New Samsung 'R7' series

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Yes, optical out. I have my speakers plugged into it and it sounds great. To be honest I dont think the sound is that bad without the speakers. The only thing I was shocked at is the PS2 graphics in gameplay (roll on PS3 :)).

I play Pro evo and the cinema scenes were good, the game mode works well to focus the image but due to the sharpness of the samsung there are a lot of pixel disformations and it made the PS2 look like a PS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Well, as promised Dixons (Currys, whoever) called 30 minutes before they were due to arrive giving me enough time to shoot home from the office.

They dropped it off, waited whilst I checked it was the correct one (it is) and then off they went.

It's set up and I've fiddled with it a little. I can't comment on the Freeview channels because I live in an area with hardly any reception.

When they say it shows real blacks, they mean it - and reds, blues, greens - in fact the colour reproduction is amazing. The blacks produced on the screen virtually match the black exterior of the tv (and for anyone who has seen one in the flesh, it's very very black indeed!) which surprised me. It's easily better than any CRT tv I have seen.

A friend of mine has the Pioneer plasma (you know the one - black and £2600) and I can honestly say I couldn't see the difference. Sure, viewing standard Sky programmes the picture isn't as sharp as on a 32", but that's nothing to do with the tv itself, just the sheer size of the screen. DVD's are razor-sharp, which is where you really notice the difference. Plus, I'm only using basic Scart leads.

The sound doesn't have a great deal of bass to it (not surprising for a tv this flat), but to be honest even when listening to music (MTV Base was used as a test), you can hardly notice it. At loud volumes there's no distortion, and the sound seems to carry really well around all parts of the room.

To sum up, it looks bloody fantastic, the image is amazing and the sound doesn't suffer as much as you would expect coming from a CRT to a flat panel. For £1300, there's nothing else on the market at the moment I would consider - and I think I'm right in saying that to get something as good as this from another manufacturer you're probably likely to end up spending £400 - £500 more, which is the price of a decent surround system, meaning you'll end up with superior sound to boot for the same cash.

If you're wondering whether to get one or not, just get one - you won't be disappointed.

NOW THEN - can anyone tell me the best way to connect my standard Sky box and DVD player to it to get the best results?
  • dpmarshalldpmarshall Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phaetonlwb wrote:
    To sum up, it looks bloody fantastic

Thanks for the review - it sounds as good as I expected it to be. Mine's due to come on Saturday. :)

Thanks
    Dave
    Forum Member
    @ Phaetonlwb

Go for the digital optical out and the PROFIGOLD SCART CABLE. It has 24 karat gold plating and carries a lifetime guarantee.

How did you get it at Currys for £1300 ??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Phaetonlwb thats a cool review - you convinced me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    ordered samsung le26r73 bd which is the model with dark blue flash above stand, I think dixons have the 73 as a special. ordered using code 835543wp gives discount of £154.99 leaving total to pay £645 including delivery. due to be delivered tuesday. will update.
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    I've had the LE32R74BDX on order from 24Electric who offer the best price at something like £798 inc. delivery but it's been out of stock all this time and they still don't know when they're getting it.

So, I've decided to indulge my impatience and cancel with them and go for Let's Go Digital who have it for £832 including free next-day delivery! I'm off work tommorrow anyway and have the bank holiday weekend to look forward to, so - should be fun!

EDIT: Can reccomend this company - I just called them because after the last experience I wanted to make sure they have in stock so it will be here tommorrow. I guess it's a fairly small company because the guy knew my order straight away and confirmed it's in stock. Worth looking at them if you want the 32" and you want it ASAP!

ANOTHER EDIT(!): Err.. guess what? Just had a call from 24 Electric asking if I still want to cancel because they've just found out they're getting stock today..! Yikes. Well, I'm set on getting it tommorrow now anyway, so I'm still cancelling, but if anyone wants to get the 32" for the cheapest possible price then www.24electric.com does have the cheapest available at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    benjam wrote:
    @ Phaetonlwb

Go for the digital optical out and the PROFIGOLD SCART CABLE. It has 24 karat gold plating and carries a lifetime guarantee.

How did you get it at Currys for £1300 ??

Hi Benjam,

Already got a Cambridge Audio gold scart - but have found that changing the Sky output settings from RGB to PAL has made a huge difference (thanks to Sky technical team for the advice).

Got it from Dixons online (same group of companies as Currys and PC World) following a link from price comparison web site (I can't remember the address I'm afraid), but anyway - Empire Direct have now matched it, and http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk are doing it for £1,299.00 (but out of stock until 9th May - just checked them). Keep your eye on pricerunner.co.uk or Unbeatable.com.

For the record, I usually hate dealing with high street stores, but ordering online I must admit I have only had good experiences, so it's probably worth sticking to them - you can't order if they're out of stock, so your money stays where it is!
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karakal wrote:
    I've been thinking of getting the LE26R41B and reading this thread made me go and check the new 74 series. Page 5 of the pdf manual states; 'Do not attempt to connect the HDMI/DVI connector to a PC or Laptop Graphics Card. This seems to be related to the TVs 'compatible video output modes' 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p,1080i. OK, so Samsung says, HDMI 'allows the transmission of high definition digital video data and multiple channels of digital audio (5.1). I'm OK so far.
    I know DVI only sends video, and there are 3 different types of DVI connections (DVI-A for analogue, DVI-D for digital and DVI-I for both. But most graphic cards are probably like my Sapphire ATI 9550 with a DVI-I connector for integrated analogue and digital video output. Its supposed to be HDCP compliant too, so I can't understand why you can only connect your HDMI/DVI cable to STBs, DVDs, or game consoles. If say, you wanted to play some of the Microsoft HD clips at 720p, to test getting HD from your PC, would it work then, which I assume is what Stig's (very helpful) review was referring to, or is it completely no go ? (Anyone else tested this?) Are all LCD TVs with only a HDMI connector like this or just Samsung?
    (There's an LG 26LX2R with HDMI and separate DVI-i connectors). While I'm OK with connecting the PC through VGA, it will mean only analogue from the PC to TV. There must be others who'd like to use their HDTV as a HD monitor as well, and I'm under the impression that with other manufacturers, like the LG, you can? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Thanks for any feedback.
    I've just tried connecting a PC to my LE26R74 via DVI to HDMI and it does work, despite what the manual says! However, you get a much better picture via VGA as you get perfect pixel matching at 1360x728 resolution, which is better than 720p anyway.

