Tripper's Day (1984) & Slinger's Day (1986 - 1987)

BBrooksBBrooks Posts: 23
Forum Member
Has anybody seen these two sitcoms that are now available on DVD. I've read lots of mixed comments/reviews for it, can anyone on here recommend them?

Trippers Day starred Leonard Rossiter (in one of his last roles) as Norman Tripper, the manager of a London Supermarket called "Supafare". He has a lot to put up with, as his staff are a bunch of useless layabouts.
It was written by Brian Cooke, I've only ever seen a few clips of this and it looked good.

After Rossiter's death, the show was revived 2 years later with Bruce Forsyth taking over as Cecil Slinger. A lot of people have said this version is better, it ran for 2 series and was Brucie's first (and only) foray into Comedy Acting.
Certain episodes of Slinger's Day were written by the great David Renwick.

Comments

• zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBrooks wrote: »
    Has anybody seen these two sitcoms that are now available on DVD. I've read lots of mixed comments/reviews for it, can anyone on here recommend them?

Trippers Day starred Leonard Rossiter (in one of his last roles) as Norman Tripper, the manager of a London Supermarket called "Supafare". He has a lot to put up with, as his staff are a bunch of useless layabouts.
    It was written by Brian Cooke, I've only ever seen a few clips of this and it looked good.

After Rossiter's death, the show was revived 2 years later with Bruce Forsyth taking over as Cecil Slinger. A lot of people have said this version is better, it ran for 2 series and was Brucie's first (and only) foray into Comedy Acting.

I liked them, mind you it was over twenty years ago I last saw them. I preferred it with Bruce Forsyth actually. I think the guy who played Dave Quinn in The Bill was in it as well.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    last thing on tv LR did before his sudden death
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched them because a friend of mine was in them, but I would imagine they would be very dated by now.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were dated at the time, probably embarrassing now.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rubbish, as most ITV sitcoms were.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,526
    Forum Member
    I watched them when they were on originally and enjoyed them, but I was only a kid at the time :D I don't remember a thing about them though! I'd like to see them again for curiosity's sake and see if I'd find them funny now.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Not strictly speaking true as Brucie had a minor role in the Disney film Bedknobs and Broomsticks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y0Q7Qx_i0A
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched both as a kid when they were on around 30 years ago, enjoyed them back then but then again I also used to enjoy Bobby Davro, Cannon & Ball and Copy Cats, so, I don't entirely trust my judgement around that period.

I heard recently that it wasn't a very suitable vehicle for Rossiter, but Brucie was pretty good when he took it over.

I wouldn't mind checking it out for old times sake. Even if it's crap, there's the nostalgia factor and the novelty of seeing Brucie act in a sitcom (or a sh*tcom).
  • rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved both of these, they probably look dated but I may be tempted to purchase them :D
  • BBrooksBBrooks Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Not strictly speaking true as Brucie had a minor role in the Disney film Bedknobs and Broomsticks

I never knew that and I've seen "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" many times. lol He also did the cartoon series "The Fiddley Foodle Bird" which he narrated.
    I remember seeing an interview with Bruce where he said that he "regretted" doing so many Game Shows over the years. I think he would have made an alright Actor, it seemed the natural progression for him as an Entertainer. It's a shame that it never worked out for him, Slinger's Day was his only sitcom.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never knew that and I've seen "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" many times. lol He also did the cartoon series "The Fiddley Foodle Bird" which he narrated.
    I remember seeing an interview with Bruce where he said that he "regretted" doing so many Game Shows over the years. I think he would have made an alright Actor, it seemed the natural progression for him as an Entertainer. It's a shame that it never worked out for him, Slinger's Day was his only sitcom.

I remember seeing the film on TV donkey's years ago and thinking "that guy looks familiar" and then being quite surprised when I saw Brucie's name in the end credits