Options

Inside No. 9 - BBC 2

Comments

• Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a huge fan of these guys normally (I find them okay), but that was a great half hour movie.

Personally I think a few spoilers need to be covered up with regards to others posts...
    Since it's already aired, talking about the ending can hardly be considered a "spoiler"...
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must have missed the loads of other times this plot device has been used on tv as I didn't see it coming. I doubt very little is actually original. How it's dressed up and presented can be though and I thought this was excellent, just as virtually all their stuff is.

What I couldn't believe was the obvious continuity error. When Sheridan was in the bedroom and the first egg hit the wall it went all over the place leaving a huge mess on the wall. Next second she's seen turning round to face the door and the wall behind her is totally clean. No egg anywhere. It always baffles me how professional tv companies can miss things like that.
    I noticed that too but you could probably put it down to her memories being all jumbled up do things might not necessarily male sense.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Is it repeated?

I don't think so but it will be on Iplayer.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the excellent way the denouement pulled all the threads together. Up until then I thought it was just another cautionary tale about how life doesn't turn out the way you hoped it would :o
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I noticed that too but you could probably put it down to her memories being all jumbled up do things might not necessarily male sense.
    I think you're being kind! :)
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're being kind! :)

And I think your original comment was pretty daft, considering the plot and everything being in her mind.
  • Options
    mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    at around 3 minute mark when her mother is showing him the photos, you can hear sirens. coincedence? I doubt it

also, the sound between cuts is the sound that a car makes when a door is left open ( I don't drive so I don't know the exact sound its used for )
  • Options
    KittenPartyKittenParty Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Absolutely fantastic televison. And Smith was her usual class act. Also had a little cry at the end.
  • Options
    JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An outstanding episode, really good writing by the guys. Can't wait for next week.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the best piece of drama I've seen this year. I sat totally dumbstruck for about five minutes after the credits rolled.
    I'm not usually a fan of Sheridan Smith - I think she's a bit overrated - but she was outstanding in this.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was an outstanding episode, very cleverly done. I'm a massive fan of Steve and Reece and have been since the League of Gentlemen days, but this stands way above other thins they've done IMO.

It's been bugging me though, what the dad has been in before? I can picture him in a role but can't for the life of me remember what it was!
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely fantastic televison. And Smith was her usual class act. Also had a little cry at the end.

I watched it twice and cried at the end both times :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maisymoo82 wrote: »
    This was an outstanding episode, very cleverly done. I'm a massive fan of Steve and Reece and have been since the League of Gentlemen days, but this stands way above other thins they've done IMO.

It's been bugging me though, what the dad has been in before? I can picture him in a role but can't for the life of me remember what it was!

He's been in loads of things.

But most recently ( I think ) he was in Last Tango to Halifax as Alan's friend ( whose name escapes me atm, was it Harry? )
  • Options
    Lady_MidnightLady_Midnight Posts: 33
    Forum Member

That's the wonderful Paul Copley- a fabulous actor who's been in practically everything in his very long career!
    Even when you don't see him, his lovely voice can be heard in lots of voiceovers and adverts too.
    ( I'm rather a fan.. as you may have guessed)
    What a fantastic episode on No.9- one of the best pieces of TV in years.
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's episode was the best half hour of TV I've seen in a long time. These guys really deserve every award going. Completely pulls you in half way through and doesn't let go until the end credits roll.

Absolutely amazing television.

Couldn't agree more. Powerful stuff....and very emotive towards the end. Knowing nothing about this episode we roped in another family member for half and hour of warped humour and found ourselves captivated by a 'flashback' style serious drama, waiting for the humour to kick in. Saw it coming towards the end though I was trying to convince myself I was wrong.

Deserves an award.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's been in loads of things.

But most recently ( I think ) he was in Last Tango to Halifax as Alan's friend ( whose name escapes me atm, was it Harry? )
    That's the wonderful Paul Copley- a fabulous actor who's been in practically everything in his very long career!
    Even when you don't see him, his lovely voice can be heard in lots of voiceovers and adverts too.
    ( I'm rather a fan.. as you may have guessed)
    What a fantastic episode on No.9- one of the best pieces of TV in years.

Thanks, I haven't seen Last Tango in Halifax but I googled his name and realised I knew him as Mr Mason in Downton Abbey!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I haven't seen Last Tango in Halifax but I googled his name and realised I knew him as Mr Mason in Downton Abbey!

Yes of course - I had forgotten about that :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought she may have been in a coma or similar, so a car crash wasn't far off.
    Or alzheimer's as her dad had it in her memories so could have projected it from herself onto him.

Anyone want to discuss the timeline?

So she was about 33
    Her dad did die around 2 years back.
    Just after she split with her hubby but had recently got back together? (or was that just wishful thinking on her part).
    Her son was around 6 or 7.

Well acted and well written and I did like the transitions.
  • Options
    ukcarterukcarter Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Anyone want to discuss the timeline?

I think the flashback are supposed to be 13 months apart so does this look right:

Jan Arriving at flat after New Year's Eve party
    Feb Valentine's Day
    Mar Mothering Sunday
    April Moving in together - eggs
    May Bank holiday - Assemble cot
    June voice on baby alarm
    July 30th birthday
    August Father has died just before holiday
    September Son's first day at school (aged 4y4m?). They have split.
    October Halloween
    November Bonfire night "I love you" phone call
    December Christmas dinner. They have been together for just over a year.
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    Well that was incredible.

We watched episode one the other night and expected more of the same, but this was on another level, we were transfixed.

It's the sort of thing Hollywood would turn into a 2 hour movie.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that was incredible.

We watched episode one the other night and expected more of the same, but this was on another level, we were transfixed.

It's the sort of thing Hollywood would turn into a 2 hour movie.

They already have.
  • Options
    meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ukcarter wrote: »
    I think the flashback are supposed to be 13 months apart so does this look right:

Jan Arriving at flat after New Year's Eve party
    Feb Valentine's Day
    Mar Mothering Sunday
    April Moving in together - eggs
    May Bank holiday - Assemble cot
    June voice on baby alarm
    July 30th birthday
    August Father has died just before holiday
    September Son's first day at school (aged 4y4m?). They have split.
    October Halloween
    November Bonfire night "I love you" phone call
    December Christmas dinner. They have been together for just over a year.

In the scene when she got the valentines card, Fung said her and Adam had been together 13 months.

Then they had the Mother's Day scene when the mum said they had been together for over two Years.
    Then the moving in stuff. I think the flash backs covered 6 years minimum.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only just got round to watching the recording. If I'm honest, about 20 minutes in I didn't think I was enjoying it that much, but the ending took me by surprise and made me reappraise ... this was quite simply excellent TV.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    meechyemoo wrote: »
    In the scene when she got the valentines card, Fung said her and Adam had been together 13 months.

Then they had the Mother's Day scene when the mum said they had been together for over two Years.
    Then the moving in stuff. I think the flash backs covered 6 years minimum.
    Not sure if it was as long as 13 years but I was thinking around 9. The son was 6 or 7. They'd been together around 3 or 4 years before having the baby.

It could be that with other gaps not shown they could have been together 12 years though and that would be one flashback for each which fits nicely.
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    I (eventually) thought this was a brilliant piece of work last night. I was expecting the usual dark humour and a twist at the end but I wasn't really expecting that. I realised early on that she was dying and her life was flashing before her eyes. I didn't get the eggs being thrown until I saw the smashed eggs in the car. The whole thing made me cry at the end.