Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    I wonder just how much the prices per night of these places actually vary according to season, availability, etc. I just checked yesterday's for an imaginary one night stay next week, (November 6/7th), only £95 inc breakfast.

http://www.expedia.co.uk/Gloucestershire-Hotels-One4BB.h5997879.Hotel-Information?&chkin=06/11/2013&chkout=07/11/2013&rm1=a1&affcid=expe.uk.001.000.2224078.17346466&eapid=4232-3&afflid=HTL.5997879.B6.Cheltenham&mctc=5&evar34=2783.0

Makes you wonder, is £125 per night the highest price he's able to charge, or the average price per night if levelled out over the course of the year, or what? How is it arrived at exactly that £125 is the going rate for that place? :confused:

The prices of all the B&B's is based on their peak rates.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The prices of all the B&B's is based on their peak rates.

Are they? Never realised that. :o Is that totally fair or representative though when for the majority of the year you could supposedly get the same thing for significantly less than what your led to believe. (Assuming peak season is generally, what, a 6 week period over the summer?).
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are they? Never realised that. :o Is that totally fair or representative though when for the majority of the year you could supposedly get the same thing for significantly less than what your led to believe. (Assuming peak season is generally, what, a 6 week period over the summer?).

Not sure how long peak season is. I think it would be more than 6 weeks though. Hotels in London and other cities peak rates are usually between May/June and September.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That certainly is surprising! Wonder if Ruth's still wearing coats all the time these days.

Ruth wears those coats because she suffers from quite severe psoriasis on her neck, hands, arms, she likes to cover up on camera....I always wondered why she was always rugged up too.

I loved the first B&B and liked the owner, loved the decor and the colour scheme - perfect in my opinion :)

Re the 'minister'...my ex-hubby got involved with one of those neighbourhood happy-clappy churches that operate out of scout halls and and the like - all I can say is they are out to brainwash and fleece people of their money...one hand round your shoulder and the other in your pocket. Absolute pests who can wreak havoc on gullible and vulnerable people :mad:.
    Then again I'm not a fan of religion in general.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,702
    Forum Member
    Ruth wears those coats because she suffers from quite severe psoriasis on her neck, hands, arms, she likes to cover up on camera....I always wondered why she was always rugged up too.

Funnily enough I saw a Hotel Inspector revisited last week and she'd lost a tremendous amount of weight and was dressed quite differently. She had a short and boxy pink jacket on.
    I can't remember the details of the programme though to check when it was filmed.

I should point out that the Crown and Castle had a total refurb at some stage - and based on the room we stayed in, it needed it really.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure what to make of Llandudno John. He did have a dry sense of humour, and his marks seemed fair, but he was a bit menacing. And the 'minister' thing was odd in an uncomfortable way. The others (well the Bolton couple anyway) seemed to take this as some kind of real role, unaware that anyone can be instantly 'ordained'. John's TA comments are outrageous, though, for someone who is meant to be encouraging business for his place - which I will be interested to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't sure what to make of Llandudno John. He did have a dry sense of humour, and his marks seemed fair, but he was a bit menacing. And the 'minister' thing was odd in an uncomfortable way. The others (well the Bolton couple anyway) seemed to take this as some kind of real role, unaware that anyone can be instantly 'ordained'. John's TA comments are outrageous, though, for someone who is meant to be encouraging business for his place - which I will be interested to see.

As a former hotelier I have been enjoying his responses on TA, particularly the response to the mega-epic review written by the Canadian lady guest who must assume all foreigners are Spanish :p. I think he defends his corner and addresses the petty critics point by point with tongue planted very firmly in cheek. I mean, complaining you could not park during a busy festival period and blaming it on the hotel owner....some people are so miserable I have often wondered why they bother to ever go on holiday - for an excuse to write on TA I guess :cool:
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    As a former hotelier I have been enjoying his responses on TA, particularly the response to the mega-epic review written by the Canadian lady guest who must assume all foreigners are Spanish :p. I think he defends his corner and addresses the petty critics point by point with tongue planted very firmly in cheek. I mean, complaining you could not park during a busy festival period and blaming it on the hotel owner....some people are so miserable I have often wondered why they bother to ever go on holiday - for an excuse to write on TA I guess :cool:

Seriously? I was gobsmacked by some of the comments he made on TA. Yeah, OK, we all know that there are a lot of petty people who just love to find fault where there isn't any on TA, but his comments were way OTT. Some reviewers who got it with both barrels had legitimate complaints, and then went on to make some pretty nice comments about other aspects of their stay (the food gets a lot of praise). Making comments about his guests' personal appearance, for example, is just plain nasty. I don't understand why such anti-social people go into the hospitality industry. Or maybe the industry makes them that way eventually. Either way, seems a pretty miserable way to live one's life.

