The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    I pretty much agree with H de Vil view of Russell's success on "Doctor Who". Tennant brought more viewers to the show that would not have otherwise watched. Russell created stories and characters that we haven't had since, and left the audience hanging to come back and see the next episode. Moffat is skilled without doubt but sent the show into a more cult era again and ignored the wider British audience. Matt Smith was the best thing about the era, a most skilled and accomplished actor but didn't always get the best stories. I think Moffat risks boring the audience. Capaldi will bring in casual viewers who don't normally watch just as Tennant and Tate did.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Neil_N wrote: »
    CrapEnders is on all year round. Conmonwealth Games every four years. Sooner the BBC end this crap the better.

I agree the BBC should scrap The Commonwealth Games. :D
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    1.04m excl +1 for BB. To be honest, I thought it'd do much worse. Let me know if anyone has the +1 rating.

It's interesting to see that C5 are doing a survey about Big Brother on their website, asking what you think of this series, how often you watch etc. One of the questions also asks which of the following shows you watch:
    Stand By Your Man
    CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
    Home and Away
    Neighbours
    Benefits Britain: Life on the Dole
    Friends
    Geordie Shore
    Ex On The Beach
    The Middle
    The Valleys
    Catfish: The TV Show

Gogglebox
    The Island With Bear Grylls
    My Wife and Kids
    Teen Mom

A large number (highlighted) air on Viacom channels. Perhaps they're trying to get an idea of how much crossover there is between Big Brother and some of Viacom's popular shows.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast vs Good Morning Britain / Lorraine - Week 9 - Consolidated Ratings, inc +1
    23/06 - 1.54m (38.2%) vs 477k (12.9%) / 671k (14.2%)
    24/06 - 1.52m (36.5%) vs 567k (14.8%) / 862k (18.0%)
    25/06 - 1.46m (35.5%) vs 565k (14.6%) / 720k (16.0%)
    26/06 - 1.48m (36.3%) vs 521k (13.8%) / 640k (13.9%)
    27/06 - 1.46m (35.2%) vs 530k (13.9%) / 872k (17.9%)

Really inconsistent week for ITV in the breakfast ratings.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite impressed to see Celebrity Deal or No Deal match 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown last night, especially as Deal aired against EastEnders. It probably got about 1.5m with +1 which for C4 in that slot is pretty good. Better than Celeb 15 to 1 and probably better than Million Pound Drop will do. I think it shows there's still a bit of life left in the format. I wonder if C4 might consider doing more Friday night episodes and potentially doing some live Friday night shows. They could do (and have done) a lot worse. Deal has been known to skew quite young in the past too in the right slot - I bet it did last night.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, here is how the soaps ended up last Friday consolidated with the strange schedules:

19:00 - Emmerdale: 5.52m (29.7%) / 5.63m (30.3%)
    19:30 - Coronation Street: 7.13m (34.7%) / 7.31m (35.6%)
    20:00 - Emmerdale: 5.67m (25.6%) / 6.00m (27.1%)
    20:20 - EastEnders: 4.85m (21.0%)*
    20:30 - Coronation Street: 6.73m (28.1%) / 7.15m (29.8%)

* 624k (20.8%) for the Friday episode in the omnibus block
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Breakfast vs Good Morning Britain / Lorraine - Week 9 - Consolidated Ratings, inc +1

I think it just highlights more the default viewers BBC Breakfast has. Being on for so many years viewers have got into the habit of watching everyday. I imagine it is older viewers who get stuck in the same routine.

The Monday figure for GMB is very poor.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CrapEnders is on all year round. Conmonwealth Games every four years. Sooner the BBC end this crap the better.

This isn't a positive or productive post.

Millions watch EE and even more watch it on IPlayer it holds up the evening schedule and gets across very important social messages.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Apparently the Doctor Who premiere will be 75 minutes, which probably won't fit with my idea of a 8.15pm start, 7.45pm seems more likely. Could still be 8.15pm for the rest of its run though. How long are we expecting Tumble to be, I've been assuming it will be 75 minutes but could it be shorter, or longer?
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

D.M.N. why does Lorraine get an increase of viewers? Why don't ITV just run Lorraine from 6-9.22am?
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

Than are some awful figures for GMB. 13-15% with no bank holidays or half terms to blame either.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    This isn't a positive or productive post.

Millions watch EE and even more watch it on IPlayer it holds up the evening schedule and gets across very important social messages.