Anyone want to buy a nearly new DVI to HDMI cable?
    Forum Member
    Honestly, your best bet is RGB. Good price and service, i dont work for them but they were great when I ordered mine. Do you know what the best thing about this telly is? I cant find ANY dead pixels.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead pixels is one of the advantages of buying on-line. If you find a dead pixel, you have the right to send it back and demand your money back within 7 days. You'll probably have to pay the postage though. You can then buy another one....
  • shades8438shades8438 Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hi,
    I have the 26 inch R4 series samsung the problem i have had with using RGB output with standard sky box is that seem to leave lines on the screen its the box as the newest Pace box has a problem with RGB output using scart leads I have heard about this problem with Pace. So it another reason that I am upgradeing to SKY HD to get new box as well as PVR and of course HD programing
    Forum Member
    Well, my 32" arrived first thing this morning, less than 24 hours after ordering, and I'm really pleased with it. The freeview picture is much better than loads of HD screens I've seen in the shops and DVDs look great through scart.

Of course where it really excels is with HD video pumped into it from the PC, looks fantastic, can't wait for Sky HD. Have been playing around with the duel monitor settings on the PC for half the day, still haven't got it quite right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Well, my 32" arrived first thing this morning, less than 24 hours after ordering, and I'm really pleased with it. The freeview picture is much better than loads of HD screens I've seen in the shops and DVDs look great through scart.

Of course where it really excels is with HD video pumped into it from the PC, looks fantastic, can't wait for Sky HD. Have been playing around with the duel monitor settings on the PC for half the day, still haven't got it quite right.

Where did you buy it from?
    Forum Member
    MBS wrote:
    Where did you buy it from?

www.letsgodigital.co.uk - £833, nice people too. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hey i dont no weather to go for the 26 inch or the 32 is there a lot of diffrence and what would you say the best dvd is to play on this tv to see its real quailty, and i have £500 to spend on a surround system any suggestions? thanks loads
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Does the TV's Graphic equaliser affect the Optical Sound Output ? I'm hoping to connect this TV to a home Cinema Amp Via Optical. Anyone know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phaetonlwb wrote:
    If you're wondering whether to get one or not, just get one - you won't be disappointed.

Mine has now arrived, and it is as good as promised.

The display is *so* clear that it's completely unforgiving though - a crap, artefacted source will result in a completely accurate, crap, artefacted image on the screen. :) The best sources look utterly stunning. Five on Sky looks incredibly clear and rich.

One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to support widescreen switching over SCART, unless I've done something wrong.

Dave
  • sicknote10sicknote10 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote:
    Does the TV's Graphic equaliser affect the Optical Sound Output ? I'm hoping to connect this TV to a home Cinema Amp Via Optical. Anyone know?

just had a play about with that, and it does affect the optical output
    Forum Member
    sicknote10 wrote:
    just had a play about with that, and it does affect the optical output

Thanks sicknote :D
    Forum Member
    dpmarshall wrote:
    Mine has now arrived, and it is as good as promised.

The display is *so* clear that it's completely unforgiving though - a crap, artefacted source will result in a completely accurate, crap, artefacted image on the screen. :) The best sources look utterly stunning. Five on Sky looks incredibly clear and rich.

One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to support widescreen switching over SCART, unless I've done something wrong.

Dave
    Whats the freeview quality like? is it the same ie - Quizcall (the crappest quality channel) is pin sharp crap ? etc, or is even BBC1 poor? - Doubt i will be getting Sky for it, so it has to look good on Freeview!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote:
    Whats the freeview quality like? is it the same ie - Quizcall (the crappest quality channel) is pin sharp crap ? etc, or is even BBC1 poor? - Doubt i will be getting Sky for it, so it has to look good on Freeview!

Freeview quality is surprisingly good. Certainly better than the Freeview box I used with my old TV.

(Re my SCART widescreen switching - it started working just after I posted, so lord knows what I'd done wrong :o)

Dave
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here goes - the first 'problem' on my LE26R74.

I'm getting a buzzing from the chassis (sympathetic vibration?) at certain sound frequencies. I find I have to put the volume up to around 60/100 sometimes, and then the buzzing starts to occur, especially in 'Music' mode.

I have my TV wall mounted, but the buzzing is definitely coming from the TV and not the mount. I may try tightening the screws at the back holding the two halves of the case together and see if that helps, unless anyone else has a suggestion...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    old fellow wrote:
    ordered samsung le26r73 bd which is the model with dark blue flash above stand, I think dixons have the 73 as a special. ordered using code 835543wp gives discount of £154.99 leaving total to pay £645 including delivery. due to be delivered tuesday. will update.

delivered today as promise after phoning last night to give time between 10 o.c. and 2 o.c. superb set no bad pixels. roll on lot's of h.d. programs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hey i dont no weather to go for the 26 inch or the 32 is there a lot of diffrence and what would you say the best dvd is to play on this tv to see its real quailty, and i have £500 to spend on a surround system any suggestions? thanks loads