Bad experiences at the cinema?

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Made the mistake of going to see The Woman in Black during the Febuary half term holidays.

Teenage girls screaming at the slightest thing and idiots shouting things like 'Use your wand, Harry' and 'Expelliarmus'. :mad:

Well, you can't really complain about kids' behaviour if you're in a kids' film.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    The Woman in Black isnt exactly a kids film imo :confused:
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    The Woman in Black isnt exactly a kids film imo :confused:

I found it very scary for a 12.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    Yeah I thought it was creepy here and there :o
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rionia wrote: »
    Watching 'Pulp Fiction' years ago in Reading, and hearing the music from 'The Lion King' coming through the walls from the screen next door!

Your experience reminded of a time when we tried to watch Rififi, but we could hear loud bits of Gun Crazy from next door. During a quiet and suspenseful scene, a gun fight broke out next door, which completely destroyed the build-up of the scene. :D It was the opening night of a newly renovated indie cinema, too. Embarrassing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Why must people use silly phrases like "munch on" and "slurping their"? It really grates.

Why can't people eat and/or drink in the cinema. You say "can't people go for a couple of hours without eating".....well, do you on an average day? Do you not eat or drink when you watch a film for two/three hours at home?

At home I sometimes pause the movie and give my partner a quick blow job but I would never consider doing this in a cinema... well, I did it once but I didn't slurp ... or munch.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you can't really complain about kids' behaviour if you're in a kids' film.

The Woman in Black is hardly a kids' film. They just underrated it (imo) to gain a larger audience.

Also, the kids being referred to are around the teen age, they shouldn't be acting up in the cinema. It's not like they're little toddlers who didn't know any better.

I rarely go to the cinema anyway and I usually have a good experience when I go. This was a rare occurrence and, as I said, they were removed eventually. In my case, they weren't really even watching the film, so it's only their own money wasted. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ria Vega wrote: »
    At home I sometimes pause the movie and give my partner a quick blow job but I would never consider doing this in a cinema... well, I did it once but I didn't slurp ... or munch.

Well, to be fair, pausing the film in a cinema would be kinda ridiculous!
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy next to me when I went to see Prometheus was a complete ****. He went to the toilet 3 times (making everyone n the row have to stand up 6 times), loudly munched his way through a bag of popcorn, checked his mobile phone several times, chatted to his girlfriend, and took his shirt off an sat through the last half off the film topless. Who the hell does that in a cinema?
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Woman in Black is hardly a kids' film. They just underrated it (imo) to gain a larger audience.

Also, the kids being referred to are around the teen age, they shouldn't be acting up in the cinema. It's not like they're little toddlers who didn't know any better.

This!!

I should take my wand next time and silencio their ass lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    rionia wrote: »
    Watching 'Pulp Fiction' years ago in Reading, and hearing the music from 'The Lion King' coming through the walls from the screen next door!

"Can You Feel the Love Tonight" coming on during the gimp scene would have been amusing though :p

I've had a couple of bad experiences, one of them was when I was watching Hancock a few years ago and a bunch of 13/14 year olds where being obnoxious and loud all the way through the film, the final straw came when they started putting their hands in the way of he projection to create shadow puppets, I turned around and verbally tore into them, I've never seen a bunch of kids go so deathly silent. I got a round of applause from the rest of the audience :) And the other bad experience was earlier this year when I saw Flight and ended up being sat next to a guy who literally ate popcorn for the entire running time of the film, constantly moving his hand up and down and rustling the bag, In my head I was fantasising about grabbing the bag and throwing it...everytime I thought he'd finished his gorging he just grabbed another bag from under his chair! I'm not opposed to people eating/drinking in a cinema, but that guy just took the piss.

It has to be said though that these experiences are extremely rare, at least for me, the people who say they never go to the cinema because of other people's behaviour are overreacting I think. I go to the cinema twice a week and have done for the last 10 years or so now, and I've only had 2 or 3 bad experiences, so it's hardly the norm.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the Multiplex cinema in Cabot Circus, Bristol not long ago, and it smelt so horrible while queuing for a ticket that I did not go in.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    I went to see The Heat a few months ago with a friend who had the unfortunate chance of sitting next to a ''clapper''. People laughed after the funny dialogue or moments - but this girl went one further and clapped once or twice during random points throughout all of this. It was really distracting. It didn't bother me but I found it funny because I knew my friend was getting wound up by it.
  • WishesWishes Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I went to see The Heat a few months ago with a friend who had the unfortunate chance of sitting next to a ''clapper''. People laughed after the funny dialogue or moments - but this girl went one further and clapped once or twice during random points throughout all of this. It was really distracting. It didn't bother me but I found it funny because I knew my friend was getting wound up by it.
    When I lived in France this was common. The French film audiences get very caught up in the story and will cheer and clamp. Unfortunately it took me a few films here in the UK before I dropped the habit:o.
    In Luton we still have laser pen users. And kids that run round the cinema as none of the 17year olds employed at the cinema will stop them.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    They can, but it really grates me. Thankfully I can go to the cinema on a weekday morning, so I don't have to listen to people eating or drinking and watch a film in peace.

