Sweeney>>

swillsswills Posts: 4,004
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Special edition of the "Unforgettable" series, all about "The Sweeney", is being screened on Tues (4th ) Sept.

To co-incide with the film release, it's an hour long.

Comments

• GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will have to watch this, as loved The Sweeney, thanks for the heads up :)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump! 8 pm tonight. I suppose this is just to link with the new terrible film which I shall not watch even on TV.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winstone’s so fat in the film that I can only assume Ginsters must’ve paid for some product placement in this terrible movie. Fair warning - He’s interviewed in this programme and it’s a safe bet that at no point does he apologise for besmirching the memory of the original with this version which owes absolutely nothing to Thaw and Waterman’s classic except thieving the iconic name. Apparently it doesn’t even have the classic music either! They must’ve tried so it seems someone with sense refused to let them have it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah i can't see the film being any good tbh, just won't be the same without the late John Thaw and Dennis Waterman.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard that the only thing the film has in common with the series is the name.

Not even sure they'll have the theme tune.
  • Mr.HumphriesMr.Humphries Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Winstone’s so fat in the film that I can only assume Ginsters must’ve paid for some product placement in this terrible movie. Fair warning - He’s interviewed in this programme and it’s a safe bet that at no point does he apologise for besmirching the memory of the original with this version which owes absolutely nothing to Thaw and Waterman’s classic except thieving the iconic name. Apparently it doesn’t even have the classic music either! They must’ve tried so it seems someone with sense refused to let them have it.

I know, the movie has success written all over it! :p John must be spinning in his grave or laughing at this upcoming disaster.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Big Fan....looking forward to this.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, the movie has success written all over it! :p John must be spinning in his grave or laughing at this upcoming disaster.

The history of films being made of TV series [comedy or drama] is one sorry spectacle after another. In the early 70s there semmed to be a movie for practically anything popular on the box, but the running time extension necessitated for the big screen usually stretched the scripts to breaking point. The two On the Buses movies always get heavily slated in film review books like Halliwell etc and no wonder.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even sure they'll have the theme tune.

They don’t.

Artistic bankruptcy - Your name is Nick Love.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get your trousers on, You're nicked.:D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    The history of films being made of TV series [comedy or drama] is one sorry spectacle after another. In the early 70s there semmed to be a movie for practically anything popular on the box, but the running time extension necessitated for the big screen usually stretched the scripts to breaking point. The two On the Buses movies always get heavily slated in film review books like Halliwell etc and no wonder.
    There was 2 Sweeney Movies.......... not bad as I remember.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,430
    Forum Member
    "We're The Sweeney and we haven't had our dinner"
  • Dave5158Dave5158 Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It's hard to be optimistic with misty optics." (or something similar) said by Carter.

Can't remember which episode but it's always stuck in my mind
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    " 'Oo taught you to drive - Evel Knievel?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    All I know of the tv series The Sweeney is that it must have been pretty good as my mum told me that during an episode shown at christmas 1981 she went into labour and refused point blank to go to hospital until it was finished... I was born 25 minutes after she got to hospital..

I have seen the trailer for the movie and I think it looks like a fairly alright flick.. I would watch it but like I said, I have nothing to compare it to
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the producers lack any real imagination. As so many do so often..
    They're not on my list of would be future compadres.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two On the Buses movies always get heavily slated in film review books like Halliwell etc and no wonder.

There was three-Holiday on the Buses being the last-and, in my opinion, the best.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tashajayne wrote: »
    All I know of the tv series The Sweeney is that it must have been pretty good as my mum told me that during an episode shown at christmas 1981 she went into labour and refused point blank to go to hospital until it was finished... I was born 25 minutes after she got to hospital..

I have seen the trailer for the movie and I think it looks like a fairly alright flick.. I would watch it but like I said, I have nothing to compare it to

ITV4 are showing a selection of episodes on Saturday and the film too:)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    They don’t.

Artistic bankruptcy - Your name is Nick Love.

Cor, you can't have a Sweeney film without the theme tune.

'The Sweeney, The Sweeney, The Sweeney'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patrick Mower was great in it, nice and easy does it, every tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime, remember one of those had Mr Rumbold in from Are You Being Served :p
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    remember one of those had Mr Rumbold in from Are You Being Served :p

Yes-the two Aussies worked at his swimming pool, but resigned with this exchange.

1st Aussie: 'We'd like to tell you how much we've enjoyed working for you...'

2nd Aussie: 'But we haven't, so we won't!'

They then pushed him in the him in the swimming pool, in front of a load of customers!:D
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sweeny was top notch 70's telly. We all gathered in front of the TV without fail! Rough, gritty, and you never could be sure that the villains would be caught or if they'd live to fight another day. You weren't even sure the police were doing the right thing sometimes. I doubt the new version will capture the same feeling.
  • jamiepr74jamiepr74 Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    I liked seeing the behind the scenes footage, shame we never saw more of John and Dennis having fun with the crew......
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    Cor, you can't have a Sweeney film without the theme tune.

'The Sweeney, The Sweeney, The Sweeney'.

I always loved the outro music and credits as well. The same tune featuring a harmonica played over some evocative black and white stills. Very 70s.:cool:

Not sure if I can face the new film.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its all day Sweeny on ITV4 this Saturday.