Official Snooker Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    ....and a pretty good one! :D:D:D

Aye it was - doh!

Still be good to know which former champions are going to enter though. They would have to win 3 best of 19 frame matches to qualify so it's not going to be a case of them fluking 3 results on the bounce.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do they do the draw for numbers 17 to 144 ( assuming 128 in it ) ? Is it open or is it done on rankings ?

EDIT - I have an answer to my own question courtesy of fellow Hull snooker fan, Matt at Pro Snooker Blog

The top 64 are seeded/placed and the others drawn, randomly, against them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kurt Maflin beating Shaun Murphy 5-4 was a bit of a surprise, but he's now in the semi finals where he will face..

.. Mark Selby, who overcame Robert Milkins 5-4. It was alternate frame wins till the final, and I suspect Milkins will have nightmares about a blue and a red that he missed in the eighth frame with the table really well laid out for him to make a match winning clearance. Selby's win guarantees him the world number 1 spot on money (he'd have been seeded 1 for the Crucible anyway, but nice to be number 1 by right too)

So Stephen Maguire can breathe easier - he's now guaranteed a Crucible spot, as for Milkins, it's three qualifers to face at Ponds Forge.

Looking at the projected seedings (cheers clarky323) if Ding beats John Higgins later, he'll climb from 4 to 3. If Higgins wins he still has the potential to go to at least to 12th seed and overtake Mark Allen, and potentially if he wins it to 10th.
  • BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes didnt expect Maflin to beat Murphy, did expect a Selby win though. Looking forward to Ding v John now
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selby stays number one by making the semis too, would have been ROS had Milkins won the decider.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that decider had a bit of everything - an in-off, a 'how did it not drop' jawed red, a critical fluked red from the acutest of angles, and ultimately a jawed green from Higgins allowing Ding to clear to pink to reach his first ranking SF since Shanghai last autumn
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was a great decider wasn't it! He'll play Gary Wilson in the semi finals!

Goes to show there is a lot of capable players out there, possibly the strongest the snooker tour has ever been in terms of strength in depth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarky323 wrote: »
    Was a great decider wasn't it! He'll play Gary Wilson in the semi finals!

Goes to show there is a lot of capable players out there, possibly the strongest the snooker tour has ever been in terms of strength in depth.

Going to make the World qualifiers a real test that is for sure.

With that win Ding also climbs up to 3 in the world rankings as well. It also does mean that if the first round of the Worlds went with the seeds, Ding would play Higgins in the second round..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was a bit of an epic last frame between Higgins and DIng, Ding will be pleased to have won in the end. Now plays Wilson who beat Hawkins 5-3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selby v Maguire
    Perry v Murphy
    Hawkins v Allen
    Carter v Robertson

Ding v Higgins
    Fu v Trump
    Walden v Bingham
    Williams v O'Sullivan

Is how the worlds last 16 would look if all the seeds progress.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selby v Maguire
    Perry v Murphy
    Hawkins v Allen
    Carter v Robertson

Ding v Higgins
    Fu v Trump
    Walden v Bingham
    Williams v O'Sullivan

Is how the worlds last 16 would look if all the seeds progress.

thanks for that most interesting, highly unlikely they'll all march through the first round of course but you never know!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for that most interesting, highly unlikely they'll all march through the first round of course but you never know!

Heh no it'll never happen. Quarter 2 looks particularly non-bulletproof in my opinion.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    High quality semi final with Kurt Maflin getting 2 tons to level at 3-3 against Selby who also has a ton
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a veritable breakfast breakfest!
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a veritable breakfast breakfest!

:)

soon as I say high quality they both start missing......:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massive frame for Mark Selby to nick on the final black in the context of the match.

Got to say though if Kurt Maflin keeps playing like this he's going to be dangerous in the World qualifiers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selby wins 6-3, great effort by Maflin though and closer than the scoreline suggests.

Hope it hasn't taken too much out of him with the world qualifiers starting imminently. Recall last year Mike Dunn made the semis in China and had nothing left in the tank upon his return to Ponds Forge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many 100's were in that match !?! lol 4 i think i counted ! Mark warming up nicely for the defence of the Worlds.
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many 100's were in that match !?! lol 4 i think i counted ! Mark warming up nicely for the defence of the Worlds.

Yep 4, Kurt Maflin got 6 in the China Open...the same as his total for the entire season before this event!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was looking good for Ding - 3-1 up at the break, but since then its been all Gary, gonna be 3 in a row !
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Sorry ignore that. Didn't realise it's a decider now. OOPS.

5-5
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerveless 72 by Wilson from Ding's break off looks like being decisive....
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    One thing I will say. Ding has played some brilliant snookers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free ball! Could be a game changer....
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a climax
This discussion has been closed.