Options

3 store, unlimited tethering on One Plan Sim Only????

powerjugglerpowerjuggler Posts: 7
Forum Member
Okay I'm a bit confused over this issue. 3 recently announced that they were stopping unlimited tethering on their deals, changing the name from tethering to "personal hotspot" and introducing a 2gb "personal hotspot" cap.
Now I go into the 3 store yesterday and ask them are there any unlimited tethering deals available and they say that Yes there is. And its the One plan sim only deal, and If I get it now, I will be able to get unlimited tethering on my phone until I change my contract. The man said to me I can get * The One Plan 1 month SIM.* for £23 a month on a rolling basis, and even if 3 then decide to cancel unlimited tethering in the next month or so I will still be able to get unlimited tethering on this contract and that unlimited tethering will stay available to me for as many months as i want afterwards as long as I don't cancel this particular 30day contract or upgrade/downgrade to another contract. Is this guy telling me porkies??? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Sphinxy1Sphinxy1 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    No he's absolutely correct. If you keep the same contract you're not subject to any changes unless you upgrade or change your plan.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Do we have any confirmation of any changes to the sim only plans?
  • Options
    joelukenjoeluken Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Do we have any confirmation of any changes to the sim only plans?

Details of the new plans and confirmation that the "our existing sim only plans remain unchanged" on Three's blog below. Also answers to a range of common question plus answers to specific queries around the new 24 month phone plans and sim only plans with all-you-can-eat tethering.

http://blog.three.co.uk/2014/03/18/three-make-0800-numbers-free-on-new-pay-monthly-plans/
  • Options
    Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am on the 12 months contract one sim plan with £15 a month, after my 12 months, what happens?
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Jay-Cee wrote: »
    i am on the 12 months contract one sim plan with £15 a month, after my 12 months, what happens?

1. You can stay on the contract which will be one month rolling and keep your unlimited data and tethering.
    2. You can upgrade to a new Phone plan (with a 2GB tethering cap)
    3. You can cancel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    He's right. Three are going to stop the One plan as we know it. However, if you were to buy the one plan before it's stopped then lucky you. The One Plan will stay as it is for existing customers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    hairyharry wrote: »
    He's right. Three are going to stop the One plan as we know it. However, if you were to buy the one plan before it's stopped then lucky you. The One Plan will stay as it is for existing customers.

There's no actual confirmation of that though is there?

There was a thread started here by a well known anti 3 troll (who was banned, reregistered under a different name and banned again) saying that changes were coming, but he/she refused to offer up anything to support the claim.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's fair to say that the SIM only plans will be revised, and will almost certainly attract the tethering cap and allow the free access to 0800 numbers etc.

I'd certainly think that given the HUGE benefit of unlimited tethering, with 4G rolling out, anyone that has Three coverage would be mad not consider signing up - if only on the more expensive 30 day contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that the SIM only plans will be revised, and will almost certainly attract the tethering cap and allow the free access to 0800 numbers etc.

I agree.
    It makes sense for the 0800 numbers to be free across all contracts whether it be SIM only or Phone. The tethering cap would naturally move over.

So as you say, if you need unlimited tethering then sign up the SIM Only One Plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three's advertising would probably give the impression you get free 0800 calls on all tariffs available from a Three store/online. As if they've forgotten they're still selling the One Plan and others.
  • Options
    Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    1. You can stay on the contract which will be one month rolling and keep your unlimited data and tethering.
    2. You can upgrade to a new Phone plan (with a 2GB tethering cap)
    3. You can cancel.

with sane price?
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Three's advertising would probably give the impression you get free 0800 calls on all tariffs available from a Three store/online. As if they've forgotten they're still selling the One Plan and others.

When I have heard it on the radio - it always says on our new 24 month plans.
  • Options
    Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I'm confused - so that thread recently about plan changes was not true?

I thought unlimited tethering was gone since the 1st of the month? Now it is 2gb ?

Or is that not true? Is it still unlimited because I told 2 friends not to bother with three because of the changes to tethering
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Prof-x wrote: »

I thought unlimited tethering was gone since the 1st of the month? Now it is 2gb ?

Or is that not true? Is it still unlimited because I told 2 friends not to bother with three because of the changes to tethering

If you buy a phone on a contract (One Plan), then you get unlimited data on the phone, but you now get a 2GB limit on tethering.

Currently, if you take out a SIM Only deal on the One Plan, you get unlimited data on the handset and unlimited tethering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you buy a phone on a contract (One Plan), then you get unlimited data on the phone, but you now get a 2GB limit on tethering.

