Options

Protein Shakes for Gym Workouts

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have looked at some bottles, nothing particular stuck out.

But I am serious. I know that chocolate milk helps. Why wouldn't someone in this thread, be able to explain to me why this is so much better? Even if I remembered all the ingredients, it could be that I don't know why they would help significantly more, than the proportions of proteins, carbs, electrolytes, and water, that you get from chocolate milk.

How do you know chocolate milk helps?
    How do you know that protein shakes don't help more?

A quick Google on Tesco.com shows this bottle of chocolate milk - http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268676457

At 330ml, a bottle contains 34.7g of sugar and only 11g of protein. THAT is why they're not recommended. You'd be better off with a pint of milk. It has the same amount of fat, slightly less protein but far less sugar.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was guilty of overcomplicating things - now you are!! Basically, as a newbie, pretty much whatever you do works as it's all new stimuli. As your body adjusts to the new workload, you have to increase the intensity to still reap the same benefits (increase speed, duration, weight, sets, reps, reduce rest periods, etc.).

It's excerise-type specific, so someone who's only done running but has run for years will benefit hugely from lifting weights as it's a completely new stimulus, same as someone who's only ever cycled will benefit from running, etc, etc.

Sure, but I'm not a newbie. I've been training for years, combining weights and HIIT. I know from my own workouts that it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle. It's not easy but it's certainly not the imposibility some make it out to be. It just takes hard work and be willing to sacrifice some gains in the short term, knowing that in the long term you'll gain more than you lose. I am always aware of my nutrition, but I'm not anal about it. I've learned to listen to my body and learned from experiences (both in the gym and the kitchen).
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know chocolate milk helps?
    I've been using it, and I've been not using it (having only water in its place).
    How do you know that protein shakes don't help more?
    I don't. But it costs me about 20 NOK (£2) per full liter of chocolate milk, and at the gym I go to, they charge 75 NOK (£7.5) for half a liter of the protein shake. Even if that's exceedingly highly priced because it's at the gym, if it only cost twice as much, I'd want it to be twice as effective.
    A quick Google on Tesco.com shows this bottle of chocolate milk - http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=268676457

At 330ml, a bottle contains 34.7g of sugar and only 11g of protein. THAT is why they're not recommended. You'd be better off with a pint of milk. It has the same amount of fat, slightly less protein but far less sugar.

For the sugar that seems to be more of a weight concern than an exercise concern. Which is fair enough for those who are focused on that. But the way I mix it (I get milk and chocolate powder separately), it ends up with about 600 calories per liter, which is no more than what I burn in an hour of exercise.

I might want to try out some form of protein shake at some point, but I'd at least have to find something cheaper, for it to be worth considering getting into.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Out of interest, what exactly are these exercises and pieces of equipment that burn fat? I mean obviously any CV exercise done at c.60% of MHR will specifically target fat as a fuel for the exercise, but it doesn't matter if it's the treadmill, cross-trainer or bike. As for exercises that burn fat - please elaborate as I'm intrigued.

You have answered your own question. Running, rowing, elliptical, aerobic, interval etc are all cardio exercises that increase the heart rate and help burn fat. A add resistance training and you are good to go.
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also heard the more muscle you have the more fat/calories you burn ?

true ?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also heard the more muscle you have the more fat/calories you burn ?

true ?

Yes it's true.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swimming, one of the best exercises you can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's true.

so ..in that case wouldn't it make more sense to build muscle then do cardio ?

see what I was thinking was something like
    Monday = run
    Tuesday = swim
    weds = gym
    Thursday = run
    Friday= swim

rest weeknds (maybe short run sat or sunday)
    then obviously shake it up a bit swap days etc ?

would that be effective
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Swimming, one of the best exercises you can do.

