Options

Michelle - is she really that good?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What do you think of michelle?
From reading the text messages people had sent in on pop idol on itv2, the vast majority of people think she is brilliant & say she's going to win!

I don't think she is that good though, I think there are definetely better singers in her heat. I hope people aren't going to vote for her just because she is large!

ceri xxx

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hope not either or it will be like last year with rik waller and the email campaign to keep the big one in and vote for him to win

i think she is one of the better ones there
  • Options
    CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,487
    Forum Member
    She is a good singer; I just hope she remains realistic about her prospects, i.e. by not doing a Rik and setting out on some futile crusade.
  • Options
    Ron JeremyRon Jeremy Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she's alright, but needs to go on a serious diet :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Ron Jeremy

Why does she need to go on a diet.....I am quite certain all the people that are going to vote for Michelle like myself love her the way she is.....Its time for a change....Whoever said that a popidol must be skin and bone......

Michelle has personality and is genuine....she has the voice to make it to the end.....Size should not be an issue.....Michelle can represent the pop world just like Will and Gareth and the numerous others out there do and can sell as much music as they do....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, and pigs might fly one day too...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by CaptainSensible
    Yeah, and pigs might fly one day too...

Well excuse me....Don't you know of any fat people that have made it in the music industry.................It's about singing not glamour modelling......

David won FA and he is more or less dead now....And alot of people thought he was gorgeous and had the face for the popworld but that wasnt enough...

People buy cd's to listen to music ......Not to watch a slim bird half naked
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see she topped the phone in poll in today's Sun with 15% of the vote,with Chris in second place with 7%.

Must say it would be quite refreshing to see someone like her beat all the pretty boys :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AAAAAAAAAAh lets turn the tables since this is about looks....Would people rather some gorgeous female or handsome male with looks to die for but cant sing win....Would you buy thats persons cd even though they cant hit a note....

I don't think so....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I think that Michelle has a much better voice than Rik and I also think that she dresses and looks much better. MOST importantly I think her attitude is way ahead of what Rik's ever was.

That said I don't think she is a 'pop' idol. Her voice is not pop - for me anyway. She is not going to compete with Kylie or Robbie or the likes just because she is unlikely to generate the media attention and hype those guys create by their appearance. She should go through (although I think this is a very difficult heat) and she should make a career out of it. I just think she is in a different category. Given the right song and image there is no reason why she could not have a career like Alyson Moyet - great songs - great voice - deveoted fans - sellout gigs at smaller venues - Overall, very successful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are lots of fat people that have made it in the music industry, but only because they had exceptional voices and were exceptional songwriters/musicians (or were teamed up with one).

Michelle has a great voice, but it is an exceptional voice? As for material, let's just say I'm skeptical (not Michelle's fault). It's quite possible that she can make a career out of singing, but I don't think Pop Idol is going to deliver it.

The problem with Pop Idol is that the associated material is usually pants; when you have fantastic original songs to sing, very few people care what you look like.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's done exactly the opposite. She's going to get through because she's as big as she is. The press are practically saying "awwww look at the big girl, isn't it nice that she can sing, let's show them all we're not as shallow as they think and teach those judges a lesson while we're at it. ......and by the way can we get a picture of a skinny bird with big tits for the next page our readers need something to look at"

There''s no novelty here. Aretha Franklyn and Chaka Khan were big girls. It worked for them. Michelle's good but she's not that good. Emma's a better singer but she looks average and average is much worse than 'fat' on this show.
  • Options
    risingstarrisingstar Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Ron Jeremy

I was shocked yesterday when she was exposing her arm's. It just didn't look that nice and this is not a critism of fat people. She should just learn to dress a bit better in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by anagelicrachel
    I was shocked yesterday when she was exposing her arm's. It just didn't look that nice and this is not a critism of fat people. She should just learn to dress a bit better in my opinion.

how can "it didnt look nice" not be a criticism of fat people?

dressing better is subjective.
    she has lost weight since her initial audition(a couple of stone i think?) and presumably will continue to do so with attitudes being what they are about people
  • Options
    risingstarrisingstar Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by kaye
    how can "it didnt look nice" not be a criticism of fat people?

