Options

Tom Harris resigns as Labour's New Media Adviser after Nazi video

LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this another sense of humour failure?

Labour MP, Tom Harris, has been forced to resign as the party’s new media adviser after creating a spoof video comparing Adolf Hitler's final days with Alex Salmond’s machinations over the referendum on Scottish independence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/9017295/Labour-MP-Tom-Harris-forced-to-resign-as-Twitter-tsar.html

There have been dozens of these Downfall videos produced featuring politicians of all parties and nobody really complained about them. Are we now being told that joking about Salmond and the SNP is not allowed in the New Scotland?

Comments

• Options
    makara80makara80 Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Labour MP, Tom Harris, has been forced to resign as the party’s new media adviser after creating a spoof video comparing Adolf Hitler's final days with Alex Salmond’s machinations over the referendum on Scottish independence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/9017295/Labour-MP-Tom-Harris-forced-to-resign-as-Twitter-tsar.html

There have been dozens of these Downfall videos produced featuring politicians of all parties and nobody really complained about them. Are we now being told that joking about Salmond and the SNP is not allowed in the New Scotland?

I don't really know much about Tom but forcing him to resign over this is way, way over the top. Hell, he shouldn't even need to apologise for it because as you say, there are hundreds of cheeky 'Der Untergang' videos for goodness sake!

It's no big deal, or at least it shouldn't be. Harris should still be in his post imho.

Ironically, Diane Abbott has said far worse recently and yet paradoxically she remains in her job.... I wonder why?
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that he was forced to resign over that shows how out of touch the labour party(Or just the scottish labour party?) is out of touch with the young. That video was hilarious IMO and there are millions of downfall videos on the internet.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people do seem to have had a complete sense of humour breakdown recently. I thought it was funny .
  • Options
    Scalper JackScalper Jack Posts: 4,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monitor from last November...

- Harris is a prolific user of Twitter (with over 25,000 tweets to date, more than twice as many as famed Twitophile Stephen Fry), and followers of his timeline can observe behaviour that's less in line with a prospective international statesman and more akin to that of an internet message-board troll. He's been caught peddling flat-out lies (making no apology when proven wrong), getting involved in juvenile slanging matches, implying that the SNP are racist, and advocating bizarre policy positions that would likely horrify most Labour supporters. Below we highlight just a handful of randomly-selected examples, from the last month alone.

http://wingsland.podgamer.com/?p=12184
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile the SNP MSP Joan McAlpine an advisor to Salmond has accused Labour, Lib Dem and Tory MSPs of being anti-Scottish for daring to support the view the referendum be brought forward and the union.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Some people do seem to have had a complete sense of humour breakdown recently. I thought it was funny .

There were certainly some good lines in it. I especially liked "My Biography 'Thatcher: my part in her downfall'"
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Meanwhile the SNP MSP Joan McAlpine an advisor to Salmond has accused Labour, Lib Dem and Tory MSPs of being anti-Scottish for daring to support the view the referendum be brought forward and the union.

I saw that debate - the Scottish parliament is now becoming quite vicious and partisan. The SNP and Labour crowd seem to hate each other more than ever.

I thought Westminster was bad until I saw that. Holyrood used to be so civilised and polite in the early years - the whole independence debate seems to be tearing Scottish politics apart.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More synthetic drama.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    And she has not apologised nor have the Presiding Officer (equivalent of Speaker) censured her for her remarks.

But then the Presiding Officer is an SNP MSP.
  • Options
    geordiejackiegeordiejackie Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who finds anything remotely funny about the Nazis needs a check-up with a shrink imo
    regards jack
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Tom Harris much but I think there has been a sense of humour failure here. There've been loads of Downfall parodies and I've never heard of anyone taking offence at them before.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To put it mildly. It's ridiculous that he was forced to resign. I mean, it's not even as if he's the first person to do a Downfall parody. It's pretty much an internet meme at this point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Tom Harris much but I think there has been a sense of humour failure here. There've been loads of Downfall parodies and I've never heard of anyone taking offence at them before.

As this article in the Telegraph says, there will inevitably be a video coming along soon portraying Harris' firing

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100130131/how-long-before-the-downfall-spoof-of-ed-miliband-firing-tom-harris-comes-out/
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who finds anything remotely funny about the Nazis needs a check-up with a shrink imo
    regards jack
    Mel Brooks, Jack Benny?
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As this article in the Telegraph says, there will inevitably be a video coming along soon portraying Harris' firing

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100130131/how-long-before-the-downfall-spoof-of-ed-miliband-firing-tom-harris-comes-out/

It's already up............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4AHbikkm1E&feature=youtu.be

Funniest line: "anyone who thinks that we can't win the next election, leave the room"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Mel Brooks, Jack Benny?

Exactly about as funny as a boil on the pecker yeah ok films for fun but top people in government?
    regards jack
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    regards jack

Allo Allo ?

Laughing at and using them as a joke is very different to thinking what they did was humerous.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    regards jack

Thank you, geordiejackie. Both Harris and Burley http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-16299035 fully deserved their sackings and, as adults and high profile public servants, they should really have known better.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Mel Brooks, Jack Benny?

Or the excellent film Life is Beautiful.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Or the excellent film Life is Beautiful.

What a wonderful movie that is; genuinely amazing.

Probably a better example than Allo Allo, too!
  • Options
    tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was the funniest Alex Salmond moment since he walked the streets of New York wearing tartan trews.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    regards jack

It depends how you look at it. If one looks at Hitler and the Nazis, if it was not for the fact he was a dangerous mad individual, he would have made a perfect comedy act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYJ5F8ctyus&feature=related

The above was made during the war, they had more sense of humour than we do now. if you Google you can find many more, all taking the "p".

There are very few who find what Hitler actually did was funny but look at his mannerisms together with that ridiculous Nazi goose-step march certainly were funny. It is easily possible to separate one from the other, if one has got just any sort of humour at all.

The trouble many people these days look at humour and just try to find fault with anything.

Take any subject one likes and it is highly likely it would upset someone somewhere, we are slowly getting into a nation of humourless, politically correct, namby pamby, miseries. Direct being insulting to a person is wrong, but hell, we as a nation have to just lighten up an bit and see the difference between a direct insult and humour,
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with most people, ridiculous he has had to resign.

But Labour did a lot to create this culture, the idea that it's not what you do but whether you get caught saying "incorrect" things.
    Can't say I have much sympathy with either this bloke or Abbot.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks that way. Sadly it probably won't be the last
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    It depends how you look at it. If one looks at Hitler and the Nazis, if it was not for the fact he was a dangerous mad individual, he would have made a perfect comedy act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYJ5F8ctyus&feature=related

The above was made during the war, they had more sense of humour than we do now. if you Google you can find many more, all taking the "p".

There are very few who find what Hitler actually did was funny but look at his mannerisms together with that ridiculous Nazi goose-step march certainly were funny. It is easily possible to separate one from the other, if one has got just any sort of humour at all.

The trouble many people these days look at humour and just try to find fault with anything.

Take any subject one likes and it is highly likely it would upset someone somewhere, we are slowly getting into a nation of humourless, politically correct, namby pamby, miseries. Direct being insulting to a person is wrong, but hell, we as a nation have to just lighten up an bit and see the difference between a direct insult and humour,

You make a good point caxton fair do's but i'll refrain from laughing along with the Nazis but i tell ya this gets me giggling like a demented schoolboy every time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7wTAHdFYs
    regards jack