Simon Cowell: Human Teflon.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,450
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So Simon supposedly bangs his friends wife behind his back, gets her pregnant, and the does the press rip him to shreds as they would anyone else?

No. Instead we get tedious stories about what kind of gifts he gives his golddigging wen- I mean love his his life. :p

Minions come out of the woodwork to say "Simon will be a GREAT DAD!!" Even Andrew Silverman is said to have "cleared the air" with Simon in a meeting. Because Simon is just that charming. No doubt Andrew said "Well, Simon I can't blame her. You are so awesome I would have F****d you myself."

Instead of talking about how trashy it is for the the Slimeb- er wonderful Father of the year, and his Sl- I mean Blessed Mother of his child, to be flaunting their tawdry- oops I mean wonderful beatiful love.... we get stories about how they are "Finally able to be together". Yeah. Because Andrew and that awful seven year old brat kept them apart.

Instead of trashing Lauren, for grinning in every freaking picture(like the cat that got the cream), and for leaving her other child behind as she flits to Simon's yacht. We have talk of her "glowing".

My lord. It's just really mind blowing.

Comments

• lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, the power of the Cowell eh?

When you think of the sh!t that Kristen Stewart had thrown at her for something similar and the kid gloves treatment Cowell is getting it makes me sick (and I don't even like her!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet ITV pays them not to ruin him to shreds.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press have always been very soft on Simon. He's a bit like David Beckham in that respect, he gets away with murder. I personally find it very odd how he only dates women who are exact clones of each other, and then when he gets bored of them he buys them off with a big house somewhere nice, but he'll still take them all on holiday with him, like a harem. But I've never read a single story in the papers questioning this and pointing out how strange it is. I can't imagine any other celebrity being able to do that and get away with it in the papers.

I'd love to know why the media protect some celebs, but not others?
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think if he was a women he would be treated differently? Double standards for men and all that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press have always been very soft on Simon. He's a bit like David Beckham in that respect, he gets away with murder. I personally find it very odd how he only dates women who are exact clones of each other, and then when he gets bored of them he buys them off with a big house somewhere nice, but he'll still take them all on holiday with him, like a harem. But I've never read a single story in the papers questioning this and pointing out how strange it is. I can't imagine any other celebrity being able to do that and get away with it in the papers.

I'd love to know why the media protect some celebs, but not others?

The media knows that without certain celebrities, they cannot run properly due to the powerfulness of the celebrities. Simon is linked with FOX, ITV and numerous television companies that know that if they lost him, it could affect their company. More ITV than FOX. Simon also has Syco with some of the biggest names in music. You have to be extremely well known to be protected by the media.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The papers are massively indebted to Simon Cowell. Do u ever wonder why the X-factor & BGT always get more coverage in the papers than their rivals,even in a lacklustre year??
    There's some murky dealings going on im sure of it. Like other less salubrious celebs we won't find out about it whilst he's alive.
    Basically the British press is Simon's bitch & I doubt this has been done randomly by them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Do you think if he was a women he would be treated differently? Double standards for men and all that?

Personally, I would think a woman would get it worse. Like Kirsten Stewart got ripped to pieces over her affair. The press still probably think that men are more dominant than women and would get away with more stuff. To be honest, there are more powerful male celebrities than women.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media knows that without certain celebrities, they cannot run properly due to the powerfulness of the celebrities. Simon is linked with FOX, ITV and numerous television companies that know that if they lost him, it could affect their company. More ITV than FOX. Simon also has Syco with some of the biggest names in music. You have to be extremely well known to be protected by the media.

I don't think anyone should be above being given a hard time by the media though. They will happily tear some celebrities to shreads, but others get away with all sorts. Look at Jimmy Savile, please don't tell me that the press were unaware of the rumours about him, because I've been aware of them for years and I have no connection with entertainment industry!

For some reason the press opted to protect Savile. Now I'm not saying that Simon like that, but I do have to question the protection that some celebrities receive. Beckham is another one. I've heard all kind of rumours about him, none of it gets in the papers though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone should be above being given a hard time by the media though. They will happily tear some celebrities to shreads, but others get away with all sorts.

