Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,887
    Forum Member
    monrose wrote: »
    I've never met Cilla Black and after reading this forum, I don't think I'd want to either. I've seen her name mentioned a good number of times on this forum and I didn't see a single nice word about her so she really must be a bitch

I'd love to meet her. Just so I can see her behaviour first hand for myself. So weird to think she's bezzie mates with the likes of Paul O'Grady who by all accounts is as nice as he appears.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    I'd love to meet her. Just so I can see her behaviour first hand for myself. So weird to think she's bezzie mates with the likes of Paul O'Grady who by all accounts is as nice as he appears.

Maybe he feels sorry for her, lol. He's a sucker for strays.
  • poboppobop Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Saw Russell Tovey in Soho last week, whilst he was out with friends. I didn't want to bother him. But I saw a few people approach him and he was very talkative to fans on what was clearly just a night out for him. :)
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not being funny but don't you mean you accosted him in a conversation? by "bumping into him" suggests that you both casually got chatting, which I very much doubt is the case. are you saying he instigated it? :D

and people wonder why celebs get ratty sometimes. :rolleyes:

Well, you'd be wrong. We were simply in front of the same supermarket fridge at the same time. He said 'hi' and it went from there. I didn't even acknowledge who he was. I was fortunate to be living in a place at the time where celebs get left the hell alone, so they generally go about their day just as normal people do. CZJ would drop the kids off at school everyday and wait at the gates every day along with the other mums and dads.

Edit: for the avoidance of doubt, I'm fully aware of how surreal 'chatted with Michael Douglas in front of the yoghurts' sounds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I agree that Cilla did have a pretty good, strong voice in the early days. However - I think you'll find the difference between her earlier good voice (that some remember) ... and the mostly remembered awful, weak and whiny outpourings that most people think of when they think of Ms Black - is the fact that she had her nose done! ...

Her lower register was quite acceptable to listen to. It was that awful screechy falsetto she did that put everyone off.

Another one: James May, anyone? He gave me a dirty look in the street outside a TV studio once. I wasn't trying to speak to him, or do anything in particular.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Oh I can't believe that. A friend of mine met her once and said she was as lovely in real life as she comes across on screen. I've got a lot of time for her :)

What about the farting though? :D
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »

Another one: James May, anyone? He gave me a dirty look in the street outside a TV studio once. I wasn't trying to speak to him, or do anything in particular.

The same thing happened to me once while walking down a street in Archway, north London. BBC London News presenter Mike Ramsden was walking in the other direction and gave me the biggest dirty look as we passed each other... the strange thing is it took me five minutes to even think who he was!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Cliff Richard (strangely robotic but ok), Gilbert O'Sullivan (lovely), Ricky Tomlinson (lovely), William Roache (nice), Noddy Holder (very nice), Cilla Black (too brief to comment really but nothing bad to report unusually for her!), Tom O'Connor (really nice), Rowetta (so lovely), and last but not least Bobby Ball (the nicest celeb I have met so far, lovely man) and Tommy Cannon (also lovely). Sorry about the repeated use of the word "lovely" - I need lots more coffee.
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Paul O' Grady is lovely. I met him when he came to do some filming at my work. Really nice man and very funny.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    Paul O' Grady is lovely. I met him when he came to do some filming at my work. Really nice man and very funny.

Seems to be the general consensus, doesn't it? He even manages to be funny when he's throwing a strop. Maybe he's the kind of guy who sees the 'good' in people and has accommodated Ms. Black despite her shortcomings (similar to what I said above!)
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cilla Black ? "so grand she doesn't even like sharing her car with her chauffeur"

According to someone who was chatting with Piers Morgan who he doesn't name.
  • SunnyMcSunnySunnyMcSunny Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Vince J wrote: »
    I met Jack White a few times last year after some shows. Nicest guy, humble, very funny and has a personality that fills up an entire room I've read stories of him being quite arrogant but I didn't get that impression at all! Smokes like a chimney and is incredibly tall.

Alison Mosshart is an absolute sweetheart, such a free spirit and just downright lovely.

So happy to hear this, I'm a huuuuuuuuge JW fan :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Met Matthew Corbett in Cuba - Was on an excursion and got chatting to him and his wife not knowing who he was as he had sunglasses and hat on. It took a while for the penny to drop, as I recognized his voice. It was only until he took his hat and glasses off it was confirmed.