I guess one person's 'tongue-in-cheek' is another person's 'obnoxious tw*t.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Seriously? I was gobsmacked by some of the comments he made on TA. Yeah, OK, we all know that there are a lot of petty people who just love to find fault where there isn't any on TA, but his comments were way OTT. Some reviewers who got it with both barrels had legitimate complaints, and then went on to make some pretty nice comments about other aspects of their stay (the food gets a lot of praise). Making comments about his guests' personal appearance, for example, is just plain nasty. I don't understand why such anti-social people go into the hospitality industry. Or maybe the industry makes them that way eventually. Either way, seems a pretty miserable way to live one's life.

I guess one person's 'tongue-in-cheek' is another person's 'obnoxious tw*t.

Hmm, so it is fine for the 'reviewer' to get personal about the hotel owner but the owner cannot do so? one of the T's and C's of TA is that the reviewer must not post derogatory, personal attacks about an individual...well that rule just may as well not exist because many reviews contain personal attacks about a staff member's appearance. If memory serves, the 'grinch lady' accused him of wearing greasy clothes, that is a personal criticism. I like his response - I think regarding the reviewers, if you are prepared to dish it out then be prepared to suck it up. The owners are entitled to respond and I think he does it well. I am referring to the responses I have read - I am not bored enough to go through all of them ;).
    Forum Member
    Hmm, so it is fine for the 'reviewer' to get personal about the hotel owner but the owner cannot do so? one of the T's and C's of TA is that the reviewer must not post derogatory, personal attacks about an individual...well that rule just may as well not exist because many reviews contain personal attacks about a staff member's appearance. If memory serves, the 'grinch lady' accused him of wearing greasy clothes, that is a personal criticism. I like his response - I think regarding the reviewers, if you are prepared to dish it out then be prepared to suck it up. The owners are entitled to respond and I think he does it well. I am referring to the responses I have read - I am not bored enough to go through all of them ;).

I haven't read them all either, even though I am incredibly bored today. ;)

I did see the Grinch comment, but the one that stuck in my head was when he replied to a complaint about a creaky bed with a comment about how it must have been 'overloaded'. I'm not denying that some of the reviewers made uncalled for comments also, but nothing that really deserved that level of overly defensive, patronising and sometimes downright rude response. Of course, if actually had the wit that he clearly thinks he has, it might have gone down slightly better with me.

Of course the owners are entitled to respond, and thank goodness they can, for the sake of fairness, but I strongly disagree that he is doing it well! Doing it well would be to reply in a professional manner, refuting any criticisms where appropriate, and leaving it at that. Tit-for-tat nonsense belongs in the playground.

I do understand how hard it must be to take criticism when you are running a B&B which is also your home, but at the same time, it is still a business and you are asking your customers to hand over their hard-earned money. Anyone who thinks it's OK to treat customers like that, no matter how irritating and unreasonable they have been, are in the wrong business.
  • TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Funnily enough I saw a Hotel Inspector revisited last week and she'd lost a tremendous amount of weight and was dressed quite differently. She had a short and boxy pink jacket on.
    I can't remember the details of the programme though to check when it was filmed.
    Thanks for the updates. Must admit I thought her weight dictated her style but it defeated the purpose.

Anyway, back on topic. I was hoping the Windy Bottom name was due to some ancient, local geographical feature but apparently not. Please don't let it be for Carry On B&B reasons.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't read them all either, even though I am incredibly bored today. ;)

I did see the Grinch comment, but the one that stuck in my head was when he replied to a complaint about a creaky bed with a comment about how it must have been 'overloaded'. I'm not denying that some of the reviewers made uncalled for comments also, but nothing that really deserved that level of overly defensive, patronising and sometimes downright rude response. Of course, if actually had the wit that he clearly thinks he has, it might have gone down slightly better with me.

