'Authentic' Food.......As if!!!

User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Heys,

Something that's been irking me is why pubs/restaurants/etc are labelling as many items as possible with popular buzzwords such as 'authentic', 'rustique', and 'homemade'. They try and conjure up images of someone's Nana slaving away in a kitchen at home mixing up the perfect meal. I made a point recently of being aware when eating out how many places are using these terms in their menus, and I'm finding they're common across most eating establishments.

Are terms such as 'homemade' allowed to be used without any form of rules/guidelines? For example in the bistro/pub we ate in last night my pudding was (and I quote) 'homemade chocolate brownie, smoothered in an authentic chocolate sauce, covered with lashings of cream'. I asked the waitress when ordering how was it homemade and she giggled and said she didn't know, she said the brownie was from a box full of them.

When someone says authentic or rustique to me I imagine some italian/french style small village and someone slaving away hand making everything!! I don't think of some food processing plant in Banbury, which i'm sure is the more overwhelmingly likely place it's been made!!

I 'know' in the grand scheme of things it means nothing, as there's wars, poverty, and all that jazz....this just baffles me how it's taken off in recent years!!

Comments

• trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more often than not "home cooked" as opposed to "home made". The former can mean it's made in vast industrial complex in Romania and reheated in the venue's microwave. The latter means it has to have been MADE on the premises.

My current favourite is "hand sliced". It's all complete and utter bollox to make Brakes Brother's pre-made food sound sumptuous.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    It's more often than not "home cooked" as opposed to "home made". The former can mean it's made in vast industrial complex in Romania and reheated in the venue's microwave. The latter means it has to have been MADE on the premises.

My current favourite is "hand sliced". It's all complete and utter bollox to make Brakes Brother's pre-made food sound sumptuous.
    3663, nuff said.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3663, nuff said.

Lifesavers they are
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

Is that so? (more likely to say home cooked). Virtually any food could be counted as homecooked then!!

They don't fool me with their PR spun menus ;)
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heys,

.. For example in the bistro/pub we ate in last night my pudding was (and I quote) 'homemade chocolate brownie, smoothered in an authentic chocolate sauce, covered with lashings of cream'. , which i'm sure is the more overwhelmingly likely place it's been made!!
    !!

..healthy option,I see.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    ..healthy option,I see.

And your point is?

To show you can't quote someone's posts properly?
    To try come across 'clever' and 'witty'?
    To imply I over indulge?
    To draw attention to responsible eating? (ie carbon emissions)
    To act a tw*t???
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    ..healthy option,I see.

It was a pudding, what were you expecting?
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..healthy option,I see.
    And your point is?

To show you can't quote someone's posts properly?
    To try come across 'clever' and 'witty'?
    To imply I over indulge?
    To draw attention to responsible eating? (ie carbon emissions)
    To act a tw*t???
    I hate to use Americanisms....BUT jumbo1962 just got OWNED! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just can't remember who it was who said "Dolmio, serve it to an Italian and he'll punch you in the face"
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    just can't remember who it was who said "Dolmio, serve it to an Italian and he'll punch you in the face"

You ever had a Vesta Curry? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I believe to describe something on a menu as homemade, you only need to add one ingrediant.

So they can buy the brownie in already cooked, sprinkle some cocoa powder over to top, and call it home made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    The Supermarket chains have been gettting away with it for years with their 'authentic' ready to cook meals which contain far more chemicals than actual food based incredients.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing worse than Nansbread
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    You ever had a Vesta Curry? :D

Yes! when a student. Why, do they claim authenticity? :D