It is as far as single types of exercise go but really people should be doing a mixture of different types of exercise if they want progression. Football players don't just play football when training and swimmers don't just swim. All athletes do a mixture of things because your body adapts to the same thing all the time and you stop getting the progress you did at the beginning.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so ..in that case wouldn't it make more sense to build muscle then do cardio ?

see what I was thinking was something like
    Monday = run
    Tuesday = swim
    weds = gym
    Thursday = run
    Friday= swim

rest weeknds (maybe short run sat or sunday)
    then obviously shake it up a bit swap days etc ?

would that be effective

It's entirely possible to become lean and do no cardio, it's all down to diet and having a lot of muscle mass makes losing the bodyfat easier. However it is obviously not the healthiest way of looking good. Your training routine will all depend on your end goal. If you want to be skinny, but fit then cardio 4x a week and weights once is not a bad routine. However if your goal is to be muscular/aesthetic then it would be a very poor routine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's entirely possible to become lean and do no cardio, it's all down to diet and having a lot of muscle mass makes losing the bodyfat easier. However it is obviously not the healthiest way of looking good. Your training routine will all depend on your end goal. If you want to be skinny, but fit then cardio 4x a week and weights once is not a bad routine. However if your goal is to be muscular/aesthetic then it would be a very poor routine.

to be honest I don't think ill ever be skiny as I mentioned previous I am quite stocky and broad (ex rugby player)

I think my intial plan was to lose the belly then "bulk" up no so much bodly builder look just defined
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have found building the back and doing squats to be a great help, you can gain so much muscle mass and as I read - if you can lift a 70kg barbell on your shoulders how well will your posture look when it's is not there.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    You have answered your own question. Running, rowing, elliptical, aerobic, interval etc are all cardio exercises that increase the heart rate and help burn fat. A add resistance training and you are good to go.

No, you said there are certain types of exercise. What you meant was "exercise" LOL!! There aren't specific exercises that burn body fat.

Now how about the specific pieces of equipment that burn body fat. Care to share what these mythical things are??
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    No, you said there are certain types of exercise. What you meant was "exercise" LOL!! There aren't specific exercises that burn body fat.

Now how about the specific pieces of equipment that burn body fat. Care to share what these mythical things are??

You seem to being oddly pedantic and a bit weird.

The examples I mentioned are all types of exercise. As for equipment, obviously treadmills, steppers, rowing machines, cross trainers, exercise bikes etc. Not mythical at all, in fact they are well proven.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Thats not really HIIT tbh. You need to increase frquency of the sprints, and if you're doing it for 30 minutes, then I'd say you probably need to increase the intesity of the sprints also. 20 minutes max, and by the 20th minute you should feel like like you're about to explode.

Anyway, most of the calorie burning takes places over the following 12/24 hours when it comes to HIIT, so the readings on the maching are pretty useless.

Well it is, tbh - It's totally up to the individual how frequent they would like to sprint during their HIIT session, from every 2 minutes, up to 4 minutes.

'Need to increase my sprints' - for what? I'm in great shape and everything I do, after much trial and error, works well for me.

The readings on the machines are not 'useless' either - if they were that irrelevant then manufacturers wouldn't bother spending the money to include them. If you move, you burn calories - that's what a reading will show.

No offence to you, as I'm sure you know your stuff, but the arrogance from 'health fanatics' can be so annoying at times, as everybody has a different opinion, and everybody thinks they know best (especially when it comes to educating others) - For every article you read, you can find another one that challenges it, or even says the complete opposite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Well it is, tbh - It's totally up to the individual how frequent they would like to sprint during their HIIT session, from every 2 minutes, up to 4 minutes.

I know it's up to the individual. And what your doing is beginners level, at best. Tell yourself you're doing HIIT if you like. It's not.
    'Need to increase my sprints' - for what? I'm in great shape and everything I do, after much trial and error, works well for me.

I recommend you Increase the intensity, if you can. Try it, then get beck to me and tell me that what you've been doing until now is HIIT. As you say, trial and error. It is the best way. If all you can do is what you're doing now, then you're in ok shape, nothing more than that; "great shape" would be an overstatement. And yes, I've been doing this long enough to be able to recognise that just from what you've said already. It's not arrogance, it's experience, so I really hope you take this on board in the spirit it was meant.
    The readings on the machines are not 'useless' either - if they were that irrelevant then manufacturers wouldn't bother spending the money to include them. If you move, you burn calories - that's what a reading will show.

