Options

Dandruff ridden supermarket staff

CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
Forum Member
Just got back from Tesco where I was served at the checkout by a man ridden with dandruff. Not only was it visible in his greasy hair but it was covered all over the front of his shirt - not just a few specks but a dusting of it. I know it shouldn't matter but what made it worse was that he was obese so it just made it more grotesque and made me feel sick. I dread to think if he has responsibility for shelving up the fruit and veg.

I did wonder if I should make a complaint but felt bad at the prospect of him potentially losing his job because of it. However on the flip side surely with any job not taking care of your personal appearance or hygiene is an issue that needs immediate action especially one where you are dealing face to face with customers in a food environment! I know it would cause issues for the company but surely sending him home to clean up (as an initial warning) should be the step taken here as opposed to apparently allowing him onto the shop floor?

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they sent him home it wouldn't solve your too issues would it he cannot slim down overnight and it would take a few days for his hair to become dandruff free,

Unfortunately people need a job, you could complain then the manager would obviously have to act on any complaints but he would likely either sort it out or he would quit his job and hide away in embarrassment on benefits.

Surely his colleagues would be aware if it was a problem and the manager must be able to notice but since when has been overweight been an issue to working in a shop.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you completely sure it was just dandruff?

I have psoriasis, and I have it on my scalp which during flare ups gets me covered in flakes. I have people looking at me like I'm contagious and have even had remarks, which is very upsetting.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Poor man, the last thing he needs is for a complaint to be made about his personal hygiene. He may have a skin condition causing the dandruff. His weight is irrelevant.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't understand relevance that he's obese. They can't send him home for that! And everyone needs a job. Would you prefer he was rotting away claiming benefits so you didn't have to face him?
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least he was working the checkout and not handing out free samples ........ now that would have caused a furore for our own rufusarian :o
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Poor man, the last thing he needs is for a complaint to be made about his personal hygiene. He may have a skin condition causing the dandruff. His weight is irrelevant.

Not sure about that, especially when working around food, from my experience staff are expected to have high personal hygiene standards. I can only assume it's a condition or I can't believe his supervisor wouldn't have had a word with him about it.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from aesthetics, the state of his hair isn't relevant to a checkout job. Any unpackaged food you're buying will come into contact with far more dirt and bacteria in transit, from being handled by other customers and for sitting on the checkout conveyor belt than from the checkout operator's dandruff.

I was served by two shop floor assistants in John Lewis with terrible BO. It was a bit offputting but nothing to complain about.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading your OP the first thing I thought was psoriasis. Then I read your "obese" comments and I thought that was mean; judging a person based on their size.

I have some sympathy with your concerns, but not in the way you're addressing them. If it bothered you so much then you should have had the guts to go raise the issue with a supervisor, not hide behind a keyboard or a complaint letter.

Go back to the store and explain to the supervisor. There might be extenuating circumstances why this person was in front line duties at the time, but that's a management issue. Whoever is running the store that day needs to balance the business requirements with the public image of the company. If there are hygiene issues then, as difficult as it may be, they have to be addressed. However, if the cause is medical then the situation needs dealing with in a different way that respects the individual.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of it was Tesco was there more than one checkout or was it an express?

If it was a normal Tesco then why not use another till or the self serve?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    CloneClown wrote: »
    Just got back from Tesco where I was served at the checkout by a man ridden with dandruff. Not only was it visible in his greasy hair but it was covered all over the front of his shirt - not just a few specks but a dusting of it. I know it shouldn't matter but what made it worse was that he was obese so it just made it more grotesque and made me feel sick. I dread to think if he has responsibility for shelving up the fruit and veg.

I did wonder if I should make a complaint but felt bad at the prospect of him potentially losing his job because of it. However on the flip side surely with any job not taking care of your personal appearance or hygiene is an issue that needs immediate action especially one where you are dealing face to face with customers in a food environment! I know it would cause issues for the company but surely sending him home to clean up (as an initial warning) should be the step taken here as opposed to apparently allowing him onto the shop floor?

LOL. They wouldn't send him home. That cost money out of their pocket because they are down one staff member and may have to get a replacement. Simply put, they don't care.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't point it out. :o:o
    Next thing you know Morrisons will ensure all their staff have scabies. while Asda will announce that from Monday all staff will contract leprosy (and something which will cause everyone to pat their bottoms to alleviate the itching).

Aldi and Lidl will find obscure European diseases which involves much falling off of limbs and give their staff two diseases for one.