And yes I can quite easily go through an average day without the need to eat for a few hours, even watching a film at home, you know it isn't really one of life's challenges.

Agreed.

I always go to the cinema in the morning, or no later than 3pm during the week & not in school holidays.

It's bliss being able to watch a film with virtually nobody else in the auditorium, although I still had a problem once whilst watching Man Of Steel in the morning a few months ago & some idiot of a man decides to bring his daughter (must have been about 3 - 4 years old), whom like children do, became bored & starting either crying or running around the otherwise empty cinema.

I could quite happily have erased that man from existence..:mad:
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.

I always go to the cinema in the morning, or no later than 3pm during the week & not in school holidays.

It's bliss being able to watch a film with virtually nobody else in the auditorium, although I still had a problem once whilst watching Man Of Steel in the morning a few months ago & some idiot of a man decides to bring his daughter (must have been about 3 - 4 years old), whom like children do, became bored & starting either crying or running around the otherwise empty cinema.

I could quite happily have erased that man from existence..:mad:

Mainly why I don't take my kids, if I can help it...I want to watch a film in peace as much as anybody else. Only taken my 6 year old once, when she was 4. The little so & so, got us kicked out, by running up and down, she would not sit still..I thought Tangled would have been her kind of film.
  • bohoboybohoboy Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mainly why I don't take my kids, if I can help it...I want to watch a film in peace as much as anybody else. Only taken my 6 year old once, when she was 4. The little so & so, got us kicked out, by running up and down, she would not sit still..I thought Tangled would have been her kind of film.

Don't blame her, why would you let your child run around in the first place? If your child can't concentrate then leave.
  • MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    My worst experience in a cinema happened when I went to see the film "Carry On Columbus" and and the film continued uninterrupted. I still cannot believe I paid to watch that film
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    You make it sound like everyone who buys food and drinks from the cinema does this. This is not true. Don't get me wrong, it is slightly annoying if someone is moving a bag of sweets around but can't say i've ever heard someone "slurp" their drink when in the cinema.

Peope can go without eating or drinking but it is nice to have a drink and or something to nibble on while watching a movie, it's just what happenes. Deal with it.
    Also, cinema tickets would be a lot more expensive if no one bought the drinks/snacks.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I`m kind of hoping that this is a joke...but I don`t think it is. Really, it wasn`t your 4 year old`s fault.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    I`m kind of hoping that this is a joke...but I don`t think it is. Really, it wasn`t your 4 year old`s fault.

And what did you think happened to her? I actually thought it was quite funny myself..never been kicked out of anywhere. Though the cinema did say if it had been on a Saturday morning showing it would have been okay, and we wouldn't have been asked to leave.

So no I didn't blame her, I took her for a Mcdonalds (and hopefully not getting kicked out of there as well), while her mum and my other daughter watched the rest of the film.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone behind me at Spiderman who had already seen it and told her friends loudly what happened at the end before the film even began.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    People munching on their popcorn & slurping their drinks...can't people go for a couple of hours without eating, I'm their to watch a film not experience a dining room.

All part of the cinema experience though. Unfortunately, the likes of you and I are in the minority as I cant stand the smell of popcorn or hot dogs in an enclosed space.
  • Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I go to the cinema I go for the whole experience and that includes a big bag of popcorn and a drink to wash it down.

I often wait for the queue to start going in before getting snacks, as there's always at least a 15-20 minute advert break at the start where they wait for people to arrive, and with the movies often 2 hours or more with no half way interval anymore it's one way of trying to avoid numb-bum.

Maybe I should get bigger popcorn and drinks to put more flab on my skinny ass so I don't get numb-bum as easily. :D
  • SucmedicSucmedic Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sitting next to a bunch of young lads shaking their legs so the row of seats wobble and vibrate for three hours!