The readings are useless for HIIT for reasons already explained to you in the post you quoted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know it's up to the individual. And what your doing is beginners level, at best. Tell yourself you're doing HIIT if you like. It's not.

I recommend you Increase the intensity, if you can. Try it, then get beck to me and tell me that what you've been doing until now is HIIT. As you say, trial and error. It is the best way. If all you can do is what you're doing now, then you're in ok shape, nothing more than that; "great shape" would be an overstatement. And yes, I've been doing this long enough to be able to recognise that just from what you've said already. It's not arrogance, it's experience, so I really hope you take this on board in the spirit it was meant.

The readings are useless for HIIT for reasons already explained to you in the post you quoted.

Beginners level for what? You don't even know what my goals are :confused:

These guys seem to share my interpretation of what 'HIIT' is - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm
    I like to keep the work:rest intervals a little longer than most at 1:2.

As an example, after a 4 minute slow jog/cycle warm up perform 20 seconds of all out sprints followed by 40 seconds of jogging repeated for 8-12 sets with a 4 minute cooldown of slow jogging at the end. If there is one key to HIIT cardio it is to keep it creative. Basically, the more you struggle with fat gain and/or loss, the more cardio and HIIT sessions you'll need to perform with 3 cardio and 3 HIIT cardio sessions being the max. Those somewhere in the middle of the metabolic continuum should perform 3 HIIT sessions and ditch the regular cardio sessions. Those with excellent metabolisms might find they need only 1-or-2 HIIT sessions per week.

When referring to 'great shape' I'm talking about my nice tight abs, my low body fat percentage, that is now under 10%, the muscle I've managed to build over the last year, and my overall weight etc...I'm not interested in running marathons or achieving the stamina of an athletic runner.

Seeing as lots of people who lift weights don't bother with any cardio at all, I think I'll stick to my 4 days a week of my current regime, which helps create some crazy deficits, alongside my perfect diet and almost daily lifting sessions. Doing fine right here and didn't ask for any advice so not sure why I'm getting 'schooled' here....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beginners level for what? You don't even know what my goals are :confused:

Beginners level for someone who wants to add HIIT into their routine.
    These guys seem to share my interpretation of what 'HIIT' is - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

The HIIT timings example described there is what what you do? How long have you been doing that? A year? Come on. That's just for starters, the thing about HIIT is that you have to keep pushing it, trial and error remember.
    When referring to 'great shape' I'm talking about my nice tight abs, my low body fat percentage, that is now under 10%, the muscle I've managed to build over the last year, and my overall weight etc...I'm not interested in running marathons or achieving the stamina of an athletic runner.

That's all sounds good. By the way who's the guy on your Twitter account? He looks fairly average to me. Certainly wouldn't say he looks like someone in "great" shape. :p
    Seeing as lots of people who lift weights don't bother with any cardio at all, I think I'll stick to my 4 days a week of my current regime, which helps create some crazy deficits, alongside my perfect diet and almost daily lifting sessions. Doing fine right here and didn't ask for any advice so not sure why I'm getting 'schooled' here....

Easy Napoleon, I ain't schooling anyone, but considering you memorably terrible advice you gave on the Advice forum the other week to the guy who wanted to develop his arm muscles, and the fact that you if you don't get that the bulk of calorie burn resulting from HIIT occurs after the event itself, rendering the readings on the machine useless, maybe you should carry out some further research and be a bit more open minded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Beginners level for someone who wants to add HIIT into their routine.

The HIIT timings example described there is what what you do? How long have you been doing that? A year? Come on. That's just for starters, the thing about HIIT is that you have to keep pushing it, trial and error remember.