Waitrose staff will of course continue to cough gently into blood-specked handkerchiefs and explain quietly that 'no Madam, nothing so common as Ebola, WE maintain the great tradition of TB'.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    As someone previously said, what if the man had some condition other than dandruff? Some people have dandruff, some sweat excessively and maybe have sweat stains under armpit or even smell unpleasantly because of it, even if they shower regularly and apply deodorant. The point is that you can't complain if some people have a condition that you find repulsive maybe. It's beyond their control, and I'm sure they would also want to do something about it if they could. Maybe you should be more tolerant next time you go shopping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    CloneClown wrote: »

..wonder why the dandruff was especially prevalent on the front of his shirt ?..a dusting sounds serious,and the poor love being a porker on top of that can't be nice...perhaps they could have him out the back doing something menial away from food to save upsetting the customers...
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    IF he was in such a state then common sense suggests that he wouldn't be put on check-outs, warehouse work more like.

Gross exaggeration is at work here..
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Maybe he needs some coal tar shampoo?
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about customers?

Yesterday I had the dubious pleasure of standing next to a woman who thought it was just fine to sneeze extravagantly, not once but twice, over the entire display making no effort whatsoever to use a tissue, hankerchief or anything else :o:o:o

I moved swiftly away just before the second sneeze and did not touch any of the items of the display in question but other people coming later would have had no idea.

I wondered about telling a member of staff but really couldn't believe that they would clear the entire shelf so did nothing :blush:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CABINET wrote: »
    What about customers?

Yesterday I had the dubious pleasure of standing next to a woman who thought it was just fine to sneeze extravagantly, not once but twice, over the entire display making no effort whatsoever to use a tissue, hankerchief or anything else :o:o:o

I moved swiftly away just before the second sneeze and did not touch any of the items of the display in question but other people coming later would have had no idea.

I wondered about telling a member of staff but really couldn't believe that they would clear the entire shelf so did nothing :blush:.

...the same could be said for apples and the like...you don't know who's been fondling them or what they've been up to pre fondle...sort of like the crisps/peanuts on the bar thingy...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..wonder why the dandruff was especially prevalent on the front of his shirt ?..a dusting sounds serious,and the poor love being a porker on top of that can't be nice...perhaps they could have him out the back doing something menial away from food to save upsetting the customers...

Why menial? If this chap does have psoriasis does that also mean he's thick?

I wonder how many graduates are reduced to working in supermarkets or fast food restaurants or warehouse jobs and the likes? If they have bad skin or are fat should they do "menial" work too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why menial? If this chap does have psoriasis does that also mean he's thick?

I wonder how many graduates are reduced to working in supermarkets or fast food restaurants or warehouse jobs and the likes? If they have bad skin or are fat should they do "menial" work too?

....if they show an inability to control their chronic skin condition,then,yes they should...someone blighted by red skin and itching is not a sight you want presenting to your customers when they're purchasing foodstuffs,however liberal your intentions...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....if they show an inability to control their chronic skin condition,then,yes they should...
    [be given menial work]

Others may correct me here, but my understanding is that the condition has flare-ups. Some triggers are external; beyond the sufferers direct control. But that wouldn't count as far as you're concerned. Nice attitude. I'm glad I didn't have someone like you managing my staff.
    .someone blighted by red skin and itching is not a sight you want presenting to your customers when they're purchasing foodstuffs,however liberal your intentions...

I don't think it's liberal to show a little human compassion.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [be given menial work]

Others may correct me here, but my understanding is that the condition has flare-ups. Some triggers are external; beyond the sufferers direct control. But that wouldn't count as far as you're concerned. Nice attitude. I'm glad I didn't have someone like you managing my staff.

Yes we get flare ups, and it's a condition that we put a lot of time, effort, and money into trying to keep under control.

For scalp treatment alone I'd have two creams, the coal tar one for night, a steroid based one for the day, and a special shampoo, because we can't use any proper soap products. In fairness if I listed all the things that go into maintaining my skin as best I can, people would probably realise how badly this condition affects people, especially when others then call them not fit to be seen in public.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have scalp psoriasis. I never realised I should make my career choices based on what people think of that. I should really give up my job and go and live in a cave somewhere, shouldn't I?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [be given menial work]

I don't think it's liberal to show a little human compassion.

...compassion doesn't pay the bills unfortunately...if only that were so..retail is a business like any other,and whether you like it or not,some people,not all,will shop elsewhere if they're served by someone red and itching scaly skin all over their groceries...and,more than likely,won't return...
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should shower every day if you are working with the public.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should shower every day if you are working with the public.
    and not otherwise :p