Which flat telly.......

5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
....... is a good match for Virgin Media?

I feel its now time I got myself a flat screen TV, but im already bored with reading stuff like 50 hertz, 1024p, motion blur and all that jazz.

I just want a 32" flat telly that gives a nice picture whether im watching DVD's, standard TV and maybe one day HDTV.

This one looked good value, and the reviews arent bad:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5296235/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|cat_15701169|Televisions|14419667.htm

But I dont want to be disspointed when I get it home!
£400 is my limit.

Also, all the shops are playing HDTV through the diplay models so I cant get a realistic idea of how good it will be when I watch normal broadcasts.

The thing that drives me most nuts is when the saleman asks me what I will be watching on the telly: sport / action/ gaming etc!!
These TV's are supposed to be so advanced, but I dont remember all this hasle with a CRT!

Thanks for any help :-)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Hello mate i would go to richer sounds the extended deals are or around 10% of the cost of the tv,they have a couple of full hd 32" tellys for £250.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    ....... is a good match for Virgin Media?

I feel its now time I got myself a flat screen TV, but im already bored with reading stuff like 50 hertz, 1024p, motion blur and all that jazz.

I just want a 32" flat telly that gives a nice picture whether im watching DVD's, standard TV and maybe one day HDTV.

This one looked good value, and the reviews arent bad:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5296235/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512/c_2/3|cat_15701169|Televisions|14419667.htm

But I dont want to be disspointed when I get it home!
    £400 is my limit.

Also, all the shops are playing HDTV through the diplay models so I cant get a realistic idea of how good it will be when I watch normal broadcasts.

The thing that drives me most nuts is when the saleman asks me what I will be watching on the telly: sport / action/ gaming etc!!
    These TV's are supposed to be so advanced, but I dont remember all this hasle with a CRT!

Thanks for any help :-)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ue32c4000-32-hd-ready-led-backlit-tv-05326782-pdt.html is worth a look.

Backlit LED is much better as blacks look black colours look more lifelike etc.

Also 4 HDMI ports and USB that plays movies from usb stick or external hard drive.

Plus sleep timer if in bedroom etc.
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    I have a 37" Samsung tv. Don't bother with them, they take ages to turn on. They look nice but are pretty pants.
    Forum Member
    Get yourself a HD 1080p Projector. You can have up to 100" My cousin has one and they are amazing plus they are only around £500! So better priced than most tv's and the picture quality is amazing. All you need is a white wall.
  • toccyladtoccylad Posts: 1,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvtimes wrote: »
    I have a 37" Samsung tv. Don't bother with them, they take ages to turn on. They look nice but are pretty pants.

oh i have a samsung 40" and its fantastic can not fault it tbh just wished i had gone a bit bigger lol
    Forum Member
    toccylad wrote: »
    oh i have a samsung 40" and its fantastic can not fault it tbh just wished i had gone a bit bigger lol

I turn it on and it takes 10 seconds to actually come on.:(
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get yourself a HD 1080p Projector. You can have up to 100" My cousin has one and they are amazing plus they are only around £500! So better priced than most tv's and the picture quality is amazing. All you need is a white wall.

And put up with the noise, have to keep the room dark and watch out for those blub costs.
  • Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    You could take a look at this one?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1362199

It's a little bit higher than your budget, but it's looking a good bet for me so far.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I'm thinking of getting one and I thought they were quite good really.
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    And put up with the noise, have to keep the room dark and watch out for those blub costs.

Plus they stay in standby you can't actually turn them off.

The noise is annoying but you can turn that off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Panasonic 42in plasma here. Its about 4 years old, "only" 1080i (will take 1080p and downscale) - but that doesn't matter as broadcast HD is 1080i anyway.

Lovely bit of kit, great picture, looks fantastic either HD or with the VM box upscaling. We've been very pleased with it, although it just gets switched on/off - we hardly touch the remote as the HDMI input activates automatically & other kit such as VM box, Wii, AppleTV etc get switched through the AV amp.

I never liked LCD, but I've not really compared the latest LED backlit tv. I don't know if there are 32in plasmas, but over I'd take plasma over LCD any time!

Regards,

Ashley
  • renno69renno69 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    hi, if you're not that interested in HD (at the moment) stick with the CRT standard freeview looks better on it than on a flat screen. Until freeview HD is installed as standard on all TV's and is priced at the mark you stated, otherwise in 2-3 years you'll just have to buy another one or a new STB which i think defeats the object. You only need 1080p if you're interested in blu-ray. if you decide to get one, most important thing is viewing angle some of the very cheap ones are crap at this (i have one lol)
  • michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mine is no more noticeable than the Sky box, and you can view it just fine with the lights on or in daylight.

