Abuse in care homes

SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
Forum Member
Has anybody working in a care home "blown the whistle" on any abuse they saw, whether intentional or unintentional, how did you go about it and what was the outcome?

I may be in the situation of having to do this, but I am worried about what reprisals I might encounter as a result. When I say abuse, I mean verbal abuse and a care worker treating residents roughly, to the point of reducing them to tears and causing unnecessary pain when dressing and undressing.

Comments

• moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Is there any way you could do this anonymously?

Obviously you really can't stand by and let abuse happen but you need to be sure you're talking to the right people- like the Care Quality Commission.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    You must report this immediately to your manager. If you don't you are condoning the behaviour of that carer. I suggest that you write down your concerns, with dates and times if possible. Abuse should never, ever be tolerated and as a carer you are responsible for the protection of those in your care.

You are protected by law regarding whistleblowing, and any good manager would endure you are protected from any repercussions.

Reading between the lines of your post, I think that the perpetrator is a bully and uses their position to intimidate other staff.

Please, please report this as soon as possible. You can message me if you wish to discuss this further.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the shit hits the fan and it's found that you must have known but didn't report it there will be consequences for you.

You should report this to the relevant authority without delay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Is there any way you could do this anonymously?

Obviously you really can't stand by and let abuse happen but you need to be sure you're talking to the right people- like the Care Quality Commission.

You can contact CQC but they take ages to get their arses into gear, best thing to do is to report it to a manager or a senior carer, I'd suggest writing it down on paper (signed and dated) so nothing can be changed to protect anyone including the managers/owners and of course keep a copy of this for your records.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Never mind the reprisals, report the matter immediately.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a thread discussing the current case in the news today ??

Three woman and a male worker facing charges although listening to some of the evidence there should be a couple more of them being prosecuted .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, just THREE women facing charges after all but what about the TWO blokes that were caught in bed with an old male patient causing him great upset ??

Surely those two men just be facing charges as well ??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is there no interest in this horrendous story ??
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Why is there no interest in this horrendous story ??

Because I haven't read anything about it.

Any link?
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not from working there but I went on a trial stay at a residential facility for people on the Autistic Spectrum.

One member of staff really was not at all pleasant and liead about a serious incident, I brought this up with management, it just got worse for me.
    Luckily I was able to go home, I made a complaint but it was jsut dismissed, I went to the CQC but got nowhere :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I haven't read anything about it.

Any link?

Yep

Hillcroft Care Home , Lancaster .

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/05/dementia-patients-bullied-care-home-court-hears
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SmartTIIam wrote: »
    Has anybody working in a care home "blown the whistle" on any abuse they saw, whether intentional or unintentional, how did you go about it and what was the outcome?

I may be in the situation of having to do this, but I am worried about what reprisals I might encounter as a result. When I say abuse, I mean verbal abuse and a care worker treating residents roughly, to the point of reducing them to tears and causing unnecessary pain when dressing and undressing.

In exactly the same way as I think child abuse (whatever form it takes) abusing another human being (whatever their age or status) IT IS WRONG and I would report it to the 'inspectors' the repercussions and reprisals are always a worry but we must put the victim of abuse first - I believe to get justice for the victims of abuse we may personally have to experience a little hardship. sorry!
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    Not from working there but I went on a trial stay at a residential facility for people on the Autistic Spectrum.

One member of staff really was not at all pleasant and liead about a serious incident, I brought this up with management, it just got worse for me.
    Luckily I was able to go home, I made a complaint but it was jsut dismissed, I went to the CQC but got nowhere :(

That's awful :( Well done for trying though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When my eldest son was in his early teens he worked for this company (Hillcroft Care Homes, Lancaster)he was often left to look after people that were dying without a more experienced staff member and he was present at the death of quite a number of the residents - we were quite concerned for him as this kind of experience for young people can be quite traumatic - the company didn't seem to care about the staff and the staff (at least some of them) didn't seem very compassionate (I must add, some of the staff were/are brilliant)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks.

That's terrible, but I'm glad some people were decent enough to expose the whole thing. It's also made me a little sad, it's so easy to forget about our vulnerable members of society until there's a story of abuse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's evidence to the effect that one of the cleaners walked into a bedroom and found TWO MALE. staff in bed with an elderly male patient who was obviously in a very distressed state.

So why on earth are those two male members if staff not being prosecuted .... it makes my heart billed when I hear these dreadful cases .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there's evidence to the effect that one of the cleaners walked into a bedroom and found TWO MALE. staff in bed with an elderly male patient who was obviously in a very distressed state.

So why on earth are those two male members if staff not being prosecuted .... it makes my heart billed when I hear these dreadful cases .

Is Smith a man? I read it and thought it was a woman. :eek:

The article just throws in "Smith" as if we're supposed to know who that is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because the article posted was a badly written one.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hillcroft-care-home-trial-dementia-2679449
    Darren Smith, 35, from Lancaster, has already admitted eight counts and is not on trial.

Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh wow. I would say something, but it would include lots of swearing. :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh wow. I would say something, but it would include lots of swearing. :mad:

You'll be swearing even more when they get a few hours picking up litter as their sentence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll be swearing even more when they get a few hours picking up litter as their sentence.

Which is only half as much as I'll do if they get off. ;)
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As they always are! :rolleyes:
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    This seems to go on and on. Who are these awful people that can cause such distress, and it not bother them? It's so upsetting. I vow that I will never have my mum put in a home, never.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are two problems IMO.... firstly that too many people go into caring because they can't get any other work and have no skill or even desire to acquire skill.

Secondly, that the complaints made by hugely vulnerable patients are not taken seriously.

The issue I had, it was just me and a member of staff, nobody else saw what happened and who do they believe? A 'client' with ASC and long term MH issues or a 'reliable' member of staff?

It's shocking really :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    There are two problems IMO.... firstly that too many people go into caring because they can't get any other work and have no skill or even desire to acquire skill.

Secondly, that the complaints made by hugely vulnerable patients are not taken seriously.

The issue I had, it was just me and a member of staff, nobody else saw what happened and who do they believe? A 'client' with ASC and long term MH issues or a 'reliable' member of staff?

It's shocking really :mad:

How long ago was that? I think the dimwitted CQC have woken up a bit since the bad publicity directed at them and their farcical inspections. These people wouldn't have got to court a few years ago. As for you first point, that's still going on. I wouldn't trust half of them to care for a sprout.