MTV Dance

paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone know if these rumours are true? If so, what will it become? MTV Party?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    It should be renamed MTV Base Extra!!

There simply isn’t enough dance music released in this country anymore its like record compaines have some communist music agreement with the US!!
    Have you seen the UK top 40 its all made up of rap music and british pop. :eek:

Compare the single charts with France, Germany and Holland and there’s plenty of dance released there.

MTV UK is a joke if you want decent MTV channels your going to have to move your dish away from murdocks satellites :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James N wrote:
    It should be renamed MTV Base Extra!!

There simply isn’t enough dance music released in this country anymore its like record compaines have some communist music agreement with the US!!
    Have you seen the UK top 40 its all made up of rap music and british pop. :eek:

Compare the single charts with France, Germany and Holland and there’s plenty of dance released there.

MTV UK is a joke if you want decent MTV channels your going to have to move your dish away from murdocks satellites :D
    True, everytime I watch there playing sodding hip-hop b*llocks .. which I hate. Admitedly there ain't much dance in our charts, but if there's enough stuff released (in Europe, etc), then why not source videos from there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I'm glad there isn't much dance tracks as i hate dance music, i mean its alright at a club but i find it boring and repeatitive
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,794
    Forum Member
    MTV Dance isn't closing, it changed to MTV Xmas Party from 9th - 27th December but it's back to MTV Dance now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad there isn't much dance tracks as i hate dance music, i mean its alright at a club but i find it boring and repeatitive
    I find rnb boring and repetitive.

I agree there isnt much dance music in the charts, which is a mighty shame. I love a good bit of trance or techno (as long as its nothing too cheesy :D) as well as the more obscure tracks. For instance, MTV dance late at night is what first introduced me to FSOL (Future Sound of London). I would never have found out about them otherwise, and i think its great "music" :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From another post which lists the top 150 digital channels. MTV2 is at 91, while Dance is at 76.

Why then isn't MTV2 going the way of the dodo and indeed why do they pander to the indie lot with no comericals and a indie playlist (no rnb as far as I am aware)
  • FalkirkJimFalkirkJim Posts: 1,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said Woody and Exulus! :)

MTV Dance needs to be just that......DANCE! I have lost count of the amount of times since its launch that threads have been started here bemoaning the fact that MTV execs dont seem to understand the word DANCE!

Yes, there isnt as much dance music getting an airing in the UK, but there is plenty of opportunity for MTV Dance to take stuff from the continent.....

.....doubt they will though, that would mean them being innovative!!!
    Forum Member
    I’m still awaiting for 'Drunkenmunky - Calabria' to be released into the UK charts :sleep: . I seen the video on TMF NL and MTV2POP and guess what there British and the video is filmed in the UK.

Its number 4 on the TMF Interactive Charts :D (NL)

I also think most r'n'b is boring and repetitive but I like european r'n'b music like K'Maro
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Please let it be true.

WE have 4 MTV channels from 440-443 and they show either Nick and Jessica which i do not see has anything to do with MTV apart from the fact they are overated stars. The other 3 show the same thing.

Get rid of these docu programmes and get more music on and keep the dance and hip hop on one channel
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick and Jessica which i do not see has anything to do with MTV

I guess Newlyweds has something to do with music television as they are both musicians. But I agree, we need more music based stuff on there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Yes, I should have said that i can't see how anyone can be interested in this kind of rubbish
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble is that MTV UK seems to have a tiny budget as most of their shows are US imports from MTV America.
    Forum Member
    simonlewis wrote:
    Please let it be true.

WE have 4 MTV channels from 440-443 and they show either Nick and Jessica which i do not see has anything to do with MTV apart from the fact they are overated stars. The other 3 show the same thing.

Get rid of these docu programmes and get more music on and keep the dance and hip hop on one channel

Don't forget MTV Central Europe and MTV2POP are FTA on Astra1:(See here) and are a thousand times better than all the MTV UK channels

MTV doesn't have a tiny budget at all! The MTV UK channels are never going to improve there just going to get even worser :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humm, but its called mtv DANCE .. call me crazy, but if its called DANCE, then it should have dance music. If you don't like dance music, the don't watch it, watch MTV Base.
  • gwiddecombegwiddecombe Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish MTV would play more actual dance music. Most of what it is playing resembles hiphop stuff rubbish.
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    there is plenty of underground stuff in this country, why dont tehy just mix the channel with underground and europes dance market

although i dont like the cheesey pop stuff that gets into the charts its got to be better than hearing bloody eminem and sodding nelly etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that from tomorrow Sky's EPG is listing MTV Office Party etc. on MTV Dance like it did over christmas. :rolleyes: I hope this is an error!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont see how you could class all dance music as boring or repetitive - There are many genres of dance - House, Garage, Drum n Bass, Funky House, Trance, Techno, Hardcore, Ambient, Breakbeat. All those styles of music are totally different.
    If you dont like MTV Dance then dont watch it!

On the subject of MTV Dance - Its crap during the day but after 7pm its generally good, they actually play dance music, whether its the latest releases or some 'Old Skool'.
    The best programme is the 'I got mashed in...' series.

There is good dance music out there but you just gotta look harder to find it, many dance tracks never get released as singles now!
    Forum Member
    Hmm Digiguide also lists Office Party, Time To Party etc from tomorrow.

So unless MTV has sent out a load of incorrect schedules, looks like MTV Party is coming back.
    Forum Member
    Chris E wrote:
    Hmm Digiguide also lists Office Party, Time To Party etc from tomorrow.

So unless MTV has sent out a load of incorrect schedules, looks like MTV Party is coming back.

I hope it isn't coming back! Proper dance music didn't start until midnight during the Christmas schedule... I suppose we'd have to make do with Weekender which is still listed.
    Forum Member
    It's possible that it will still be MTV Dance but they've just decided to use the MTV Party programme titles, instead of "Here We Go" "Turn Up The Bass" "Hold Tight!" etc that they've used for ages now...
    Forum Member
    This could be true. However, this would mean no Top 10 at 10 or 2pm. Ultimate Set, I Got Mashed and MTV Dance Presents are no longer listed either leaving us with a very bare schedule!

Also, every night after midnight is listed as old skool anthems meaning even less new dance music will be shown!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good dance music there is indeed :)

I recommend www.di.fm if you wanna hear some good stuff. Also, there is a very cool "dance network" thing someone has made which is extremly extensive, you could spend hours on it. Click here for it: http://www.ishkur.com/music/ Its great! :)
    Forum Member
    Thanks for those links, Exulus!

I wrote an email to MTV Dance a few weeks ago regarding their schedule, and finally got a reply today after sending them another. It reads:

"Hello Tom

Sorry I haven't got back to you before but I received your first email along with a barrage of other stuff after returning from the Christmas break. I work in the Interactive department, and part of my job is handling any online stuff for Dance. I'm not sure who is actually in charge of MTV Dance at the moment as it's currently in a bit of a transitional period. I will pass your first email onto somebody who works on the channel and see if they will forward it to correct person.

Regards
    Nick "

We can only guess what this 'transitional period' is, but I hope it's for better and not for worse.
    Forum Member
    So the channel's in a "transitional period"... interesting news.

Of course it could be good or bad, the channel might finally have the balls to play real dance music like Rapture did, or sadly it could give up on dance music completely.

Either way, i'm glad it sounds like some changes are on the horizon as the channel currently is quite a mess. Dance fans are put off by the content, pop fans (who probably would like the daytime videos) are put off by the name. MTV Dance has never really had a stable playlist, it would be nice if they could decide on a direction for the channel and stick to it.