Official Snooker Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »
    Having watched a fair amount of the German Masters I am happy to eat my hat regarding the Eurosport choice of "anchor" (sorry terrible American word that one) for their studio coverage. i was pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed Colin Murray's presentation, and as has been said, Ronnie O'Sullivan was also good value - a refreshingly forthright pundit.

Now, I am going to commit a cardinal sin; given the enthusiasm of the crowds in Berlin, and the shear size and quality of the Tempodrom, surely it is an idea venue for the World Championships. Centrally situated in Europe, reasonably easy to access from UK, and a doddle to get to from across central Europe where enthusiasm for the game is really mushrooming. Snooker is too UK-centric and a move such as this would surely do no harm to the game - though it would probably p** off the BBC.

I would love to think that the crowds throughout the Welsh Open next week will be a enthusiastic, yet generally well behaved, as those in Berlin. I fear that in comparison it may be akin to playing in a morgue.

It could certainly host another event but not the worlds. The beauty of the worlds and the Crucible is the smaller crowd, the claustrophobic space and the cosy atmosphere.

Plus you would never get the Tempodrom free for 17 days in a row
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was reading that for all the love of the German Masters it actually struggles to make a profit. Which is surprising given the size of the crowds. So even if they condensed the Worlds down to say 10 days it wouldn't be economically viable to hold it at the Tempodrome even if it could be booked for that length of time.

So if it can't host the Worlds I can't see what other event would be the point. It already hosts its own unique ranker, leave it at that but try and bump up the prize fund...
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it certainly has the potential to be the major non-UK based ranking event, its already my favourite event apart from the big three.

shame its struggling to make a profit, I would hate this event to be lessened in any way. lower prize money would mean high profile players may not play etc...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And, for my money anyway, Berlin is THE best city in Europe. Incredible place to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave Gilbert's made his first competitive 147 in the Championship League this afternoon. That's the fourth tournament maximum this year already :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst winners group ever
  • Kay_ElKay_El Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Worst winners group ever

It is a bit random.
    Ben Woollaston is a player to watch, I feel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kay_El wrote: »
    It is a bit random.
    Ben Woollaston is a player to watch, I feel.

I thought that a few years ago. He won a couple of big matches and claimed a players championship but he hasn't moved on enough yet. I actually think his ranking has gone down of late. But lets hope this Championship League kick starts his career again
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ali Carter has won his Indian Open qualifier tonight beating Lee Page 4-1, good to see his comeback still going strong. Interesting scheduling for poor Dominic Dale got beat 4-2 by Lyu Haotian tonight and then plays at 10am tomorrow morning his China Open Qualifier (v Ian Glover) !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Dominic coped very well this morning - he beat Ian Glover 5-2. Robbo also won this morning (5-3 Lyu Haotian), as did Mark Williams (5-1 Lee Walker) . This afternoon saw wins for Ronnie (5-1 Luca Brecel) and Smurf (5-1 Igor Figueiredo) and the afternoon session has just ended with Ashley Carty beating Jimmy Whte 5-4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judd Trump was in a hurry tonight won his match 5-0, in just over an hours playing time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently Stephen Lee is coaching in China now:

http://www.wba147.com/en/article_list_123.html
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sneaky attempt to hide under a false name doesn't wash with me.
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what happens with the Welsh Open tomorrow? Is it going to be on the BBC website for everyone to watch?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Sneaky attempt to hide under a false name doesn't wash with me.

I'd like to see Joe Johnson work his way around 史蒂芬·李
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    deivu74 wrote: »
    So what happens with the Welsh Open tomorrow? Is it going to be on the BBC website for everyone to watch?

Not sure about the BBC website but Eurosport seem to be having extensive live coverage beginning at 10.30am through to 5pm and again 7pm to 10pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about the BBC website but Eurosport seem to be having extensive live coverage beginning at 10.30am through to 5pm and again 7pm to 10pm.

Its on the red button from 1pm
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member

Cheers Darren. :)
  • Kay_ElKay_El Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Glad I read this, I forgot the Welsh Open was on. It's not what it used to be, bit PTC-ish now, but still entertaining nonetheless.

Peter Ebdon v Tony Drago. Classic!
  • ATNottsATNotts Posts: 1,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also on BBC2 Wales (Sky, Channel 971) from 13:00 for the afternoon session and for an hour at 19:00 each evening. Same coverage as the RB I'm sure, but perhaps without the studio analysis / comment.

Personally, I'll stick with Eurosport who cover it properly, from 10:30 this morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The red button will probably be the BBC2 Wales feed. There is no separate online coverage with two tables as at the other BBC events.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ATNotts wrote: »
    Also on BBC2 Wales (Sky, Channel 971) from 13:00 for the afternoon session and for an hour at 19:00 each evening. Same coverage as the RB I'm sure, but perhaps without the studio analysis / comment.

Personally, I'll stick with Eurosport who cover it properly, from 10:30 this morning.

Yeah I was answering the question "other than BBC Wales."

I think the afternoon Red Button stuff may have the analysis as its the same time as BBC Wales. However in an evening I am guessing its just table coverage.

I am guessing Willie Thorne, Darren Morgan and Dominic Dale in the box for BBC Wales
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Red Button Coverage - Please note nothing on Weds eve, Thurs or Fri early eve due to the Cycling World Championships

Monday 16 February

Welsh Open, 13:00-16:45 & 19:00-20:00, BBC Red Button

Tuesday 17 February

Welsh Open, 13:00-16:45 & 19:00-20:00, BBC Red Button

Wednesday 18 February

Welsh Open, 13:00-16:45, BBC Red Button

Friday 20 February

Welsh Open, 13:00-16:45 & 21:30-22:30, BBC Red Button

Sunday 22 February

Welsh Open, 13:00-16:30 & 19:00-22:00, BBC Red Button
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why I get so irked about the mispronunciation of these Chinese players' names. But it drives me potty whoever is saying "Howshan" on Eurosport now.

And Ding Jun-wee, I need to strangle someone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love watching Mark Williams play. He's so laid back and has a real "couldn't give a monkeys" attitude. He is funny. Played wrll enough too. Through 4-0. Easy win for Mark Selby too

Ronnie v Vinnie this afternoon
This discussion has been closed.