That's all sounds good. By the way who's the guy on your Twitter account? He looks fairly average to me. Certainly wouldn't say he looks like someone in "great" shape. :p

Easy Napoleon, I ain't schooling anyone, but considering you memorably terrible advice you gave on the Advice forum the other week to the guy who wanted to develop his arm muscles, and the fact that you if you don't get that the bulk of calorie burn resulting from HIIT occurs after the event itself, rendering the readings on the machine useless, maybe you should some further research and be a bit more open minded.

Here we go....Can't even be assed.

The guy on the twitter is....me - 12 months ago - you can do alot in 12 months, as you must know ;-)

If being an expert in health and fitness induces the kind of attitude you have, then I think I'll remain a humble 'beginner' :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go....Can't even be assed.

The guy on the twitter is....me - 12 months ago - you can do alot in 12 months, as you must know ;-)

If being an expert in health and fitness induces the kind of attitude you have, then I think I'll remain a humble 'beginner' :cool:

Lol, oh boo hoo. I say something that you don't like so of course I must have an attitude. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol, oh boo hoo. I say something that you don't like so of course I must have an attitude. :D

A statement that a 14 year old would casually make right there - congrats. :cool:

My opinion was based on your previous posts, and sanctimonious attitude - a typical 'fitness guru' type who knows it all, whilst everyone else is either wrong or misinformed - yeah cool, if it makes you feel special.

I'm at work, so can't indulge in any more of your 'one-upmanship' - apologies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A statement that a 14 year old would casually make right there - congrats. :cool:

My opinion was based on your previous posts, and sanctimonious attitude - a typical 'fitness guru' type who knows it all, whilst everyone else is either wrong or misinformed - yeah cool, if it makes you feel special.

I'm at work, so can't indulge in any more of your 'one-upmanship' - apologies.

Ah you're at work, that explains it. I'm sorry that everyone else at your work is getting sex on tap whilst you work your little butt off at the gym, and despite being in "great shape", don't get included in any of their sex games. Sure that must be frustrating and slightly soul crushing for you, but no need to turn a perfectly civil discussion into a slagging match just because you happened to be wrong about a couple if things. Chill. I'm sure we could do all without another one of your tantrums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah you're at work, that explains it. I'm sorry that everyone else at your work is getting sex on tap whilst you work your little butt off at the gym, and despite being in "great shape", don't get included in any of their sex games. Sure that must be frustrating and slightly soul crushing for you, but no need to turn a perfectly civil discussion into a slagging match just because you happened to be wrong about a couple if things. Chill. I'm sure we could do all without another one of your tantrums.

What on earth are you talking about now? You're a 43 year old man - grow up.

p.s Tantrum of the thread award goes to you on this occasion :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    There's your answer right there.
    Move around more.
    Eat less.

Forget about protein shakes - they're not magic beans. Think of them as an easy-to-digest protein source. If you need additional protein and you can't get your daily requirements from food, supplement your diet with protein shakes. But the likelihood of you needing additional protein considering what you're aiming to achieve are slim to none. So save your money and buy some new clothes for the summer to accompany your soon-to-be slimmer self :)

they help with recovery that's why people take them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was guilty of overcomplicating things - now you are!! Basically, as a newbie, pretty much whatever you do works as it's all new stimuli. As your body adjusts to the new workload, you have to increase the intensity to still reap the same benefits (increase speed, duration, weight, sets, reps, reduce rest periods, etc.).

It's excerise-type specific, so someone who's only done running but has run for years will benefit hugely from lifting weights as it's a completely new stimulus, same as someone who's only ever cycled will benefit from running, etc, etc.

I've always done more cardio but have recently started to lift weights 2 days out of the week, just to focus on building up my chest muscles a bit. I'm already seeing results after 6 weeks. The main thing I've learnt is you have to lift to exhaustion point, so that after the workout your muscles are totally worn out. It's only then that you start to see significant changes. Protein shakes might help but you definitely don't need them to build muscle. I just eat lots of eggs (4 for breakfast on workout days), beans, nuts and seeds. I rarely eat meat, so you don't need that to see results either.