Help with Police Application Form!

13»

Comments

• oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isnt about othet FM's or the other trivial threads on the board .. I would have thought being a police officer would be serious business .. If you cant get through the basic questionaires then I reckon you ought to give up ...

MacDonalds are always looking for extra staff :p

These are not basic questionnaires. Job application forms these days are a lot different from the traditional ones where all you had to put were your educational and work qualifications and experience.

These are much more sophisticated, probing and questioning about the individual's character and contain many possible traps for the unwary. They require a great deal of thought, preparation and self-examination. Most people, let alone young people, are not accustomed to viewing and assessing themselves and their actions in the way required, unless they have been in work for a while and begin to understand from the inside the process of recruitment and what employers expect and look for. I have known senior executives quail before these self-assessment type of questions under the new-fangled application forms for promotion to director-level jobs.

It is perfectly sensible and intelligent for a young person who doesn't have mature judgement, experience of recruitment and self-assessment to ask for advice and opinions on how to approach the application form and what sort of examples would be acceptable.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least get your facts straight, they either were a- in the police, b- used to be in the police, c- never in the police at all or d- totally made up. So please, do change the tense, it makes all the difference.
    Try to be a little less pernickety, BV. Couldn't both tenses be applicable — i.e. I know decent, intelligent people who were in the force and decent, intelligent people who are in the force?

However, it seems to be a topic that gets you quite heated, since you appear to feel that all police are bastards. Or am I misunderstanding you?
  • BlackVarnishBlackVarnish Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Try to be a little less pernickety, BV. Couldn't both tenses be applicable — i.e. I know decent, intelligent people who were in the force and decent, intelligent people who are in the force?

However, it seems to be a topic that gets you quite heated, since you appear to feel that all police are bastards. Or am I misunderstanding you?

It could apply but if someone was in the police force then they would no longer be in the police force and it is a mutually exclusive term whereas are in the police force is a mutually inclusive term. It seems strange that you would use "were" instead of "are" if they are still in the police force.

To an extent you're misunderstanding me as i've yet to meet any police officers who don't enjoy the power they are given, and no i've never been arrested although I have been cautioned for apparently being a gang leader while I was 14 on the say so of a mentally deficient social outcast up the road, who even after being proven to be a liar, nothing happened to him and yet I was harrassed? So you could say that while some sentiments of "I want to make the world a safer place" may wash with some, anyone, probably you're friends also included, may realise that anyone who could actually make a difference wouldn't spend two minutes looking at joining the police force now. The powers the police have, are perfect for dealing with innocent citizens, and completely useless for dealing with actual criminals.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or it could be simply that the people who apply for the police are all seduced by power or have watched the bill too much through their formative years and are convinced that they are perfect for the job, when in reality, they are not. And the people who would be perfect for the job, are not stupid enough to do it. That's why the country is the way it is, why should someone join the police when there are very few benefits if you are actually a decent person? Anyone with the intelligence to be in the police force wouldn't want to be in it these days.

Gosh, your post alone would be an entire thread on its own.

You are entitled to your opinion and it's true people are seduced by TV.

I read somewhere once that when London Burning was at it's peak, applications to join the fire service was higher then ever.

I credit individuals with a little more savy then I think you do.

I agree there are individuals, serving officers in the police force who are not fit to wear the uniform, who are racists, bigots and violent.

My eldest son is a police officer, he has changed, I don't like certain aspects of this change.

I'm still trying to work out if this change has come about because of the community he deals and serves in or it is being imposed on him by his force.

But forces across the country need new applicants and many, many more from the ethenic communities.

If individuals/applicants were perfect for a job, they would be doing it, in this instance stupidy has nothing to do with it.

However I am left wondering at police recruitment methods and what they are looking for.

I have come to the conclusion Forces' across the country resist change unless it is imposed upon them, that their recruitment methods dismiss those indeviduals who might rock the boat slightly but would be good for the force.

There are many thousands of decent, intelligent police officers and civilians working within the police.

I have one son in the force, another who has every intention to be and a daughter who may be.

They are well rounded, decent people.

The rest of my children wouldn't touch the service.

As I said the negative response that Sunset got surprised me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    There are so many reasons but I'd like to help people, help make a safer community, give people comfort and a friendly face in times of distress, help put away scum, I'm not on some power trip, and I don't think The Bill is a true reflection on the real police just like I don't believe coronation street is in anyway like real life. Its fiction.

No matter how hard you try, you will never manage to do any of these:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are stuggling to answer these questions then seriously think about getting a bit more experience first. There will be nobody to help you in the interview when they ask you similar questions, with a guy sat in the corner marking your every word. Then there's the role plays...

I had a look at the application about this time last year... decided i needed to get a bit more behind me, and I applied to be a PCSO, which I got :)

I will be re-applying in around a years time with a bit of luck!
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the answer is don't come on to the Advice forum (of DS anyway) if you want advice on how to fill out an application form.

Good luck Sunset anyway, just go with what you have experienced if any. I used to hate questions (espcially at your age) like these on application forms because you are never quite sure what they are looking for in particular. I don't think there's a wrong answer here though, and the answers you have suggested so far sound acceptable I reckon.

Oh and I dont feel you have to justify to anyone why you want to join the Police etc IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having been through the whole police recruitment process, I can say:

If you can't answer those questions you are going for the wrong job.
    You are still very young, maybe apply when you have some more life experience and CAN answer those questions.

If you are really that stuck and falling apart over this, then you will HATE the assessment centre. Then you will have to come up with ansers to questions on the spot in the interview without having prep time.