Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    His aim was not wild, but precise. If there is any video of him firing a gun at a shooting range, it might demonstrate that he is a good shot. He had some imposed discipline in the manner with which he discharged the shots, due to gun training, even if this was automatic and subconscious.

Shooting 4 bullets in a controlled fashion might indicate intent to seriously injure, immobilise or kill whoever was behind the toilet door, supposed to be an intruder. Is that sufficient for intent to kill ?

If that is sufficient, is intent to kill a supposed intruder in effect intent to kill Reeva because she was the person actually in the toilet cubicle, even if in his mind OP had no intent to kill his girlfriend, assuming her to be in bed ?

If he does get off with culpable homicide and a suspended sentence, I would hope he is ordered to pay reparations of about £15m Rand (over £1m) to Reeva's parents for the loss of her future earning potential as a model, and later, a lawyer.

Oscar Pistorius, on his Twitter account, boasted of his shooting prowess in November 2011, writing that he had spent the afternoon at the shooting range. “96% headshot over 300m from 50 shots! Bam!” Pistorius tweeted.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    5990lmd wrote: »
    Oscar Pistorius, on his Twitter account, boasted of his shooting prowess in November 2011, writing that he had spent the afternoon at the shooting range. “96% headshot over 300m from 50 shots! Bam!” Pistorius tweeted.

He sounds very immature.
  • chuckleberrychuckleberry Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    We are all well aware of how dangerous South Africa is (thanks to this case and the pre-WC coverage) but isn't that why the very wealthy protect themselves in secure 'compounds' with armed guards etc.?
    It would be interesting to see how many of the white people murdered actually lived on a gated compound. I'd guess very few or even none.

Just off the top of my head Marike de Klerk, the ex wife of the last white President of South Africa was murdered in a secure complex.

And a middle-aged Chinese national was murdered outside his Dainfern home recently after being held up by a group of men dressed in police-like uniforms.

The Dainfern Gated Golfing Estate outside Johannesburg is very expensive and known for its tight security.

I know there have been several other incidents on secure gated estates. I’ll quiz my son. His memory is better than mine.

Most private houses are mini fortresses but a small hole was broken through our wall, under the electric fencing and the intruders got in that way.
  • josjos Posts: 9,992
    Forum Member
    Formal charges to be put to him in court today.

Trial not expected until March 2014.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jos wrote: »
    Formal charges to be put to him in court today.

Trial not expected until March 2014.

On what would have been Reeva's 30th birthday.
    Forum Member
    Crown court trial date 3 - 20 March 2014.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    We are all well aware of how dangerous South Africa is (thanks to this case and the pre-WC coverage) but isn't that why the very wealthy protect themselves in secure 'compounds' with armed guards etc.?
    It would be interesting to see how many of the white people murdered actually lived on a gated compound. I'd guess very few or even none.

You would think the residents of the estate, protected by armed guards, would feel secure. Not at all - there was a robbery in 2011 at gunpoint of the estate where Pistorius lived, involving a rogue guard.
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    On what would have been Reeva's 30th birthday.

Quite so and her friends sit respectfully quiet and composed whilst Oscar cries and prays with his family.

Yet again it is all about him and a public performance .I am appalled and disgusted.
  • LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Quite so and her friends sit respectfully quiet and composed whilst Oscar cries and prays with his family.

Yet again it is all about him and a public performance .I am appalled and disgusted.

Me too
  • DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member

I'd be more 'appalled and disgusted' if he sat there laughing
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He murdered her in cold blood. The fact he's a celeb in SA is the only reason he's not already in chokey. I'd stake my life on it.
  • yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He murdered her in cold blood. The fact he's a celeb in SA is the only reason he's not already in chokey. I'd stake my life on it.

Absolutely.

Celeb or not would he already be in jail if he had brown skin?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Correct.
  • DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    I disagree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You'd stake your life without even knowing all the evidence?
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm amazed that you seem to have access to all of the evidence yet to be produced in court in order to make such a judgment. Most judge and juries wait until all the evidence has been presented before making any judgment.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Me too

Make that 3.

Just read he was tearful in court :mad: He should be rotting in jail not walking free!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed that you seem to have access to all of the evidence yet to be produced in court in order to make such a judgment. Most judge and juries wait until all the evidence has been presented before making any judgment.

Of course I don't have access to all the evidence. We'll see if i'm right or wrong in due course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I don't have access to all the evidence. We'll see if i'm right or wrong in due course.

It might turn out that you have guessed correctly, but you cannot know without all the evidence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »

NO he would NOT be in jail if he had a brown skin.

South Africa has a black majority government and a black majority police force. Only 9% of the population of South Africa is white. Whites do NOT get preferential treatment from the police, the government or the judiciary.

There is some uncertainty over how many murders are committed daily in South Africa.

According to South African Police Services: Murders 60 per DAY.
    According to Department of Home Affairs: Murders 83 per DAY.
    According to Medical Research Council: Murders 89 per DAY
    According to Interpol claims: Murders 149 per DAY.

However it is a fact that only a very small proportion of murderers are brought to justice in SA.

If this wasn't such a high profile case it would be ignored by the police and prosecution just as they ignore the majority of murders or accidental killings in South Africa.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wheels of justice grind slowly in South Africa.

I'm still hoping there'll be some justice for Reeva.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His defence is that he thought she was an intruder. But surely if he woke up to get his gun, he would have realized she wasn't in bed with him. Wouldn't he have called her name? Poorly thought out story
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edit
    double post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    South African newspapers have reported that at least some of the forensic evidence appears to back up Oscar Pistorius's version of events
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    South African newspapers have reported that at least some of the forensic evidence appears to back up Mr Pistorius's version of events.

How???

He admits what the forensic evidence will show, but gives a bizarre explanation for it.
This discussion has been closed.