The Choir: Sing While You Work

Comments

• StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Amazed Helen got 'solo'.
    But I feel Sainsburys are still the best imo.

Bankers next week - should be fun.;)
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Amazed Helen got 'solo'.
    But I feel Sainsburys are still the best imo.

Bankers next week - should be fun.;)
    :D:D:D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    The Bankers were good...but after seeing all of them now, there isn't one clear winner - yet.

Did like the Security Woman last night...amazing voice;)...as was Alex's.

And 11 nationalities in the Choir.:o....from 42 floors.:cool:
  • sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this series so far and, like you, Stansfield, I don't think there's a clear winner yet. I can't remember if there looked like there was one at this stage in the series last year.

Still not sure about Gareth's beard though...:o
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bankers singing We Built This City lol or Money Money Money. That would have been a sight lol
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    The bankers singing We Built This City lol or Money Money Money. That would have been a sight lol

I was surprised that when Gareth asked for ideas for songs that no one suggested Money by the Beatles/Chuck Berry, Penny Lane by the Beatles or Money Money Money by Abba, or even the really old song Pennies From Heaven. The suggestions they did make didn't seem that good really.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised that when Gareth asked for ideas for songs that no one suggested Money by the Beatles/Chuck Berry, Penny Lane by the Beatles or Money Money Money by Abba, or even the really old song Pennies From Heaven. The suggestions they did make didn't seem that good really.

I was waiting for Topol's "If I were a rich man"
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    What about "Money" by Dr. Teeth and the Eelectric Mayhem :D, could be great - maybe not suitable for a choir though as it's very fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nrSfC76lLI
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the choice of song was to show the choir off to its best ability. The Jackson song was quite complex in both rhythm and melody. IMO they were the best yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the choice of song was to show the choir off to its best ability. The Jackson song was quite complex in both rhythm and melody. IMO they were the best yet.

Well, yes it is, but so far all the other choirs had something that linked into the type of organisations they were from. I agree that the Jackson song was complex and showed them off well, but I just wondered why they hadn't tried something in the money line. As someone else said, they could also have tried If I Were A Rich Man.
  • gary217gary217 Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I found the last episode difficult...we should judge on the basis of the choir's ability and bankers weren't bad, but boy would I like the fire fighters to whop their arses. In my opinion one firefighter is worth 100 of those overpaid stuck up tw*ts, but sadly the bankers were good singers so might do well.
    Also, when the fire fighters sang their emotional song (the rising) it was about real bravery, while those bankers were just feeling sorry for themselves because no one likes them (wonder why?). I know who I'll be rooting for.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gary217 wrote: »
    I found the last episode difficult...we should judge on the basis of the choir's ability and bankers weren't bad, but boy would I like the fire fighters to whop their arses. In my opinion one firefighter is worth 100 of those overpaid stuck up tw*ts, but sadly the bankers were good singers so might do well.
    Also, when the fire fighters sang their emotional song (the rising) it was about real bravery, while those bankers were just feeling sorry for themselves because no one likes them (wonder why?). I know who I'll be rooting for.

But I thought the whole point of that episode was showing that actually, the vast majority of the bank's employees aren't overpaid or stuck up or tw*ts. They're just ordinary people - cleaners, admin assistants, secretaries, HR clerks and yes, the odd highly paid trader or manager. But all of them came across to me as normal humans -nobody came across to me as stuck up. They had the usual hang ups and nerves and issues and mix of personalities that you see in any workplace. I thought Alex (was it Alex? The soloist.) was really likeable.
  • BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was glad Gareth picked Alex as soloist, rather than a certain other lady.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gary217 wrote: »

At least The Bankers had a commendable representation of race and genders in the choir that would've gladdened the hearts of Leftie BBC execs., not many Black females or Gay yanks in the firefighters choir eh ? :cool:
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    BillyBoy7 wrote: »
    Was glad Gareth picked Alex as soloist, rather than a certain other lady.

Agree completely. The security lady had a good voice but it was a bit too pop/ r 'n' b and she seemed a bit full of herself. Plus her solo audition wasnt great.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least The Bankers had a commendable representation of race and genders in the choir that would've gladdened the hearts of Leftie BBC execs., not many Black females or Gay yanks in the firefighters choir eh ? :cool:

and it seemed to me that there was less of an "us and them" attitude in the bank than there was, for example, at Sainsbury's: "I just drive their lorries"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Agree completely. The security lady had a good voice but it was a bit too pop/ r 'n' b and she seemed a bit full of herself. Plus her solo audition wasnt great.

I agree, she thought she was great. She did have a good voice, but, oh dear, she knew it and wanted everyone else to know it too.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Competition time! Is anyone watching?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chestfield wrote: »
    and it seemed to me that there was less of an "us and them" attitude in the bank than there was, for example, at Sainsbury's: "I just drive their lorries"

I think that's a really valid point. I thought it was very obvious that the bank was trying to make a big deal of supporting the choir right across the whole organisation - getting boards from the other countries, hosting a big event with the big screens, the manager sharing with the cleaner, all that sort of thing.

There is definitely a huge 'us and them' thing going on in public sector organisations, which is my background, so it's interesting to see the comparison with a corporate company.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I think that's a really valid point. I thought it was very obvious that the bank was trying to make a big deal of supporting the choir right across the whole organisation - getting boards from the other countries, hosting a big event with the big screens, the manager sharing with the cleaner, all that sort of thing.

There is definitely a huge 'us and them' thing going on in public sector organisations, which is my background, so it's interesting to see the comparison with a corporate company.
    I'm public sector too! Interesting them tackle classical music, because I grew up singing church music it's not so threatening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair the time we tried to something in russian in our choir it felt really odd/difficult so I can appreciate how they're feeling.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching and forgot the thread!

The choirs with the more well-known tunes have an advantage I think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »

I'm not sure it's much of an advantage to be honest. If you listen to that kind of music, then chances are you know all those tunes. If you don't, then chances are you know either none of them, or little more than a vague idea of the overall melody, which doesn't really help to sing one of the specific parts that make up the tune.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »

True - it's easier to pick up. I enjoyed the fire service singing the anvil chorus and whichever choir sang the Mozart Lachrymosa. Edit- P&O
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    P&O was the best imo