Options

Ageism and the Daily Mail

TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's gone too far. I've completely, totally, utterly had ENOUGH.

Every day that paper - which does have some good articles - is harping about women in the limelight and their bloody age.

Such as:

"Madonna (49) went for a dump earlier today. With her advancing years, an incontinence pad cannot be too far away."

"Kylie (40) is well past her sell by date, especially now that rheumatoid arthritis is imminent."

Needless to say, any magazine or publication that parrots out people's ages with no relevance whatsoever, I will not be buying EVER AGAIN. Which means I'll be saving an awful lot of money.

Comments

• Options
    Britney SmearsBritney Smears Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    You sound menopausal.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They actually printed that about Madonna?? :eek:;):p

Oh dear, standards have gone downhill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound menopausal.

Very good :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't the papers print everyone's age when reporting?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's common practice of all downmarket tabloids.
  • Options
    britchick_99702britchick_99702 Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    It's common practice of all downmarket tabloids.

Plus how much their house is worth even if it has nothing to do with the article itself.
  • Options
    SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not wipe my arse with the Daily Mysoginist. Why the hell do people read such rubbish?:confused:
  • Options
    LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read it to find out how I'm bringing about the fall of British society, what with me being a dirty foreigner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please read another paper. I beg you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All papers print ages or is this just another stick to beat the Daily Mail with?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Papers tend to print the ages of women even when it isn't relevant to the story. The only way they'll learn is if people stop buying those sorts of papers.
  • Options
    Ja'mie KingJa'mie King Posts: 8,445
    Forum Member
    I read the DM online. I don't go for any of the extreme views, I make my own mind up. If it's so awful, don't read it. Simple.
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    LnMidna wrote: »
    I read it to find out how I'm bringing about the fall of British society, what with me being a dirty foreigner.

My crime's almost as bad: I'm destroying the family, what with being a successful thirty something who just happens to have not [yet] got married or had children.

But it's ok because apparently in a few years I'll really regret all my selfish, man-emulating 'choices' and will be a dried up, bitter husk of a woman.
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My crime's almost as bad: I'm destroying the family, what with being a successful thirty something who just happens to have not [yet] got married or had children.

But it's ok because apparently in a few years I'll really regret all my selfish, man-emulating 'choices' and will be a dried up, bitter husk of a woman.

Guilty too. Wonder why I am so happy :D

The DM is a dreary piece of trash. It's not even going in the litter tray. Misogynistic, old school, sexist, bullying, ageist load of utter bilge. I can't even call it a paper!
  • Options
    Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    Oh boy, the DM's not very popular. I doubt they'd like me for much the same reasons as they wouldn't like Scarlett, plus my queer tendencies would really worry them!! :D I still buy it every Friday though.
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soulmate9 wrote: »
    Oh boy, the DM's not very popular. I doubt they'd like me for much the same reasons as they wouldn't like Scarlett, plus my queer tendencies would really worry them!! :D I still buy it every Friday though.

It's the gossip isn't it? :D:D
  • Options
    Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's what p*sses me off most about this rag. Sadly one of my parents buys it so when I visit I do have a quick read, and I've lost count of the number of articles that seem to make out that you're some sort of freak if you haven't married or become a parent before you hit 30 (males as well as females). As you say they're just as vicious if you dare put a career ahead of a family or (if female) go to work once you've had children.

The thing is though I get the impression that a lot of these journalists complain a wee bit too much and are actually just being defensive, they look and sound miserable most of the time. It's a shame the main paper is so sh*t as the TV guide of a Saturday is bl**dy great:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not wipe my arse with the Daily Mysoginist. Why the hell do people read such rubbish?:confused:

I concur.
  • Options
    Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    That's what p*sses me off most about this rag. Sadly one of my parents buys it so when I visit I do have a quick read, and I've lost count of the number of articles that seem to make out that you're some sort of freak if you haven't married or become a parent before you hit 30 (males as well as females). As you say they're just as vicious if you dare put a career ahead of a family or (if female) go to work once you've had children.

The thing is though that most of the women I know in the same boat as me aren't unmarried or childless because they're 'choosing' their careers. It's more a question of circumstance.

But heaven forbid the Daily Mail would celebrate us being a bit discerning in our relationships or having too much self-esteem to get hitched to the wrong guy or bring a child into an unhappy relationship. In an alternative universe the Mail has headlines screaming "Men are letting career women down!" or even "Men, a bit crap aren't they really?". :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I know this should probably go somewhere else, but I read this and nearly blew my top: http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/dailymail.html?in_article_id=566505&in_page_id=1790

:mad:

What is wrong with that bloody paper?!??!?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sofakat wrote: »
    It's the gossip isn't it? :D:D

I'm very brave to admit it on here..... or very daft!! :D

I like the Friday editions as I like the gossip Baz doo-da does about films and theatre. He's always very accurate and I like to know what's going on there.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The thing is though I get the impression that a lot of these journalists complain a wee bit too much and are actually just being defensive, they look and sound miserable most of the time. It's a shame the main paper is so sh*t as the TV guide of a Saturday is bl**dy great:D

That Saturday supplement is great. I've stopped buying it though as, counting the pennies, I've cut down on my expenditure and I just put up with the Sunday Mirror TV guide now. It's not the same, boo-hoo!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this should probably go somewhere else, but I read this and nearly blew my top: http://http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/dailymail.html?in_article_id=566505&in_page_id=1790

Now that's pretty desperate even by the DM's usual low standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Now that's pretty desperate even by the DM's usual low standards.

What is it? It came up as 'error' when I tried to look at it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soulmate9 wrote: »
    What is it? It came up as 'error' when I tried to look at it.

Try it now:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/dailymail.html?in_article_id=566505&in_page_id=1790