Options

Aww, what a poor young man on Eastenders is Dean (spoilers)

KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,278
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Preview pics suggest he is struggling behind bars. Aww, poor soul, how could the vicious Carters, one of whom was raped, one of whom was taken hostage, and all of whom and Walford in general, were almost set on fire by, get this poor young man sent into jail ;'( There's no proof he ever did anything wrong, and he is struggling, can't ya see that Mickie, my boy is struggling in there.

Comments

• Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    I have to say that despite his horrible crime, I find it difficult to dislike Dean over the Carter's. They truly are a dislikable bunch.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wotnot wrote: »
    I have to say that despite his horrible crime, I find it difficult to dislike Dean over the Carter's. They truly are a dislikable bunch.

Annoying people >>>> rapists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not quite what I said, lol
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing Dean stuggle behind bars would be interesting and look into his past stint. He deserves something but also his health needs to be looked at. Mick especially is annoying me. He has treated everyone disgustingly since the reveal when it wasn't their fault.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing Dean stuggle behind bars would be interesting and look into his past stint. He deserves something but also his health needs to be looked at. Mick especially is annoying me. He has treated everyone disgustingly since the reveal when it wasn't their fault.

Well said Joe.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree tbh. Matts brilliant acting also allows me to still enjoy his character as he is so complex. He could become a love to hate character like phil and Janine. Linda and mick are disgusting two faced people and I can't stand either. Kellies acting is great but her character is so horrible and looks down on people that I can't warm to her. How mick has treated Nancy, Shirley, Tina, buster and stan is disgusting. He also appears to bmhave brainwashed everyone else to believe linda or else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree tbh. Matts brilliant acting also allows me to still enjoy his character as he is so complex. He could become a love to hate character like phil and Janine. Linda and mick are disgusting two faced people and I can't stand either. Kellies acting is great but her character is so horrible and looks down on people that I can't warm to her. How mick has treated Nancy, Shirley, Tina, buster and stan is disgusting. He also appears to bmhave brainwashed everyone else to believe linda or else.

You both make some good points.

I must admit that Mick, Linda, Nancy and Lee are all boring me now. I'm glad Buster is back though.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Completely agree.

I have known women like Linda, centre of the family where even her kids have to take a back seat to her and she is completely selfish when it comes even to her own children and yet everyone tells her what a great mum she is, makes me quite cross as a mother.

It could possibly be that I missed the rape episode that I have less sympathy for her but since only she, Dean and the viewing public witnessed it I have found her behaviour has been more like a guilty adulterer than a victim, which is clearly the fault of the writers but explains a lot as to why I find it so difficult to hate Dean.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure Shirley will stage a prison break using Phil's help as he goes all commando to take out the guards. It'll be like watching the A-Team bullets flying everywhere but none missing the target. Shirley will then wrap Dean up in cotton wool and take his place alongside his mom on her throne.

If only this was Game of Thrones. I'd even prefer Joffrey on the throne...
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You couldn't make some of this stuff up.

Guilty adulterer.

Boring.

Selfish.

Disgusting.

Two-faced.

Brainwashing.

Not the rapist or the apologists ofc, the victim.

Oh well...going to look on it as performance art looking for a reaction and not genuine beliefs because if that's how people act in the real world, this storyline has been depressingly good at highlighting why so many rapists walk free.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I'm sure Shirley will stage a prison break using Phil's help as he goes all commando to take out the guards. It'll be like watching the A-Team bullets flying everywhere but none missing the target. Shirley will then wrap Dean up in cotton wool and take his place alongside his mom on her throne.

If only this was Game of Thrones. I'd even prefer Joffrey on the throne...

Ha ha ha. I wonder if DTC is lining this up

Personally I think he should be raped in the showers by bubba and pals
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you dislike Linda for being snobby, but Dean the rapist is ok :confused:

If Phil raped Sharon in tonight's episode, people would not "love to hate" him. They would be disgusted by him. Except for the ones who fancy him. People will excuse all sorts if they fancy someone.