Really down to earth lovely guy with an underlying dark humour. Me and my girlfriend hung around with him and his wife most of the day. Sold the rights to Sooty so he could retire and travel the world.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A reliable source recently told me Nicky Campbell is a bit of an ar$e.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A reliable source recently told me Nicky Campbell is a bit of an ar$e.

Ah, I used to like him, when I listened to him on Radio One, in the late 80s and early 90s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, I used to like him, when I listened to him on Radio One, in the late 80s and early 90s.

Apparently, even he's ashamed of his diva attitude back then but it can still raise it's ugly head.

I can't stand Victoria Derbyshire and, at the time, thought the whole crying thing was an over-reaction on her part but from what I've learned recently I've changed my mind.
  • SunnyMcSunnySunnyMcSunny Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Met Matthew Corbett in Cuba - Was on an excursion and got chatting to him and his wife not knowing who he was as he had sunglasses and hat on. It took a while for the penny to drop, as I recognized his voice. It was only until he took his hat and glasses off it was confirmed.

Really down to earth lovely guy with an underlying dark humour. Me and my girlfriend hung around with him and his wife most of the day. Sold the rights to Sooty so he could retire and travel the world.

I had completely forgotten that I'd met him myself. In a pub in the middle of nowhere about 4-5 years ago. He really is a lovely guy. Just had a brief chat, but as you say he's very down to earth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Lizaj wrote: »
    I met Margaret Rutherford when I was a teenager. She was appearing at the Liverpool Playhouse with John Neville,Anna and Raymond Massey,Ralph Richardson. They were all charming and prepared to sign autogrpahs in the pouring rain for 2 sodden schoolgirls but Margaret came out last and insisted we went back inside the stage door with her as "You two little girls are getting soaked" She flung her tapestry wrap over her shoulder ( just like Miss Marple) and hugged us. What a gem!

I heard a radio programme about Margaret Rutherford recently. She had a terribly sad early life. Her father murdered her grandfather and was confined to Broadmoor on and off. Her mother committed suicide by hanging and Margaret herself had mental health problems throughout her life.

She was an incredibly kind woman who helped all sorts of waifs and strays. Lucky you to experience this side of her,

Did you know that Tony Benn was her cousin?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    I went to see Slash last night. I met Slash himself, Todd Kerns and Frank Sidoris and they were all soooooo nice! Especially Frank and Slash. They took pictures and all, talked to fans and not for only 5 minutes. Very impressed
  • catboy71catboy71 Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    sofan wrote: »
    I went to see Slash last night. I met Slash himself, Todd Kerns and Frank Sidoris and they were all soooooo nice! Especially Frank and Slash. They took pictures and all, talked to fans and not for only 5 minutes. Very impressed

Have to agree with you .I've met Slash a few times too and he's always a real gent - totally down to earth.
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Melinda Messenger today. She was really lovely, genuine and nice. She opened a village shop and we had a good 5 minute chat about where we live, what places we know, me at Uni etc :) Got a picture with her too.
  • enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my mate met Clare and Sarah of Hollyoaks , they were nice.
  • grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enudzio wrote: »
    my mate met Clare and Sarah of Hollyoaks , they were nice.

World's best anecdote... :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no doubt the only person on the planet.... but I think Dusty was over-rated and at Cilla's best, I preferred her voice over Dusty's. But I will agree re Pet Clark (brilliant, such clarity) and Dionne.
    I had to laugh at her skit on room 101 knowing she's one of the worst for it.
    As for Surprise Surpise it was the most cringeworthy show on TV.
    My dad used to call it Patronise Patronise :D
    It's not much better with Holly Wilobooby except she's far better looking
    Nicer Norks :D
    Isn't as patronising but it still nauseates
    And above all doesn't sing that bloody awful nauseating intro song. :eek: :eek:
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm no doubt the only person on the planet.... but I think Dusty was over-rated and at Cilla's best, I preferred her voice over Dusty's. But I will agree re Pet Clark (brilliant, such clarity) and Dionne.

Of the four most popular British female singers in the 1960s, only Dusty and Petula had significant success in the US, the best test of an artist. Their singing ability was head and shoulders above that of Ciila and Lulu.

Cilla's big advantage was that she had a great record producer in George Martin and some good songs, although some were cover versions on American hits. Her version of the Righteous Brothers' You Lost That Lovin' Feeling was very inferior to theirs. Luckily the record buying public realised it too.

Arguably Cilla had greater success as a TV personality than as a singer.