Are caravan(trailer) Parks the answer to our housing crisis?.

U96U96 Posts: 13,937
Forum Member
✭✭
Seems it's a total nightmare for young people trying to find somewhere affordable to live these days.
Outrageous prices for both rent and buying.Eye watering sums for the folk just starting out in life.It's just not on.
What would people say to going the same way as the USA and having vast swathes of Counties with caravan parks(with all the facilities)?.

Apologies for the spelling mistake in the first option.I blame the Coors.:blush:

Should we build low cost caravan park communities for the young?. 49 votes

Yes.At least thye'll have money left over for living.
55% 27 votes
No.They have to pay for bricks and mortar.
26% 13 votes
Not sure.Is it really the way to bring up kids?.
12% 6 votes
Not bothered.I've paid off my mortgage.
6% 3 votes

Comments

• yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think the people who already live in the country side will accept this?

I don't think so.:D
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »

I don't see why not.It's not like they'll be the usual suspects.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't happen in the UK, the planners won't allow it to happen unless they are the travelling community.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »

Wouldn't bother me. In fact, I'd rather live in a fully paid for trailer with no rent or rather some nominal ground rent whatever you call it - had friends in trailer parks in US - they were fine.

Thinking about it, an old friend of mine in the East Mids lives in her parents' old mobile home - parents gave her it when she became bankrupt through no fault of her own. They'd lived there years - had a nice little garden and everything.

I'd also like to live in a wartime style Prefab. We had Prefabs in the village where I grew up and the folk who lived in them, loved them.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I practically live in a caravan at the mo but still pay over 500 quid to keep the house on.

I would recommend it to those who want to save and can find a site with an eleven month lease.
    Beware of ground rents tho. They can be collosal. Ours is approx £2 200 per annum for no additional facilities other than water included.

BUT for those who live here, that is all they pay.... no counciltax etc.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    I practically live in a caravan at the mo but still pay over 500 quid to keep the house on.

I would recommend it to those who want to save and can find a site with an eleven month lease.
    Beware of ground rents tho. They can be collosal. Ours is approx £2 200 per annum for no additional facilities other than water included.

Joni, I nearly bought one a few years back and have always regretted that I didn't. Can't afford it now!:D

Councils should free up planning restrictions to build prefabs - I'd happily live in one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Woodsie lives in a log cabin.

Give him a shout :)

Eta. He is already in the thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Won't happen in the UK, the planners won't allow it to happen unless they are the travelling community.

Yes,it seems there's one rule for them and one for everyone else.
    I think it's a national disgrace the way people starting out on the housing ladder are being treated these days.As if they don't have enough to worry about getting a job(on piss poor money).
    Then,when they get one.They have to pay an absolute fortune just to get a roof over their heads.No wonder so many are staying with parents,into their 30's!.:o
    Now I read about parents taking out new mortgages just to try and help their children buy a place of their own.I can't help but think the GBP are being stitched up good time here.>:(
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Living in a Caravan in the UK today is not cheap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Joni, I nearly bought one a few years back and have always regretted that I didn't. Can't afford it now!:D

Councils should free up planning restrictions to build prefabs - I'd happily live in one.

Aw. You wouldnt regret it. I grow loads of veg in the garden it is fab.
    It would suit you too for the solitude of your research etc.

Do It :D
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Caravan's probably aren't that much cheaper than housing though, at least not in the mid to long term and once you've allowed for the cost of the land/services being laid in, and they don't come anywhere near the comfort of a bricks and morter house (things like keeping them warm in winter, long term viability).

My parents lived in a caravan for about a year in the 60's or 70's when they first got married, mainly because at the time there was a shortage of housing in their area (still rebuilding after the war I think), and to let them save up for the deposit on their first mortgage, but whilst I think it was fun at times for them, they always mention the downsides.
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what about jobs? their are no jobs in rural places so would they travel to central London with the price of transport fare?
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't bother me myself, I'm not materialistic but I wouldn't like to raise a family in one. Kids need a bit of space or they get cabin fever aandwant to kill each other. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother me. In fact, I'd rather live in a fully paid for trailer with no rent or rather some nominal ground rent whatever you call it - had friends in trailer parks in US - they were fine.

Thinking about it, an old friend of mine in the East Mids lives in her parents' old mobile home - parents gave her it when she became bankrupt through no fault of her own. They'd lived there years - had a nice little garden and everything.

I'd also like to live in a wartime style Prefab. We had Prefabs in the village where I grew up and the folk who lived in them, loved them.

I think we have to do something.Of course people are conditioned to think caravan=undesirables.'Trailer park trash and all that'.
    I'm talking a Govt funded and regulated solution to the outrageous housing costs for the majority of the(young) UK population.
    I can't think of anything worse than paying £70k for a 1 bedroom flat.:(
  • Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    I'd imagine opposition from older homeowners would be fierce if such sites were proposed nearby - such would be the threat to local property values.

Whilst I agree this is possibly the only realistic long-term solution to housing younger people (esp immigrants), we'd have to place them well out of site of existing communities. This is certainly more desirable than an explosion of bed-in-sheds.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, more houses and less immigration please.

When there are more houses than demand prices will drop and when there are more jobs and less people wages will rise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point of living in caravans as a MAIN home is that outside heating, you can save a lot towards a deposit on a house if that is what you choose to do.

3 grand max per year . No brainer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather ex shipping container homes.

Much, much cheaper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All of these holiday home site scammers have it coming to them.All this crap about 'you can't live there permanently,got to sell your van after so many years'.Outrageous fees for everything else.
    Under Govt control that would all stop.We could learn a lot from the American way of doing things.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living in RV has almost become the norm in the US... this is not the way forward and I wouldn't want to see peeps living in their cars either. :(

The Tories are too afraid of popping the property bubble to build new houses but this is what we need, especially in London :( :mad:
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it too late to recommend squatting empty properties? :blush:;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Living in a Caravan in the UK today is not cheap.

Traditionally,no.I agree.But sooner a £20k mortgage on a caravan,than £80k an a 1 bedroom flat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, more houses and less immigration please.

When there are more houses than demand prices will drop and when there are more jobs and less people wages will rise.

Oh my goodness. There ARE enough houses, they just are not affordable!
    Wages only rise in line with inflation WHEN and only when the economy meets the economic climate.
    People are living beyond their means as fluctuations occur.

The same amount of jobs are there as were available twenty years ago. There are more of us tho and that isn't necessarily due to immigration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    All of these holiday home site scammers have it coming to them.All this crap about 'you can't live there permanently,got to sell your van after so many years'.Outrageous fees for everything else.
    Under Govt control that would all stop.We could learn a lot from the American way of doing things.

The law changed last year. They cant do many of those things any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Woodsie lives in a log cabin.

Give him a shout :)

Eta. He is already in the thread.

Thanks Joni:)

I do, on a private site. Not residential though, I do live here permanently, apart from my month away in Feb. I have a touring caravan that I move into the village for the month. I have to have a residential address in the UK:).

Our site fees are £1700 a year. It's a beautiful site. Cabins are over £100k so it's not a cheap option.

I even have broadband and satellite TV.