She used to dress better in my opinion but what she had on yesterday in my opinion did not suit her shape. Yes, she can wear whatever she wants and big people who do so are brave but it doesn't mean that i think that it should look good. It didn't to me. She is not just overweight though, she is a little larger than that and she does not have to change and i applaud her if she does not change. But if you see someone who is obese wearing a mini skirt, most people will think it does not suit them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    its just a sympathy vote at the moment, later on when people start thinking about who they want on their screens her popularity will fade.

to be honest its a bit insulting to her just to vote for her cos shes huge, like ol pete waterman said "she aint a pop idol son..."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by marc_1st
    its just a sympathy vote at the moment, later on when people start thinking about who they want on their screens her popularity will fade.

to be honest its a bit insulting to her just to vote for her cos shes huge, like ol pete waterman said "she aint a pop idol son..."

Whats your definition of a "POP IDOL".....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by kewlkitten
    Whats your definition of a "POP IDOL".....

if its a bloke then its someone id like to be LIKE
    if its a girl then its someone id like to be WITH

thats my definition of idol, the pop bit means they have to able to sing too of course.
  • Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that she was excelletn in the auitions and had in my head what a brilliant singer she was.

I don't know if i caught her on a bad night but I heard her last ngith and thought oh that wasnt good at all. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Put a smile on your face Michelle.....She is in a right state as she thinks she is getting sympathy votes.......Losing confidence there .......

She thinks the press and others who are going to vote for her will do just for pity......

Im voting for her because I think....'key words' I think she has an amazing voice, personality, courage, talent, genuine..among other qualites and I would like to listen to her music.....
  • Options
    matt.bmatt.b Posts: 8,815
    Forum Member
    hehe soon she will pop up in model behaviour and win it :)

go michelle go :D
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has a good voice, but I can't help thinking that people simply like her because of her size. People think they're being clever supporting someone who is the opposite to everyone who got through last year, but it's just bandwagon jumping which I absolutely detest.

I think if she was just damn ugly instead of fat, no one would care. Maybe I'm just bitter because Rebecca isn't going to get through
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I havent been watching it much to be honest, but from what I've seen today of her singing 'Dont be a stranger' she wasnt anything special. I dont know what the big fuss is about. Well, I do...its because of her size. As people have said, people are just jumping on the bandwagon to be seen as politically correct....but when that happens its just as bad as kicking her out because she is big.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think she has got a good voice - a voice that is good enough to have a career on.
    i wouldn't be suprised if she gets the 'large girl' sympathy vote, but she won't be getting it from me. i'll be voting depending on the performances on the night.
    also - you can't really compare her to Rik Waller. she's totally different in her attitude. Rik just thought that the world was against him because he was big and so therefore people owed him something. Michelle just accepts the fact that she's large and is quite happy the way she is.

also - Ruben won American Idol 2, and he was pretty large. ok, so the american market is a bit different, but as you grow older its the music and not the looks that become more important.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point is, she perhaps doesn't deserve to win (or even go through this week) regardless of her appearance. It's actually going to HELP her.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by CaptainSensible
    She is a good singer; I just hope she remains realistic about her prospects, i.e. by not doing a Rik and setting out on some futile crusade.

Michelle said today that she's recently lost 2 and a half stone and feels better for it, although she said she has always been quite happy and comfortable with being larger.. She said she's pleased by the feedback so far, but is aware that people are routing for her because she doesn't fall into the typical pop idol image. So she said she's torn now as to whether to carry on losing the weight.

I personally I like her and she does have a strong voice. I thought she especially shone out on Saturday, when so many others were making mistakes with their performance. However, I feel this huge surge of publicity and confidence that she's going to be the winner is too soon and might set her up for a fall. She said today she already felt under pressure. It's still early days; a "Will/Willemina" could appear from nowhere, or others have the potential to pose stiff competition.

I wish her well though, for me one of the best so far.