Of course the owners are entitled to respond, and thank goodness they can, for the sake of fairness, but I strongly disagree that he is doing it well! Doing it well would be to reply in a professional manner, refuting any criticisms where appropriate, and leaving it at that. Tit-for-tat nonsense belongs in the playground.

I do understand how hard it must be to take criticism when you are running a B&B which is also your home, but at the same time, it is still a business and you are asking your customers to hand over their hard-earned money. Anyone who thinks it's OK to treat customers like that, no matter how irritating and unreasonable they have been, are in the wrong business.

I think some people are very self-defensive, thus can't handle any criticism that comes their way. By taking fair criticism on board, you could improve your business significantly.
    Forum Member
    I've read some of the responses on TA and I have to say that IMO they sound not only totally unhinged but unprofessional in the extreme and I say that regardless of the rights and wrongs of the reviews, which to me, is a separate matter.

I can't say that I'd ever book to stay at The Alexandra Hotel, but if I had been considering it, the way John expresses himself on TA would certainly rule it out. I don't think he does himself any favours at all there.
    Forum Member
    I've read some of the responses on TA and I have to say that IMO they sound not only totally unhinged but unprofessional in the extreme and I say that regardless of the rights and wrongs of the reviews, which to me, is a separate matter.

I can't say that I'd ever book to stay at The Alexandra Hotel, but if I had been considering it, the way John expresses himself on TA would certainly rule it out. I don't think he does himself any favours at all there.

I think perhaps, as Susie pointed out, he is trying to be tongue-in-cheek, but, you're right, it does come across as unhinged.
  • hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it be acceptable to say that one of the contestants looks like they have got an unhinged nose?
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes you wonder, is £125 per night the highest price he's able to charge, or the average price per night if levelled out over the course of the year, or what? How is it arrived at exactly that £125 is the going rate for that place?
    It's his normal, everyday price according to his website. It suggests he has special (ie, higher) prices for race weeks, Christmas / New Year, probably for literary festival weeks, etc. And it's on the edge of the Cotswolds so that - as well as Cheltenham being a posh spa town (with some distinctly rough edges) - would make £125 achievable.
    Seriously? I was gobsmacked by some of the comments he made on TA.
    Too right. It's the height of stupidity and unprofessionalism.

What responses like that do is confirm the validity of the bad review in the mind of the reader. Hardly what you want to achieve with any reply.

The mistake many affronted and ego-driven owners and managers make - is to write a response to the reviewer, a guest who will never visit again and you'd refuse to accommodate even if they asked.

Any response has to be written calmly and rationally with the reader - a potential new customer - in mind. The reply needs to indicate that the owner is a reasonable person who listens to problems and constructive criticism. Humour isn't out of place but the owner needs to come across as someone who, if the reader books, will do their best to listen and then to solve any (reasonable!) problems that can arise. Tongue-in-cheek humour is fine... not everyone will recognise it as such.

Rising above the attitude of the reviewer can go some way to retrieving the situation of a (largely!) unjustified bad review. Rolling around in the gutter with the reviewer rather confirms the reviewer had it right.
    Forum Member
    hoppyuppy wrote: »
    Would it be acceptable to say that one of the contestants looks like they have got an unhinged nose?

No :p

Just out of interest, is your nose hinged then? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artem isn't on 4iaB... :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No :p

Just out of interest, is your nose hinged then? :D

Do forgive, I was being childish but it does come with benefits. Every year that I refuse to grow up appears to be a year further away from getting my old age pension.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every year that I refuse to grow up appears to be a year further away from getting my old age pension.;)
    Every year under current governments appears to suggest no one will ever get an old age pension ever again... they'll never retirement age. :eek:
    Forum Member
    Do forgive, I was being childish but it does come with benefits. Every year that I refuse to grow up appears to be a year further away from getting my old age pension.;)

What's one of those? :cry:
    I'm a tad disappointed now, I thought you were sharing some unique feature with us and was going to suggest that you offered to model at One4 ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Artem isn't on 4iaB... :p

You got me, I had to google. I don't watch Strictly but the image results did look a bit beaky.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, his partner improvised enthusiastically on Saturday and slapped him in the face with an elbow, thus causing the unhinging...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Apparently, his partner improvised enthusiastically on Saturday and slapped him in the face with an elbow, thus causing the unhinging...

Would you explain to SS that it is indeed possible to have an unhinged nose and I model for ladies only?

Ta.:D
This discussion has been closed.