No of course not, we're human at the end of the day but like a PP said, Simon's shows X Factor and BGT get more coverage in the press because of his control and contracts and this probably applies with other celebs too.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I personally find it very odd how he only dates women who are exact clones of each other, and then when he gets bored of them he buys them off with a big house somewhere nice, but he'll still take them all on holiday with him, like a harem. But I've never read a single story in the papers questioning this and pointing out how strange it is.

Oh, the Daily Mail have definitely questioned this in a couple of articles and we question it on here but the vast majority of the public just aren't media savvy enough to understand how the game works. Same ones who believe all the guff on The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent every year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone should be above being given a hard time by the media though. They will happily tear some celebrities to shreads, but others get away with all sorts. Look at Jimmy Savile, please don't tell me that the press were unaware of the rumours about him, because I've been aware of them for years and I have no connection with entertainment industry!

For some reason the press opted to protect Savile. Now I'm not saying that Simon like that, but I do have to question the protection that some celebrities receive. Beckham is another one. I've heard all kind of rumours about him, none of it gets in the papers though.

You're forgetting that Saville was associated with the BBC and they are quite powerful and would hunt down the press if news got around about something controversial. Each celebrity is linked to something but some are linked to big television companies and magazines etc who know that without them, their companies wouldn't run as well. I don't agree with Jimmy being protected, he should have been punished.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're forgetting that Saville was associated with the BBC and they are quite powerful and would hunt down the press if news got around about something controversial. Each celebrity is linked to something but some are linked to big television companies and magazines etc who know that without them, their companies wouldn't run as well. I don't agree with Jimmy being protected, he should have been punished.

Really? Certain sections of the media (namely The Mail and The Sun) despise the BBC and will stop at nothing to discredit it. The DM especially never wastes an opportunity to bash the Beeb. So I don't buy that at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, the Daily Mail have definitely questioned this in a couple of articles and we question it on here but the vast majority of the public just aren't media savvy enough to understand how the game works. Same ones who believe all the guff on The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent every year.

I think Simon is an interesting character. He's quite narcissistic, and narcissists are know for being superficially very charming. Most people liked Simon and were taken in by him to begin with, I know I was. It's only over the last few years or so that I've really wised up to him. Those shows are not about finding talent, they are about feeding his ego.
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, being part of the Max Clifford stable, I suspect that deals are done whereby other celebs are thrown under the bus in return for keeping Simon's activities out of the news. If the papers had a Simon story, they'd go to Clifford with it first, and he'd offer them 3 juicy kiss & tells on lesser value zelebs in return for burying the one about Simon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Simon is an interesting character. He's quite narcissistic, and narcissists are know for being superficially very charming. Most people liked Simon and were taken in by him to begin with, I know I was. It's only over the last few years or so that I've really wised up to him. Those shows are not about finding talent, they are about feeding his ego.

You seem to be really defensive when others comment something and really argumentative. The press isn't just newspapers, it's magazines, television companies and websites.
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatsia wrote: »
    Also, being part of the Max Clifford stable, I suspect that deals are done whereby other celebs are thrown under the bus in return for keeping Simon's activities out of the news. If the papers had a Simon story, they'd go to Clifford with it first, and he'd offer them 3 juicy kiss & tells on lesser value zelebs in return for burying the one about Simon.

Indeed, did Max Clifford not actually admit to this in the Louis Theroux ( sorry can't spell it :p ) documetary ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to be really defensive when others comment something and really argumentative. The press isn't just newspapers, it's magazines, television companies and websites.

In what way am I being argumentative?:confused:
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,751
    Forum Member
    Back in 2006 Carole Cadwalladr dished the dirt about a close friend of Simon who also got involved with a married woman...

Here's how the Daily Mail reported the affair in Oct 2005...
    I can reveal that, two-and-a-half years after the death from lung cancer of his beloved wife Liz, Clifford has found love with his personal assistant, attractive brunette Jo Westwood.

There is one snag, however: Jo is still married - to an IT consultant whom she left last year.