EE still gets 7 million viewers and I think Emmerdale is in a bigger mess now. Also what could BBC One put in this slot now that would do so well, and also fair play to the BBC for keeping it to four episodes a week.
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen the soap ratings and there pretty good epecially EE that was a decent share for it.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    EE still gets 7 million viewers and I think Emmerdale is in a bigger mess now. Also what could BBC One put in this slot now that would do so well, and also fair play to the BBC for keeping it to four episodes a week.

Fully agree.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    D.M.N. why does Lorraine get an increase of viewers? Why don't ITV just run Lorraine from 6-9.22am?

Thats basically what the last 18 months of Daybreak was. Some of the Lorraine figures are dangerously low too but the best thing they can do is stick with both shows and see if things improve. Axing or revamping yet again for what will effectively be the same shows will reduce that audience further.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I thinks its pretty certain that will not happen - its BBC2 or nothing.
    It looks like BBC Two, unfortunately.

If anyone at the BBC thinks the Commonwealth Games are going to be London Olympics 2012 Mk II, they're heading for ratings disappointment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the Doctor Who premiere will be 75 minutes, which probably won't fit with my idea of a 8.15pm start, 7.45pm seems more likely. Could still be 8.15pm for the rest of its run though. How long are we expecting Tumble to be, I've been assuming it will be 75 minutes but could it be shorter, or longer?

It is meant to be a feature length episode. I think Tumble will start at 6.45pm with Pointless on beforehand, Doctor Who will follow around 7.45pm/8pm.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I get fed up with the "you should put up with Commonwealth Games/Olympics/World Cup/Euro's as it's only once every four years" comments. Technically it's every other year because it's Commonwealth Games/World Cup then a year break then Olympics and Euro's then a year break then Commonwealth Games again and so on. It isn't that I object to sports coverage, it's the excessiveness of the coverage that grates on me. Why should all the loyal viewers of the soaps/other shows that generate their ratings be inconvenienced? Annoy these viewers and you could lose them forever: i'e: the periods when sport isn't on. TV, especially the BBC is for everyone and we all pay for the BBC. So as such EVERYONE, not just sports fans should be accommodated, including BBC1 viewers.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is meant to be a feature length episode. I think Tumble will start at 6.45pm with Pointless on beforehand, Doctor Who will follow around 7.45pm/8pm.

I can see The X Factor starting on August 23rd, if it does it will be on earlier and X Factor afterwards.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    I think it just highlights more the default viewers BBC Breakfast has. Being on for so many years viewers have got into the habit of watching everyday. I imagine it is older viewers who get stuck in the same routine.

The Monday figure for GMB is very poor.

Please add the 'BBC default viewers' to 'ITV weekly reach' to my list of phrases which should be banned on here. ;-)
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I get fed up with the "you should put up with Commonwealth Games/Olympics/World Cup/Euro's as it's only once every four years" comments. Technically it's every other year because it's Commonwealth Games/World Cup then a year break then Olympics and Euro's then a year break then Commonwealth Games again and so on. It isn't that I object to sports coverage, it's the excessiveness of the coverage that grates on me. Why should all the loyal viewers of the soaps/other shows that generate their ratings be inconvenienced? Annoy these viewers and you could lose them forever: i'e: the periods when sport isn't on. TV, especially the BBC is for everyone and we all pay for the BBC. So as such EVERYONE, not just sports fans should be accommodated, including BBC1 viewers.
    BBC Three and ITV 2 could logically show the soaps as an alternative to the football, and both stations would see a big jump in audiences, particularly with heavy promotion by the two main channels.
    I will admit, the mindumbing build up to the matches could be done away with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I can see The X Factor starting on August 23rd, if it does it will be on earlier and X Factor afterwards.

I suspect you might be right. The BBC will want to protect DW from TXF and might throw potential flop Tumble into the slot opposite XF.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    BBC Three and ITV 2 could logically show the soaps as an alternative to the football, and both stations would see a big jump in audiences, particularly with heavy promotion by the two main channels.
    I will admit, the mindumbing build up to the matches could be done away with.

Next you'll be telling us your not quite as fond of the soaps as you make out.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    I suspect you might be right. The BBC will want to protect DW from TXF and might throw potential flop Tumble into the slot opposite XF.

:D:D Yes.
  • welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    CrapEnders

:o:o But EE is "on fire" now..best thing on British TV?? No cliches or recycled, predictable claptrap anywhere to be seen. It is now a resounding example of intelligent, gripping drama which doesn't use unimaginative surprises or halfbaked crowd pleasers (crowd pleasers at this stage being almost anything to let EE fans old and new feel like all is well again, even when the general theme is garbage. Things look awfully good after being at rock bottom for many years).
This discussion has been closed.