Currently, if you take out a SIM Only deal on the One Plan, you get unlimited data on the handset and unlimited tethering.

AFAIK you can longer a phone on a One Plan contract. The new 24 month phone with maximum data and call allowance is imaginatively called "All-you-can-eat Data, All-you-can-eat Minutes" which has a 2Gb tether cap

The One Plan is now sim only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    When I have heard it on the radio - it always says on our new 24 month plans.

Radio ads are usually very good for clarity, as everything has to be spoken instead of hidden in small text.
    Prof-x wrote: »

Many people have been making it very clear that tethering is still available on the One Plan, which so far hasn't changed at all (besides being £5 more than it was before February). Some posters, many of which are no longer on the forum, were very keen to confuse people though - and it does seem a lot of people aren't aware that, for all intents and purposes, it's business as usual on the SIM-only plans.

It's only the handset plans that have changed. Likewise, it's important to note that the free calls to 0800 numbers, and cheaper access to 084x/087x numbers, only apply to those new tariffs too. Even Three appeared a little confused about that when the new tariffs came in!

But if you want to enjoy AYCE data on your phone and tethering, sign up to the One Plan now and it's still as unlimited as it ever was. Also bear in mind that the SIM only plans will be updated in the future, so it's quite probable that the cap applying to handset contracts will be applied for those connecting from then on.

Existing One Plan subscribers will not be affected, at least not during their minimum term (and if Three did try and impose the restriction, I am certain people could then end the contract there and then).

I suppose the easiest way to think of it is that Three has multiple types of tariff:

Mobile Broadband tariffs (for dongles, MiFis, tablets)
    SIM only plans (30 day or 12 month, no handset)
    Handset plans (24 month, with handset)
    PAYG (for phones only)

They appear to revise them all at separate times, and without warning (besides leaks you might pick up on places like this).
  • Options
    Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Thank you

I was indeed confused as I saw a thread by someone stating it was definitely going

Thanks for clearing it up! I hadn't followed the discussion since
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joeluken wrote: »
    AFAIK you can longer a phone on a One Plan contract. The new 24 month phone with maximum data and call allowance is imaginatively called "All-you-can-eat Data, All-you-can-eat Minutes" which has a 2Gb tether cap

The One Plan is now sim only.

Indeed. The actual "One Plan" is no longer available with handsets and the new handset tariffs go by well... names like the above.

All mobile operators change all their plans once in a while and the One Plan SIMO won't stay in it's current form forever, but as mentioned, sign up now and you will in all likelyhood get to keep the benefits as they are now as long as you don't switch to another package or upgrade..
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I would add to this thread to save starting another one and it was ref Three and tethering.

I've seen the following deal on the S5, but cannot see any mention of even a 2gb tethering allowance (only something that says you can add a 1gb extra tethering (personal hotspot). I was going to go for the all you can eat data and 600 mins one for £38/month.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Samsung/Galaxy_S5?priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY&tab=Camera.&memory=16&colour=Electric_Blue

Do plans come with 2gb as standard?

Cheers, Mark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thought I would add to this thread to save starting another one and it was ref Three and tethering.

I've seen the following deal on the S5, but cannot see any mention of even a 2gb tethering allowance (only something that says you can add a 1gb extra tethering (personal hotspot). I was going to go for the all you can eat data and 600 mins one for £38/month.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Samsung/Galaxy_S5?priceplan=PAY_MONTHLY&tab=Camera.&memory=16&colour=Electric_Blue

Cheers, Mark.

The new 24 month phone plans with all-you-can-eat data are capped at 2Gb tethering. The other new 24 month phone plans that include different amounts of data are allowed to use all the data for tethering if required. So for example a plan with 2Gb of data will allow 2Gb tethering max but you may be able to buy an add-on that adds another 1Gb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's £5 per GB if you wish to add more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    joeluken wrote: »
    The new 24 month phone plans with all-you-can-eat data are capped at 2Gb tethering. The other new 24 month phone plans that include different amounts of data are allowed to use all the data for tethering if required. So for example a plan with 1Gb will allows 1Gb tethering max but you may be able to buy an add-on that adds another 1Gb.

Ok - cheers of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Cheers, Mark.

http://support.three.co.uk/srvs/cgi-bin/webisapi.dll?command=new,kb=mobile,ts=mobile,t=article,varset_cat=internetapps,varset_subcat=3582,case=obj(3599),varset_username=Mobile:mobileUser
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that.

I was expecting something to be written about it in the plan details.

Mark.

Me too,

but then again nothing has ever been written in plan details regarding tethering. Even for the original One Plan. Everything regarding tethering has always been on a separate page.