British Gas next to increase prices (Merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
Forum Member
The increase, which will affect nearly eight million people in the UK, includes an 8.4% rise in gas prices and a 10.4% increase in electricity prices.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24562930

All very predictable as soon as one increases the other follow along.
Price fixing i think.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Visible?
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already lining up another supplier. 10% on what I'm currently paying is absolutely atrocious.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Already lining up another supplier. 10% on what I'm currently paying is absolutely atrocious.

Ive yet to be convinced that changing supplier makes much difference when they all follow each other.
  • Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it when these stories use quotes from a spokesperson who says "We appreciate this is bad news for the customer" and then sit and try and justify it.

Instead of ripping people off and forcing some people to either eat or stay warm, then why not freeze your prices. Especially after they make ludicrous profits.
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad::rolleyes: What gets me though, is many are struggling, be that with a pay freeze, pay cut, redundancy etc and the cost of living just continues to go up and up. Can't exactly magic money from thin air, so what can people do?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    british gas up prices 10%
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    All of them are bunch of thieving b'stards. The Gas and Electric services should be re-nationalised to stop these A8's raking it in hand over fist. All they are interested in is their bottom line profit. They have absolutely no regard for their customers as sadly, there is no choice but to pay. And i agree with the other poster about shopping around - this doesn't make one iota of difference - one way or another, you're gonna get screwed. :cool:
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only one real supplier. All the billing agencies put up their prices.

This is "competition" Thatcher style.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My heating will be staying off as long as possible this winter. Robbing gits.
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Instead of ripping people off and forcing some people to either eat or stay warm, then why not freeze your prices. Especially after they make ludicrous profits.

...a lot of which goes back into maintaining infrastructure costs

However a possible remedy which in the US made natural gas prices fall off a cliff is that old chestnut ----fracking . One suspects it's just a matter of time .
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Have a look at the 'Big Six' profits...... since 2010........ nothing short of scandalous. How many poor old folk are going to perish this winter when they have to choose between eating or keeping themselves warm.

It really is about time something was done about this. :cool:
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Ah! The Cartel is working like errrrrr ummmm.... a Cartel!

So competition forces down prices and therefore privatisation is a wonderful thing is it Mrs Thatcher? :mad:

And all the current Prime Minister seems to say is "Let them eat cake.".
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are public services, none of them should be allowed increases of more than 1% above inflation at the very most...
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »

Same here. I'll be wondering around the house with my duvet wrapped around me this winter :p
    Forum Member
    Lots of people are turning the 'heated throws' (Aldi, Argos, Amazon, etc) as they are cheap to run and stop you freezing to death.

Example:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Relaxwell-Dreamland-16082-Intelliheat-Chocolate/dp/B00DS5AWMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382012558&sr=8-1&keywords=heated+throw+blanket

Other online shops have them. Shop around for best prices.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »

We don't put our heating on at all these days, haven't for years. Can't afford it. Hot water bottles keep us warm! (and we're not pensioners!)

Customers with British Gas ... nearly 20% increase on their dual bills - bloody hell.

I wonder, does anyone ever switch TO British Gas?

As to the excuses - as everyone says the same they should just make a tape of the usual excuses and play it on behalf of all the companies whenever they hike their prices.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Lots of people are turning the 'heated throws' (Aldi, Argos, Amazon, etc) as they are cheap to run and stop you freezing to death.

Example:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Relaxwell-Dreamland-16082-Intelliheat-Chocolate/dp/B00DS5AWMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382012558&sr=8-1&keywords=heated+throw+blanket

Other online shops have them. Shop around for best prices.

That's the modern version of an electric blanket, is it?
    Forum Member
    Same here. I'll be wondering around the house with my duvet wrapped around me this winter :p

Not the first time I've done that one! Especially in our old house that didn't have central heating just a gas fire that I would sit in front of. The rest of the house wasn't heated at all!

The new house is a luxury compared to what we had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh i just dont know where the money is supposed to come from, its not like i can cut down electric use any more than i am doing-I have an electric cooker and have the oven on as little as possible as it is. Heating will stay off more than last year as little one now at nursery in the mornings so i can leave it off till afternoons.

Already having to dry washing in the kitchen-I just cannot afford the cost of having tumble dryer on.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to get solar panels.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    These are public services, none of them should be allowed increases of more than 1% above inflation at the very most...
    They probably are no more than 1% above the real rate of inflation.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at the 'Big Six' profits...... since 2010........ nothing short of scandalous. How many poor old folk are going to perish this winter when they have to choose between eating or keeping themselves warm.

It really is about time something was done about this. :cool:

Instead of expressing your disgust at what - I'll happlly admit - looks like a huge amount of money, have you thought about taking that number and dividing it by the number of customers? If that's the total figure for all of them we must be talking about 25 million households and a few million businesses on top of that.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LInk,

Siource,

Any sort of commentary. Are you new to DS?
    Forum Member
    Olls~ wrote: »
    :mad::rolleyes: What gets me though, is many are struggling, be that with a pay freeze, pay cut, redundancy etc and the cost of living just continues to go up and up. Can't exactly magic money from thin air, so what can people do?

And dare I mention people on benefits: The real ones without loads of kids and just getting the standard amount.

Their money has not gone up in anything like the same amount as all these things that have increased. And also this year, they had to start paying some of their council tax and the money for that hasn't gone up either.

So more and more outlay and yet their benefits go up by a tiny fraction of what they need.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Seriously you think prices are not that bad but there are people out there who are struggling to make ends meet to choose between feeding themselves or keeping warm, this should be the final nail in the coffin for these energy companies, I'm on a low income and I'm wondering where my next meal is coming from :(

We don't have a problem paying but I still totally agree with you...

I think it's absolutely criminal that they keep allowing these companies to get away with this.

The government claim to make inflation a top priority and yet they allow fuel and energy costs that push up the price of everything we buy to spiral totally out of control. :mad: