I'm Officially An Old Fart

2»

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I was singing along to I Love to Love by Tina Charles .

........but my baby just loves to dance !

that's a good one !...........:p
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I was never interested in popular music, so I don't know who Chris Rea is either and I am also nearly 41.

And I'm sure there are plenty of young people who do. I know the name but can't think of any of his songs or how they go without going to Google. However, I do know quite a lot of other 80s music for somebody my age. People tend to assume that if you're below a certain age you are in to the latest popular music and you are completely unaware of anything before a certain time. But this is really lazy stereotyping. I couldn't name one song in the top 40 but I could tell you who Duran Duran or the Human League were.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I'm sure there are plenty of young people who do. I know the name but can't think of any of his songs or how they go without going to Google. However, I do know quite a lot of other 80s music for somebody my age. People tend to assume that if you're below a certain age you are in to the latest popular music and you are completely unaware of anything before a certain time. But this is really lazy stereotyping. I couldn't name one song in the top 40 but I could tell you who Duran Duran or the Human League were.
    Most kids do know him, after all the radio stations drag Driving Home for Christmas out every year without fail :D

Aaah The Human League, love them .. took me over* 20 years from first hearing them to finally seeing them, was worth it in the end :D
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    los.kav wrote: »
    Ah here, that's just willful ignorance, considering the amount of times those shows are repeated practically every day!

If you rarely watch broadcast TV (apart from a couple of reality shows), and now use catch-up services and torrents, then you aren't going to see a lot of older shows.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    We were talking about Carry On films at work the the other say. A girl we work with said, "what are they?". When we were all surprised her reply was, "well I'm not old...why should I know?" She may as well have stamped on our moral then and there! I'm sure I was never that rude or insensitive!
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old fart here to then (42). :p
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    We were talking about Carry On films at work the the other say. A girl we work with said, "what are they?". When we were all surprised her reply was, "well I'm not old...why should I know?" She may as well have stamped on our moral then and there! I'm sure I was never that rude or insensitive!

She stamped on your morale maybe?

Anyway, all you can do is console yourself with the fact that one day the same or something very similar WILL happen to her.

It will also happen eventually to all the babies born today too.
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    I was 16 when Chris Rea had his first hit in 1978 and it very quickly became apparent to me that he was an old fart.
    I was three when he was born, so I guess I qualify for the title. :)
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I used to work with someone who was about 15 years younger than the rest of us. We used to spend all our time explaining who somebody was etc. She kind of got off on the fact that there was a 15 yr gap but her ignorance seemed put on when she said she had not heard of The Beatles! Behind her back we used to say, Jesus, never heard of him. It was before I was born!
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Dylan is 73 to-day :o

What do you mean, Bob who?
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    If you rarely watch broadcast TV (apart from a couple of reality shows), and now use catch-up services and torrents, then you aren't going to see a lot of older shows.

I don't know anyone who does only that with their TV. I don't know anyone who's mother doesn't watch GOLD.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    We all know.