Mick has not brainwashed anyone. You don't know what brainwashing is. His "either stop calling my wife a liar or get out of our home" rule makes complete sense. Why should Linda have to live with people who think Dean has done nothing wrong? Mick's attitude towards Stan has been pretty damn calm considering. He's nasty and he shouldn't get away with being vile to Linda in her own home because he's about to die.
    Completely agree.

I have known women like Linda, centre of the family where even her kids have to take a back seat to her and she is completely selfish when it comes even to her own children and yet everyone tells her what a great mum she is, makes me quite cross as a mother.

It could possibly be that I missed the rape episode that I have less sympathy for her but since only she, Dean and the viewing public witnessed it I have found her behaviour has been more like a guilty adulterer than a victim, which is clearly the fault of the writers but explains a lot as to why I find it so difficult to hate Dean.

Jfc...

Her actions are nothing like that of a guilty adulterer. Nothing at all. That's not down to the writers. It's probably down to you not liking Linda.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Guilty adulterer.

Boring.

Selfish.

Disgusting.

Two-faced.

Brainwashing.

Oh well...going to look on it as performance art looking for a reaction and not genuine beliefs because if that's how people act in the real world, this storyline has been depressingly good at highlighting why so many rapists walk free.

BIB: Ain't that the truth. Jesus wept. Never mind that Dean raped Linda, it's apparently still easier to like him because he isn't "snobby" or "annoying". :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    BIB: Ain't that the truth. Jesus wept. Never mind that Dean raped Linda, it's apparently still easier to like him because he isn't "snobby" or "annoying". :confused:

She just wasn't the right sort of rape victim - just wants to ruin Dean/Shirley's life. Brought it on herself and probably secretly wanted it anyway. I bet she *loves* being the centre of attention with her family now - she's so selfish she probably revels in it.

I expect to see that sort of stuff any day now from a select group on here. It's really upsetting to read, that's why I have to believe they're on the wind-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »

The reactions I've seen actually scare me. That's not a joke. Like most women, the fear of rape has always been with me, but now I'm more scared of the reaction afterwards. I honestly think that I couldn't face it if it ever happened to me :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Guilty adulterer.

Boring.

Selfish.

Disgusting.

Two-faced.

Brainwashing.

Rapists walk free due to lack of evidence and rape being hard to prove as it's one person's word against another's - while Linda's actions in showering/covering up what happened for months was understandable, unfortunately it destroyed the evidence and perhaps had she preserved all evidence and contacted the police sooner there would have been a better chance of convicting Dean.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She just wasn't the right sort of rape victim - just wants to ruin Dean/Shirley's life. Brought it on herself and probably secretly wanted it anyway. I bet she *loves* being the centre of attention with her family now - she's so selfish she probably revels in it.

I expect to see that sort of stuff any day now from a select group on here. It's really upsetting to read, that's why I have to believe they're on the wind-up.

I think, unfortunately, you've hit the nail on the head about Linda not being the right type of victim, just as Dean apparently isn't the right type of rapist. Linda can be abrasive, petty and judgmental on occasion; in other words, a realistic depiction of a woman who has grown up in a certain way, with certain beliefs. She's also capable of great warmth and affection, but that's ignored by the rape apologists on here because it doesn't fit with their interpretation of the scenario.

Dean is handsome, loves his granddad and pretends that he isn't aware he raped Linda, therefore he's not a "bad" rapist, he's apparently a decent person who wasn't in control of his actions on that one occasion.

It's all incredibly depressing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rapists walk free due to lack of evidence and rape being hard to prove as it's one person's word against another's - while Linda's actions in showering/covering up what happened for months was understandable, unfortunately it destroyed the evidence and perhaps had she preserved all evidence and contacted the police sooner there would have been a better chance of convicting Dean.

You're actually blaming Linda for Dean not being in prison?

