Athletics 2013

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    How did Greg Rutherford do - heard he was up against some strong competition includng 2 former Olympic champions.

Didn't really get going, he was 3rd, 8.08. Winner was Jinzhe Li of China, an impressive 8.41.

Next up is the New York Diamond League, next Saturday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two events coming up on Saturday.

The Manchester City Games at 13:00 on BBC 1

New York Diamond League - 18:00 BBC Red button
    Preview here.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that Shelley Ann Fraser has pulled out of the Manchester Street Games with an injury.

New York meeting looks quite good - shall miss this one again as with Shanghai as the BBC don't put Red Button stuff on i-player. :(

Nice to see Idowu back competing in New York - hope he has a good season this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under way in New York. It's cold and wet. Seems Idowu was a DNS in the triple jump.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 54,008
    Forum Member
    Under way in New York. It's cold and wet. Seems Idowu was a DNS in the triple jump.

Missed it - what happened?

Any performances of note..
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Missed it - what happened?

Any performances of note..

Andrew Osagie summary of diamon league here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22667311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump for the Eugene Diamond League event on Saturday night, BBC Red Button. There are various conflicting times being given, but on this page it says 2015 - 2300. Presumably it is longer than usual because it is held over two nights. Lots of big names in action, but Mo Farah will not be going up against Bekele in the 10,000 on Friday - he is doing the 5000 on Saturday instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22717504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Report & results from the events held last night.

http://www.iaaf.org/news/report/menkov-jumps-839m-in-eugene-best-in-the-world

With the Men's 10K being won by the elder Bekele in outside 27 minutes, I wonder if Mo may regret a little moving to the 5K here.

Greg Rutherford was 3rd in the Long Jump with 8.222. From Twitter he seems a little disappointed he didn't jump further but that's a new seasons best so he's going in the right direction - better to save the big jumps for Moscow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »

With the Men's 10K being won by the elder Bekele in outside 27 minutes, I wonder if Mo may regret a little moving to the 5K here.

It struck me as a bit strange that Mo was planning to do a 10k in Oregon on the Friday after doing a 10k on the road in London last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It struck me as a bit strange that Mo was planning to do a 10k in Oregon on the Friday after doing a 10k on the road in London last week.

Although he's done that 10K in London for the last few years & then run in Eugene, so it seems part of his routine. And the London 10K he didn't have to stretch himself very much by the looks of things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And we're off in Eugene on the Red Button. Good news is that it is the commentary A team, Hutchings and Cram
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh, blimey, Sanya Richards dead last in the women's 400m
    Forum Member
    Oooh, blimey, Sanya Richards dead last in the women's 400m

Was a shocker - her first race though.

Good work out for Mo and I think the lad from Qatar might threaten the high jump world record at some point?

One of those records that have been around for decades it seems...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was a great meeting overall, with lots of great races & performances across the board. Having missed the last 2 from Shanghai & New York it was good to be able to watch everything. Barshim was the highlight for me as well. He's still young (21/22 I think) so he could well attack the World record in due course & he's a 'proper' Qatari (?) to boot unlike all the bought in talent from Kenya et al.

Feels like the season is really getting going now - the Diamond League moves to Europe next with the Rome meeting live on BBC3 on Thursday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's still young (21/22 I think) so he could well attack the World record in due course & he's a 'proper' Qatari (?) to boot unlike all the bought in talent from Kenya et al.

Well, his forefathers were bought, put it that way. It's strange that so many of the other jumpers that were at his level last year have faded away this year, while he has surged ahead. I've mentioned it before, but when you go into the Olympic Museum at Lausanne there is a high jump bar set at 2.45 and you truly cannot believe just how massive it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, his forefathers were bought, put it that way. It's strange that so many of the other jumpers that were at his level last year have faded away this year, while he has surged ahead. I've mentioned it before, but when you go into the Olympic Museum at Lausanne there is a high jump bar set at 2.45 and you truly cannot believe just how massive it is.

Ukhov & Grabarz have been very average so far this year.

Going to the Olympic Museum in Lausanne is definitely on my bucket list - very jealous.
    Forum Member
    Ukhov & Grabarz have been very average so far this year.

I wonder how many Olympic champions will have a season where they don't do so well probably because motivation might be lacking and they've had their glory?

Of course you will get ones like Bolt keen to clean up everything once more.

He returns in Rome this Thursday - its on 5live too I believe if your one of those who likes to watch with the sound down.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasnt to keen on Kemboi deciding to just change the lane and run ahead of Kipruto so he suddenly had nowhere to run except for inner court (or whatever its called).

Then Kemboi looking very upset, obviuously wanted to DQ him. Very poor sportmanship. Maybe bad relationship there...
    Not too often you see things like this from Kenyans...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preview for Rome on Thursday, which is being staged as a memorial to Pietro Mennea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22768581
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC have a new intro for their Athletics coverage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/22780464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off we go in Rome, fans of Johnathon and Colin will be well catered for, athletics fans not so much. Men's 400H off first and....won by the splendidly named Johnny Dutch. Dai Greene in 4th or 5th, so not too bad for a first outing.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    rip to that italian 200m sprinter, he seemed to hold that record for ages. and he's white :eek: ;)
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That pacemaker in the women's 1500 was a bit useless, went off miles too fast. Is there any punishment for that, or is it just that she won't get asked to do it again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnathon just announced, after the BB3 transmission ends, there is more non-Diamond League action on Red Button and web.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Allyson Felix is a babe :cool: