Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missed Sakho, Lucas and Sturridge down the spine of the team and our better players were poor today. Watching Gerrard out there was tragic.
  • bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerrard should not have started, he would have been better off as him coming on as an impact sub. Disappointed in Liverpool today
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Team has a problem with getting the ball into midfield quickly when sakho isn't on the pitch. Coutinho missed him lots today.

Lucas was a big miss. Sterling needs to realise he is nowhere near the level he thinks he is.
  • Michael_VaughanMichael_Vaughan Posts: 12,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding it hard to feel sorry for Gerrard, given he was one of too many woeful performances today.This is a poor end to a great LFC career with today and the recent red card.

I've loved him as an LFC all time great but he's had enough success to get sentimental over now.He's one of many players to have had poor seasons and we haven't achieved any real progress on last year.

I really am having huge doubts about Rodgers. All the wrangling over Gerrard's contract earlier in the season took the Captains eye off his game.The same has now been repeated with Stirling's contract being played out in the media.Those issues just wouldn't be happening at other big clubs with their star players. Not just Rodgers doing is that of course,it's also up to the boardroom to protect our players.

On the field, Brendan just looks out of his depth whenever he faces a key game.Too often out thought by the likes of Mourinho,Wengee and Van Gaal in those battles. Then he gets outwitted by Tim Sherwood today.
  • OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,480
    Forum Member
    Oh well, that's that over then, like any LFC fan I am totally gutted that we were so dire on the day. Oh that Lucas had been fit, or Sakho - we have kept our heads up most of the season without Sturridge - but the other two were vital for today.

The guy that flagged Mario offside want to be taken to the centre of the pitch and shot, shocking reffing on such a vital match.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreadful performance from us, we didn't turn up :(
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say this is a time to consider a manager change with not even a cup final in 3 years Klopp is free to take over now and its who we should be looking too
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must say this is a time to consider a manager change with not even a cup final in 3 years Klopp is free to take over now and its who we should be looking too

Hate to say it but I have started to think it too, Rogers just can't get it right when it matters and has bought badly, time for a change would love Klopp.
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd agree with that, I don't think there is anything more BR can do or offer us.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm. Interesting about youse guyses views. I haven't lost faith in Rodgers just yet, and I still want him as our manager going forward. But there's no doubt he got it wrong today, and was tactically outdone by Tim.

Let's not underestimate how big the losses of Lucas and Sakho have been. It's clear Coutinho misses Sakho, as he seems to be the only defender capable of passing the ball forward from the back. How many times have we seen Sakho completely bypass the opposition midfield with one precise pass? Not getting that from Skrtel or Lovren.

Also, Lovren needs to **** off. He's unpopular enough as it is without him blazing a shot over the bar from 160 yards in the 93rd minute with pretty much EVERY team mate in front of him. Prick.
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think BT Sport got this very right. "Liverpool win all the games apart from the games they need to win" this is very much a problem for us. All the big games we've needed to win since BR has been in charge we've cocked up.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think BT Sport got this very right. "Liverpool win all the games apart from the games they need to win" this is very much a problem for us. All the big games we've needed to win since BR has been in charge we've cocked up.

Try telling Man City fans that.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very poor today.

A lot of passengers. Gerrard and Henderson were awful.

Stirling has so much to learn.

Think BR made a mistake taking Markovic off so early.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Congrats to AVFC who fully deserved to win.

Very disappointed to put it mildly. The hardest thing for me to say is that in general they seemed to want it far more than us. It is hard to know where to start in analysing what we have seen today and the general state of our club. I will try not to do my usual mega post!!

I think some key players were out today who would have improved our display (Sakho, Lallana, Sturridge, Lucas in particular) and we had some sub standard people in the starting eleven (Lovren, Markovic especially but also sad to say Gerrard was very anonymous and of the others Sterling, Allen and Moreno - apart from 'that' tackle - were bad too). If 6 of your team are poor and the other 5 are not great then you are not going to win many matches!!

So the season is no cups and prob 5th in the league so I think the summer will be interesting and there will be some who question whether BR should stay especially with Klopp available - but I can't see that happening and do not think it should - hopefully tho we will see movement both in and out to improve us.

and I'll sign off there :D
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    A whole season without a fully fit,talented,hard working prolific goalscorer.... that's one of the main issues :-(
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Hmm. Interesting about youse guyses views. I haven't lost faith in Rodgers just yet, and I still want him as our manager going forward. But there's no doubt he got it wrong today, and was tactically outdone by Tim.

Let's not underestimate how big the losses of Lucas and Sakho have been. It's clear Coutinho misses Sakho, as he seems to be the only defender capable of passing the ball forward from the back. How many times have we seen Sakho completely bypass the opposition midfield with one precise pass? Not getting that from Skrtel or Lovren.

Also, Lovren needs to **** off. He's unpopular enough as it is without him blazing a shot over the bar from 160 yards in the 93rd minute with pretty much EVERY team mate in front of him. Prick.

When sakho doesn't play the whole dynamics of the team changes.. It's a problem that we are gonna have going forward unless we find some new defenders who can pass the ball forward accurately and quickly.

Gerrard and Henderson were lost in midfield. Total passengers giving Joe Allen way too much to do on his own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its true.

Benitez winning us the CL, then qualifying for it for most of his seasons in charge seems like a distant golden era in our current situation.

The expectancy at this club is still phenomenal, despite not winning the league for a quarter of a century now. I do wonder if that drags around the neck of every player and manager whenever we play. I don't expect any period of domination by LFC in my lifetime again (' only' 38 years Old now LOL). It would be amazing to have a PL title win every five years or so and challenging more often than that with regular CL qualification and some more ole big ears wins though.

Just not sure if we can give Rodgers another summer of spending and another year at the helm though. Do we allow younger managers time and the chance to develop the experience that the likes of Mourinho and Wenger have?
    Or do we go for the greater experience as a short term option to hopefully bring us a big prize sooner?
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it hard to feel sorry for Gerrard, given he was one of too many woeful performances today.This is a poor end to a great LFC career with today and the recent red card.

I've loved him as an LFC all time great but he's had enough success to get sentimental over now.He's one of many players to have had poor seasons and we haven't achieved any real progress on last year.

I really am having huge doubts about Rodgers. All the wrangling over Gerrard's contract earlier in the season took the Captains eye off his game.The same has now been repeated with Stirling's contract being played out in the media.Those issues just wouldn't be happening at other big clubs with their star players. Not just Rodgers doing is that of course,it's also up to the boardroom to protect our players.

On the field, Brendan just looks out of his depth whenever he faces a key game.Too often out thought by the likes of Mourinho,Wengee and Van Gaal in those battles. Then he gets outwitted by Tim Sherwood today.

Agree with this. Rodgers isn't the worst manager in the world but I do think he's reached his 'level'. I just can't see us going anywhere while he's in charge. He still shows far too much tactical naivety when it really matters.

I'm not a fan of sacking managers on a regular basis like some teams, but I do think we would benefit more from a change in manager now. I just don't see what Rodgers will bring to the table next season that will better us to where we are now unfortunately. If I was FSG, I'd be seriously looking at other options so we can attempt to move forward again instead of stalling... and even worse, going backwards.
    Forum Member
    I have said this before but ever since man city became a top 4 side it's unrealistic to think Liverpool should be in the top 4 every year no matter who is in charge.

Before man city came on the scene it was definitely easier.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I don't particularly want Brendan to go, I'm still on his side. Unless he has lost the dressing room, which would mean it's time to go since it's hard to come back from that.

I'd only accept him going if we can actually get Klopp (or even Ancelotti). A benefit to that is if we got Klopp, well managers like to take someone from their previous club so we might finally get Reus or Hummels if FSG are willing to spend and offer the right wages. And who knows what Madrid players would follow Ancelotti? That'd be less likely, though.

So yeah I don't want Brendan out, unless he has lost the respect of a few of the players, but I wouldn't be too upset if we replaced him with Klopp.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me, or does Hendo not play as well when Gerrard is playing at the same time ?.
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I don't particularly want Brendan to go, I'm still on his side. Unless he has lost the dressing room, which would mean it's time to go since it's hard to come back from that.

I'd only accept him going if we can actually get Klopp (or even Ancelotti). A benefit to that is if we got Klopp, well managers like to take someone from their previous club so we might finally get Reus or Hummels if FSG are willing to spend and offer the right wages. And who knows what Madrid players would follow Ancelotti? That'd be less likely, though.

So yeah I don't want Brendan out, unless he has lost the respect of a few of the players, but I wouldn't be too upset if we replaced him with Klopp.

Regarding reus. Highly unlikely as he signed a new 4 year deal in February. Can't see him going anywhere anytime soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me, or does Hendo not play as well when Gerrard is playing at the same time ?.

Definitely I'd say. Perhaps he feels a bit overshadowed. I'm not convinced Henderson should be our next Captain but overall he's put in better performances when he's had that responsibility this season.
  • South Coast52South Coast52 Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Congrats to AVFC who fully deserved to win.

I think some key players were out today who would have improved our display......./QUOTE]
    Villa deserved their win. We played poorly.

Villa had at least as long an injury list as us and they lost a key defender early on.

On paper we had by far the better team but most of them played poorly whereas most of Villa's players played above themselves.

I don't blame Brendan, I blame the awful on the pitch performance.
  • The LizardThe Lizard Posts: 2,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowhere near good enough today, that performance.

Credit to Aston Villa, they fully deserved to win and go on to the Final.

Our midfield was very much anonymous for very large parts of the game, and certain defenders were not very good as well. Balotelli did more for the time he was on the pitch, than most players combined!

As for the offside decision against Mario, he was clearly onside, a very poor call, but the flag had gone up right away, plus 2 Villa defenders had more or less stopped, just before Balotelli slotted home.

However, no excuse for a very poor performance from the lads today. As one poster put it, I hope they are ashamed of themselves on the trip home tonight. A bad time for a very bad day at the office!
This discussion has been closed.