Eastenders - 30/01/14 - Poppy's revenge

Comments

• felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    I thought Linda Henry really excelled tonight during her scenes with Mick. Whether Shirley's acting the devil incarnate or Mother Theresa, the actress will always make her an exceptionally watchable character for me.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Would anyone lie with their head in their dad's lap?

I couldn't help but think the same... right by his crotch?!:blush:
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    felixrex wrote: »
    I thought Linda Henry really excelled tonight during her scenes with Mick. Whether Shirley's acting the devil incarnate or Mother Theresa, the actress will always make her an exceptionally watchable character for me.

It's like the character has had a complete reboot. They very nearly ruined Shirely for good with the Heather plot, but finally Linda has been given a storyline that fits her character and she's been flawless.

I'm learning to love Shirley again. Even more so now her and Phil don't seem to be drooling all over each other.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    Wait wait wait Dan.

So what you're saying is that this girl isn't real, and that she is merely a character being played by an actress? :eek:

My world has come crashing down :D
    Not Actress but Actor/ I am saying she's really a Man playing a women :p
    Mrs Brown She Isn't ;-)

I will send Phil Mitchell over to comfort you :)
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Yeh. Is Best Newcomer voted for by the public?
    No Panel but I think he will have the critics on his side tbh.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    No Panel but I think he will have the critics on his side tbh.

Ah I see. Yeh I think so too.

When are the nominees usually released?
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Ah I see. Yeh I think so too.

When are the nominees usually released?
    End of March usually I think.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    End of March usually I think.

Great :)
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    I couldn't help but think the same... right by his crotch?!:blush:

I thought I was the only one!
    Forum Member
    I thought I was the only one!

Surprised your eyes noticed something other than his crotch.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »

Ha! I walked right into that one
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,215
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    Ha! I walked right into that one

And I bet you'd like to walk right into his crotch too! :D
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Poppy must be the most overrated character and actress ever to walk on that square lol
    I disagree. You don't need to be a biatch to be a good character.
    It's not your money Shirley!
    Quite.
    Has Dexter even phoned an ambulance yet?
    No. He was enjoying himself and in any case, the Ambulance control wouldn't have understood him.
    Tanequil wrote: »
    So Mick paid well over £200K for the pub but Shirley wants equal ownership for £10,000 which isn't even her money.
    Only in Walford....roll eyes.
    David going bananas.
    Useless man cocks up the cooking again...roll eyes.
    Would anyone lie with their head in their dad's lap?
    Why not ?
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Is there only about 13 years between Danny dyer and the girl who plays nancy in real life
    He started young
    lola_skye wrote: »
    Selfish bastard ! He's only confessing to make himself feel better!!!!
    I didn't actually hear him confess to stealing the money. Did I miss it ?
    These two sound like lovers than siblings.
    More Carter secrets revealed. :o
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Aww I sort of feel sorry for Poppy she been so underused.
    Totally agree
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    Rachel Bright is actually a fantastic actress, she should have been given material like this - Drama
    Totally agree again.
    mr muggles wrote: »
    The actress playing Poppy has played it beautifully tonight. Really feel for her.
    I'm not. She's better off out of it.
    I can't believe Linda agreed to that
    She has to follow the script
    I still can't believe that they axed Poppy but kept Dexter.
    But Dexter is now an award winner :o
    Dan-Bevis wrote: »
    Good on Arthur to bare all.
    TMI :o
    xTonix wrote: »
    Don't know what it is, but I really like Dexter with Nancy, they have chemistry, it was also sweet how he was holding her hand.
    Dexter thought they had been on a date. :blush:
    Salome wrote: »
    Mick's scenes stood out for me. It is unusual to see such an intimate and natural scene between father and daughter, and the emotional intensity in his exchange with Shirley was really moving.
    I prefer senakot
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Really disappointed that Mick and Linda gave in, I wanted strong people in the Vic but no, we both two pussies who gave into a silly threat. Over the Carters now.
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It's a shame we don't do smiles, you know because you could do with one!"

One of the best lines in tonight's episode. I actually laughed when Denise said it! :D
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OKay then.

So. You spend a million on a bar you've wanted for years, constantly living in your mother's shadow. You buy it, move your whole family in... basically, you stake your entire life on the place. It's everything you've ever planned for, everything you will eventually leave to your kids. And then, your husband's sister comes along, someone who you've hated for years because she's, simply put, lazy. And she slobs about, not caring about your rota, being more of a hindrance than a help. Then, she has the cheek to throw you an ultimatum; you either make her a part owner, or she leaves. What do you do? According to Linda Carter, you agree.

W.T.... hell??????

Seriously. OK, Mick's a wimp when it comes to his sisters, but come on. OK, obviously, it was meant to show that Linda loves Mick and will do anything for him... but that's just a step too far. I did kind of feel for Shirl tonight, as seeing her Dad has brought up years of stuff she'd rather forget, but she had no right to ask of Mick what she has. She's basically emotionally blackmailing him, and he's one of the few people that loves her unconditionally. Not on, Shirl. Not on at all. I agree with an above poster though; Linda Henry is just so good I can't hate Shirl for this, and Danny Dyer did a fair job tonight as well; clearly talking about Stan really gets to him.