If they had the clothes it would still be his word against hers - it would have just shown intercours with occurred, and he's not denying that so is it also Linda's falt that he didn't beat her up? Maybe if she hadn't frozen? Maybe if she hadn't thought repeatedly saying no was enough not to get forcibly pinned to a table in her own home. It would've been easier to get a conviction with a few bruises - what were you thinking, Linda?

Your attitude in this storyline is unbelievably upsetting to see.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Dean is a rapist.

But Mick is a self-righteous nob, Linda is his peasant, Nancy is a moaning minnie, Lee is an angry dwarf, Stan is a selfish good-for-nothing pervert, and Shirley is a complacent moron.

The entire family are nutjobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Jfc...

Her actions are nothing like that of a guilty adulterer. Nothing at all. That's not down to the writers. It's probably down to you not liking Linda.

So you are suggesting that because I dislike someone I would condone their rape?

That is either an incredibly nasty or a silly thing to say. I have given my reasons for my view of this STORYLINE and how it has been PLAYED OUT by the CHARACTERS and that is what my views are based on.

A grown, confident woman (as Linda is portrayed) would have taken action. She wouldn't have behaved as though nothing had happened and even been friendly to her rapist on occasion. I feel that these actions would have realistically given the impression of her having something to hide rather than being a victim in the eyes of other people in her community.
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can not believe people on this thread are basically saying Linda deserved to be raped and Dean is innocent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What I find really sad is that anyone here would accuse someone of being a rapist apologist. Dear oh dear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're actually blaming Linda for Dean not being in prison?

If they had the clothes it would still be his word against hers - it would have just shown intercours with occurred, and he's not denying that so is it also Linda's falt that he didn't beat her up? Maybe if she hadn't frozen? Maybe if she hadn't thought repeatedly saying no was enough not to get forcibly pinned to a table in her own home. It would've been easier to get a conviction with a few bruises - what were you thinking, Linda?

Your attitude in this storyline is unbelievably upsetting to see.

I haven't blamed Linda but the poster suggested that people's attitudes towards rape was the reason that rapists are not convicted when in reality it comes down to lack of evidence. Unless a criminal admits his/her crime the law can do nothing without evidence.

The sad reality is that without evidence or confession there cannot be a conviction. It's true that if the man/woman came forward earlier there may be more evidence but even then like you said it's difficult with this kind of crime to secure a conviction.

That certainly does not mean that it was Linda's fault that Dean raped her because it wasn't.

As for whether Matt is acting well or not or Dean is a complex, fascinating character to watch or not - that is down to personal opinion and has nothing to do with the crime Dean committed.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Linda and Mick and don't bother to watch the programme when they are centre stage (nearly always). I hope that the next announcement is that they are to leave the show. I can't understand how people don't think that Dean deserves a place in the show but murderers, arsonists, baby snatchers etc are entitled to stay on. I don't mind Dean staying as I can see that he is an actor playing a character, he doesn't have to be a saint, just because people like to watch him doesn't mean that they sympathise with real life rapists. There are unpunished, undesirable people walking free everywhere, if he is to get his comeuppance then so should everybody else on the show who has done wrong. Otherwise we can continue to enjoy the show or switch off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. It reminds me of the reaction on the Big Brother board when a male contestant pulled open a female contestant's robe. Here are some of the things I saw people post:

- she seems the type who would enjoy it (I wonder what "type" that is :confused:)

- she is a slapper and not the "girl next door type", so it rings hollow when she's built her career around using her sexuality (it doesn't matter when a glamour model is disrobed against her will apparently)

- she takes her clothes off for a living, so what's the big deal? (consent is a fuzzy issue for some)

- the slapper milked it (she was obviously crying just for attention)

- she shouldn't have been naked under her robe (because getting changed for bed is wrong)

- she was in the bathroom alone with a man, so what did she expect? (because all women expect to be lunged at by a vomiting drunk man, right?)

- she was leaning over him and he could see her breasts (which obviously meant she was up for grabs)

I feel extremely sorry for the wrong type of victim :(