But yes if you use it daily you need to budget for an expensive replacement bulb every 4-6 months!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member

I've read some crap on here but this is right up there with the worst ............. nothing like chucking out a sweeping generalisation and condemning a whole product range :eek:

For me the main aspect of a TV's performance that is important is how it looks so to read about a TV that it looks nice but is pretty pants just cracks me up.
  • karma mechanickarma mechanic Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    michael37 wrote: »
    Mine is no more noticeable than the Sky box, and you can view it just fine with the lights on or in daylight.

But yes if you use it daily you need to budget for an expensive replacement bulb every 4-6 months!

2000 hour bulb on for 5.5 hours a day every day of the year will still last a year. Mine's extremely quiet, and used nowhere near as much as that.

It is true that the room needs to be darkened with most projectors unless you are using quite a small screen (and hence brighter projection) but that's not a chore since that kind of viewing seems to suit the cinematic experience - you probably wouldn't use a PJ for watching Breakfast. Horses for courses.
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    renno69 wrote: »
    hi, if you're not that interested in HD (at the moment) stick with the CRT standard freeview looks better on it than on a flat screen. Until freeview HD is installed as standard on all TV's and is priced at the mark you stated, otherwise in 2-3 years you'll just have to buy another one or a new STB which i think defeats the object. You only need 1080p if you're interested in blu-ray. if you decide to get one, most important thing is viewing angle some of the very cheap ones are crap at this (i have one lol)

Thanks everyone!
    I have checked all the links and taken onboard all of the advice.

Hi Renno. I think I will do as you suggest and stick with my CRT until HD is standard.
    Perhaps it would also be a waste of money replacing an operational CRT just to keep up with the jones's or because clever maketing has conviced the country it needs to by flat screen now.

Cheers guys
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Hi Renno. I think I will do as you suggest and stick with my CRT until HD is standard.
    Perhaps it would also be a waste of money replacing an operational CRT just to keep up with the jones's or because clever maketing has conviced the country it needs to by flat screen now.

Bear in mind a 32 inch LCD will make your room bigger! :D

A decent quality one will also give you a better picture than a CRT - I install a LOT of LCD sets, and invariably the picture is better than the CRT it replaces. But, as I mentioned, the main difference is how much bigger the room seems.

As for sets, I would strongly advise Sony or Panasonic, they might cost more - but there's good reason for that, they are better made, better performing, and more reliable.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2000 hour bulb on for 5.5 hours a day every day of the year will still last a year. Mine's extremely quiet, and used nowhere near as much as that.

It is true that the room needs to be darkened with most projectors unless you are using quite a small screen (and hence brighter projection) but that's not a chore since that kind of viewing seems to suit the cinematic experience - you probably wouldn't use a PJ for watching Breakfast. Horses for courses.

What project have you got. Just purchased a dell branded HD spec one for work and that cost over £800 and I think bulbs are 300 quid each. Still need to darken the room though.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go for Samsung 40" from argos ,150000 >1 contrast ratio ,usb/ethernet conections and £500

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5368565.htm
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    REDBUS wrote: »
    I'd go for Samsung 40" from argos ,150000 >1 contrast ratio ,usb/ethernet conections and £500

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5368565.htm

I was looking at that one too, that might be a good one for my kitchen wall!
  • dodgem22dodgem22 Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    Bear in mind a 32 inch LCD will make your room bigger! :D

A decent quality one will also give you a better picture than a CRT - I install a LOT of LCD sets, and invariably the picture is better than the CRT it replaces. But, as I mentioned, the main difference is how much bigger the room seems.

As for sets, I would strongly advise Sony or Panasonic, they might cost more - but there's good reason for that, they are better made, better performing, and more reliable.

Whats your opinion on Toshibas? i cant find a lot on the internet about their reliability etc.
  • Fletch10Fletch10 Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    Fletch10 wrote: »
    You could take a look at this one?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1362199

It's a little bit higher than your budget, but it's looking a good bet for me so far.

Would be great to hear some thoughts on the above TV?
  • karma mechanickarma mechanic Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    What project have you got. Just purchased a dell branded HD spec one for work and that cost over £800 and I think bulbs are 300 quid each. Still need to darken the room though.

Sony VPL-HW10. The current model is now the HW15, but basically the same machine.

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/product/fpjhomecinema/vpl-hw15/overview

It gives a fantastic HD picture from the V+HD box and a Sky HD box, although the Virgin box is the SA version where the menu text is very blurred when the box is set to 1080i. Over in another forum someone is trying to tell me that this is due to a very poor deinterlacer in the PJ (since it converts 1080i to 1080p) but I have a strong suspicion that it is showing the poorly-resolved menu text exactly as sent to it by the Virgin box...
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently it’s all going to be LED soon, so best save my pennies until those come down in price.

Sheesh, at this rate ill never buy one!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Apparently it’s all going to be LED soon, so best save my pennies until those come down in price.

Sheesh, at this rate ill never buy one!

I should buy one now, LED TV's have been 'coming' for many years and haven't arrived yet :D