Elsewhere, Fatboy dumped Poppy! Looks like he's been having doubts for a while, which explains why he suddenly kissed Denise. Interesting dynamic: they kissed each other because both of them were in relationships they were unhappy with. Except while Fatboy has done the right thing and ended his, Denise remains in hers. Poppy might have been hurt, but she had no right to leave Ian a note like that, basically destroying Denise's life in the process. After all, she actually took her advice! A sad ending to a character that was supposed to be nice, but an ending all the same. So long, Poppy. I actually liked her, but I can see why DTC has gotten rid.

Dexter. You know, I actually kind of liked him tonight. His scenes with Nancy seemed natural. If he has to stick around, I could imagine far worse scenarios for him.

Massood is close to hitting rock bottom. The fact that Tamwar is so understanding just makes the situation ten times worse for him. What I just cannot abide is the idea of Shabnam coming back as some sort of moral compass for him, to set him on the straight and narrow and show him how to be a "proper Muslim." The idea of this uber-racist horrible bitch acting all role-model mode is actually just a little sickening. But, we'll see where this goes.

And Sonia was around. Doing... something.

OK episode. Not great, but not bad. I'm still enjoying the Carters, even if I have no idea why they've given Shirl the Vic.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Its probably not Poppy's style, but I wish she'd go & wallop Denise in the face from that sanctimonious speech she gave in the shop.

i was willing her to do this >:( Why was Dennis such a bitch? >:(>:(>:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible hangover. Phoning in sick :(
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fed up of self entitled Shirley.

Fed up of being their skivvy? She's worked in the pub less than a month, barely been seen in the place and yet they've given her a roof over her head, food etc. Just ridiculous that they would give in, regardless of what happened in the past.

10k that isn't even her own money to fix damp in the cellar doesn't give her an equal share in a pub that cost them several hundred thousand.

I get the feeling we're supposed to sympathise with the character, which the actress does a good job of, but I just can't stand her.

Edit - But the scene at the end at the Vic stairs, Danny Dyer impressed me with his acting. :D

I liked that they didn't overdramatise Nancy's fit, if they'd have done this with Lauren a couple of years ago it would've been a week's worth of shouting, crying and screaming all in the Branning household.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    Terrible hangover. Phoning in sick :(

:D Naughty boy.
  • AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    It's like the character has had a complete reboot. They very nearly ruined Shirely for good with the Heather plot, but finally Linda has been given a storyline that fits her character and she's been flawless.

I'm learning to love Shirley again. Even more so now her and Phil don't seem to be drooling all over each other.

Feels wrong disagreeing with you but Shirley bullying Mick to the point he is doing wrong by his own kids actually makes her more unlikeable than the doormat to Phil who pissed over Heathers memory. I actually think shes ruining them and that continues should be axed.

Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Fed up of self entitled Shirley.

Fed up of being their skivvy? She's worked in the pub less than a month, barely been seen in the place and yet they've given her a roof over her head, food etc. Just ridiculous that they would give in, regardless of what happened in the past.

10k that isn't even her own money to fix damp in the cellar doesn't give her an equal share in a pub that cost them several hundred thousand.

Its a joke and its ruining them for me. This is not just their future but their children too. No parent would do this, Shirley being a manipulative bully turns my stomach.

Mick blames Stan who couldn't cope in a day and age when single parents got no help let alone single fathers. I get it but then Shirley who had a supportive loving husband whom she cheated on repeatedly with walked out leaving him with 2 children that weren't his own and seriously ill child who was dying. Yet that somehow is different. Sure is different its worse.

The Carters have made a lot of stupid business mistakes since they arrived. But Shirley has run every business she was given (and they were all given to her) into the ground. A husband doing this to his spouse and children is a joke.
    Never in the shows history has 1 character had so many added to them over the space of one night. I wouldn't want that favouritism for any character but on bully Shirley its even worse. She is a nasty entitled bitch and bully. And I think she is ruining the Carters for me.

Tina and Deano should have been part of Shirleys unit and the Carters something separate. Her entitlement is a turn off. I felt really sorry for Linda and the kids having such a idiot husband and father. All at the expense of blatant favouritism to 1 character.

Oh and where the hell is Jay? I know he isn't related to Shirley thus less important but would be nice to know if he is still alive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree. The Carters were off to a good start but if every story and the whole family needs to worship at the alter of Shirley to continue then it's not looking good.

She's definitely much worse than during her 'Phil's doormat' stage.
  • ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,363
    Forum Member
    're this "name over the door" business, maybe it's like when Alfie took Kats name off and replaced it with Roxys, Mick and Linda are the main holders and Shirley is added on as a "partner" in the business, so in effect Joint Landlady but still a junior partner and Linda and Mick make the decisions and pocket most of the takings with Shirley getting a small share in line with her "contribution" (>:()?
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I am lot long back watching EE after a 5 year break from it .I watched it from day one when it started until a few years ago
    Now I am enjoying it all over again and loving it back to its old self .But if everything revolves around Shirley I think I will find myself switching off again. She makes me turn off .