Options

The Pro Cycling Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,751
    Forum Member
    typical Eurosport had this on record and they showed it in two parts. When they came back they had missed the Canc crash.

Good win for Boonen who must be fav for Paris Roubaix now
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    sherer wrote: »
    typical Eurosport had this on record and they showed it in two parts. When they came back they had missed the Canc crash.

Good win for Boonen who must be fav for Paris Roubaix now

There's a danger that Boonen will know next Sunday how Cancellara felt last year, with every single rider in the bunch watching him like a hawk and marking his every move.

Enjoyed the race today - good to see Ballan and Pozzato back in the mix - but missed the Muur.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really wanted Sagan to win this, if he had gone with the Boonen group straight away, rather than trying to get to them on his own he would have won.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    borodave wrote: »
    Really wanted Sagan to win this, if he had gone with the Boonen group straight away, rather than trying to get to them on his own he would have won.

that's the beauty of the sport though......in a race that goes goes on for 6 hours a 5 second decision as to wether to go or stay can determine your chance............the ones who make the right decisions win !
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody talking about the world track champs? Superb start for GB with a gold and world record in the team pursuit, plus another gold medal for Ben Swift in the non-Olympic scratch race. Some disappointment in the team sprints though - ladies were only 4th and the blokes were DQFed by what looked like very pedantic judging.

More over the next 4 days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody talking about the world track champs? Superb start for GB with a gold and world record in the team pursuit, plus another gold medal for Ben Swift in the non-Olympic scratch race. Some disappointment in the team sprints though - ladies were only 4th and the blokes were DQFed by what looked like very pedantic judging.

More over the next 4 days.

I'm watching the cricket in the morning.......it's a hard life !

I did watch the 4.00 pm highlights and I was a bit disappointed..........the pursuit was great, I didn't know about Ben Swift but all the other events were a bit of a let down when nowadays you expect us to get to finals and win gold medals
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had forgotten about the worlds till I saw it on the BBC website earlier (highlights on the red button after 7 every night btw). The two GB wins were awesome, thought Swifty had lost it when he did that big look round on the last bend. The pursuit will likely be the Olympic final too, with the Aussies out for revenge for today I bet.

Cancellara out till at least mid May courtesy of that water bottle

Boonen is silly short odds for the P-R now, got a feeling an each way gamble on Peter Sagan might be better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fluffed wrote: »
    Had forgotten about the worlds till I saw it on the BBC website earlier (highlights on the red button after 7 every night btw). The two GB wins were awesome, thought Swifty had lost it when he did that big look round on the last bend. The pursuit will likely be the Olympic final too, with the Aussies out for revenge for today I bet.

Boonen is silly short odds for the P-R now, got a feeling an each way gamble on Peter Sagan might be better.

Has it been confirmed that is what caused the crash ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about confirmed but Chavanel was next to him and he reckons it was.
    http://road.cc/content/news/56160-fabian-cancellara-has-successful-surgery-quadruple-collarbone-fracture-says
    It happened off camera but the video does show the water bottles flying all over the place.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR0kYuf4OW0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont think Sagan is riding P-R.

Im gonna go for each way on Lars Boom and Haussler
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought Sagan was at good odds, know I know why! (hes listed as a sub at the mo, so yea wont be riding).

Might go team Sky with Boasson Hagen and Flecha, both been looking in reasonable form without looking devastating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The GB women's team pursuit squad emulated the men - set two world records, took the gold, whupped the Aussies like dusty carpets.
  • Options
    dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sergio Henao & Lars-Petter Nordhaug both in the top 10 in the overall standings after stage 4 of Vuelta Al Pais Vasco . Been enjoying the race and stage 4 was tough with Henao getting a great 3rd .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sergio Henao & Lars-Petter Nordhaug both in the top 10 in the overall standings after stage 4 of Vuelta Al Pais Vasco . Been enjoying the race and stage 4 was tough with Henao getting a great 3rd .

is this being shown live or highlights anywhere ? Keep missing this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the track, another drama and another spanking for the Aussies: Vicky Pendleton beats fave Anna Meares in a controversial semi-final and takes yet another gold in the final. This is her last year, so she has quite an impressive record at the World Champs - 6 times sprint champion. She'll have another medal chance in the Keirin as well. Chris Hoy and Jason Kenney both through to the men's sprint semis - they are both after one Olympic place.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Henao confirming the sterotype today about Colombians and time trials. Had a bit of a stinker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boonen smashes everyone..............now has 4 Paris-Roubaix's to his name and time in his career to win it again for the all time record

Boonen used to be pretty much an out and out sprinter when he was younger, say 7/8 years ago..........I wonder if we'll see Cav going for Paris-Roubaix when he loses his speed.......:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Boonen smashes everyone..............now has 4 Paris-Roubaix's to his name and time in his career to win it again for the all time record

Boonen used to be pretty much an out and out sprinter when he was younger, say 7/8 years ago..........I wonder if we'll see Cav going for Paris-Roubaix when he loses his speed.......:)

Boonen was much faster in his earlier career, but it's not as if his pavé prowess developed as he got older... he was 3rd in Roubaix at his first attempt when he was 21 :eek:

He's Belgian after all. If you don't focus on the classics above the sprinting, they run you out of the country and don't let you back in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what a win for Boonen, he did something I didn't think he would be capable of and despite the might of Sky they never were able to get back any time on him at all. Shame Eurosport on;y covered it from after the Arenberg trench
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome destruction of the field by Boonen in the PR, team sky chasing lost ground then blew up!

Amstel Gold this weekend, Boonen isn't racing, so will Chavanel be worth a punt?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Awesome destruction of the field by Boonen in the PR, team sky chasing lost ground then blew up!

Amstel Gold this weekend, Boonen isn't racing, so will Chavanel be worth a punt?

Hard to tell... this time last year is when Gilbert started his amazing run of form, and he was looking a bit better in Brabantse Pijl today (12th). My money would be on Samuel Sanchez.
  • Options
    dean michaeldean michael Posts: 29,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any reason why Team sky are not doing Giro del Trentino ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the reminder.........I was going to watch it this afternoon and just checked the RT for timing.........and it's on NOW ! Looks like a big climbing stage today

Don't now happened yesterday - I missed the live show and the scheduled highlights didn't appear to ever materialise. It was only a team time trial so no big deal...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any reason why Team sky are not doing Giro del Trentino ?

He just said there are only 5 world tour teams taking part........so most of the top teams are not there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody see the final climb in todays race? Completely brutal.
This discussion has been closed.