Until recently, I am told, the pair had maintained a strictly professional relationship.

Here's Carole's version....
    Oh dear, yes, Jo is a thorny subject. Because, as well as being Max's PA, she's also his live-in lover. ..... she's married - just not to Max. What's more, when I met her last year (2005) ... I didn't realise any of this at first. But then, I discovered, neither did her husband.

I would have remained in the dark, had Max not sidled up to me and said: 'By the way, Carole, for the purposes of this article, Jo is my PA.' And then the girls from his office got drunk and told me what every tabloid diary writer and showbiz reporter in the country apparently knew.

And, for an ugly lesson in how the media works, here it is: none of them wrote about it because none of them could afford to offend one of the prime sources of quality scandal.
    ....and it wasn't until the Daily Mail carried a tame little diary item last autumn saying Max had a 'close companion' that he was semi-outed - although even then, it transpires, it was only because he granted his permission.

'I was down in the south of France at a launch, and the journalist, who I've known a very long time, said, can't we write it, Max? It's been such a long time, and we've been very good, can't we write such and such? I said, just leave it for a little while, and I'll let you know when we can do something. As long as it isn't too... you know.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Fatsia wrote: »
    Also, being part of the Max Clifford stable, I suspect that deals are done whereby other celebs are thrown under the bus in return for keeping Simon's activities out of the news

Including maybe Max himself :eek:

I lost all respect for him the way he treated Will Young during Pop Idol. Totally unprofessional and utterly despicable.

I wish he didn't have the power that he does.

And anyone who employs Max Clifford the minute they appear on TV has a LOT to hide in my opinion :cool:
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People have very funny ideas about what the press "should" have done about Savile. There were rumours about him for year but, as far as I could see, nothing substantive. Regardless of what the newspapers had heard about, they couldn't print anything without proof, as alleging those kind of offences without concrete proof is straight libel.

While it's clear there were people who protected Savile/turned a blind eye to what he did, the entirety of the media can't be tarred with same brush and they could never have done anything while he was alive if they did not have any evidence.

The only reason that ITV Horizon programme was broadcast was because Savile was dead. You can't libel a dead person.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    People have very funny ideas about what the press "should" have done about Savile. There were rumours about him for year but, as far as I could see, nothing substantive. Regardless of what the newspapers had heard about, they couldn't print anything without proof, as alleging those kind of offences without concrete proof is straight libel.

While it's clear there were people who protected Savile/turned a blind eye to what he did, the entirety of the media can't be tarred with same brush and they could never have done anything while he was alive if they did not have any evidence.

The only reason that ITV Horizon programme was broadcast was because Savile was dead. You can't libel a dead person.

Had Saville not got a lifelong injunction out :confused:
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jujubee wrote: »
    So Simon supposedly bangs his friends wife behind his back, gets her pregnant, and the does the press rip him to shreds as they would anyone else?

My gut feeling is this wasn't a normal behind everyones back affair like they normally are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I lost all respect for him the way he treated Will Young during Pop Idol. Totally unprofessional and utterly despicable.

I wish he didn't have the power that he does.

And anyone who employs Max Clifford the minute they appear on TV has a LOT to hide in my opinion :cool:

Yes, and that's why he's created the X Factor. He was never truly in control of the Idol format and always had a hard time accepting that the public wanted Wll and not Gareth to win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gut feeling is this wasn't a normal behind everyones back affair like they normally are.

yes there is a picture doing the rounds of Ms Silverman draped all over Simon in her husbands presence. The guys not stupid so either he knew something was going on or he knew he had nothing to worry about, if you know what i mean ;)
  • davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with this and Savile and other scandals is the lack of INVESTIGATIVE journalism. It's all very well saying the press didn't have proof of Savile - but given how prolific an offender he was and how obvious he apparently was about it I am quite sure even a little gentle probing would have perhaps uncovered enough to discredit his charitable image and thus prevent him having access to further victims.

Indeed has it not been said that the press often did have proof but he'd phone and say if tehy ran certain stories about him then charities would lose out?