Bad experiences at the cinema?

124»

Comments

• cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I went to see Elf years ago with some friends, I'm not even exaggerating, half the people in the cinema were young chavs and all shouting, arguing and making noise. At one point a fight broke out and popcorn was flying about the place. I think I was one of the few people sat in there actually watching the film quietly. Someone came in and started asking them all to shut up or leave. I couldn't believe it. I never went to that cinema again.

When I went to see Paranormal Activity people kept whispering, screaming, eating noisily and giggling. I watched 2, 3 and 4 on my own - much better than being distracted throughout the film.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My cinema-going days ended when cinemas decided to raise the volume to jet-engine levels

Not all cinemas do this.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching a late night screening in Staples Corner cinema in 1992.................when an IRA bomb blast happened just down the road. The electrics blew, the screen went off leaving everyone in pitch black and the ceiling started falling in on us. It was blind panic, people screaming, very scary.
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got dragged to an all nighter horror film marathon at some small cinema many years ago by an ex girlfriend.
    Now I hate horror films, I just can't watch them but I was young and she was really rather lovely. I spent hours frightened out of my wits and just when I thought it couldn't get any worse the cinemas cat jumped over my shoulder and on to my right leg. I screamed out loud and jumped out of my seat, the look on my then girlfriends face told me that there probably wasn't any future in that particular relationship.
    I've never been brave enough to go back in a small art house type cinema since.
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really bad at the cinema. As soon as I sit down I become 1000% more intolerant of other people.

If you've ever taken your phone out at the cinema then I wish you all the misery and misfortune in the world for the rest of your life. Also, if you bring your kids to the film and you can't keep them quiet then I hate you. When I went to see Man of Steel there was a little boy who, when Superman wasn't being Superman, would get out of his seat and run up and down the aisle pretending to be Superman. His dad made no effort to stop this from happening.
  • teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a cinema manager while I was at Uni so for me to experience a bad cinema experience is extremely frustrating as I don't have the power to do much other than complain.

I am used to going to Curzon cinemas for independent/art films and Cineworld (through Unlimited) and I never ever surprisingly have any issue with Cineworld audiences. They're well behaved, quiet and sat watching the film.

Odeon and VUE for whatever reason seem to house the noisiest and rudest customers, and this is coming from someone who has worked at VUE. It seems everytime I go to one of the cinemas to see a film there seems to be some issue from someone sitting in my seat, being on there phone or constantly chatting/laughing loudly.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In all my years of going to the cinema, I'd never once had a film snap on me-until recently, that is. I went to see Despicable Me 2 at the Empire Cinema in Newcastle, and, about three-quarters of the way through, the film went off, and lights came back up. Turned out that the workmen working on the entrance renovation as you come in had knocked a switch which triggered the emergency alarm. All the films in a modern multiplex run on a computerised loop, you see. Anyway, the film finally came back on where it stopped after about 15 minutes or so! I also was at a film there recently where there was no picture on the screen during the adverts for about ten minutes after the curtains opened! Someone had to go and inform a member of staff I think to get the projector up and running properly again!

Also, when I went to see Little Fockers a few years back after Christmas, someone was throwing popcorn in my direction! Wonder if they knew me? Also, when I went to see Three Men And A Little Lady when I was a kid, some teenage girls sitting next to me kept telling me to shutup when I was talking to my mum, even though we were whispering to each other, or at least talking fairly quietly here and there about what was happening in the film-bear in mind I was only seven years old at the time. Eventually, the girl sitting next to me clipped my ear with a bus ticket, so I swapped seats with my mum to get away from her. I asked my mum how it was going soon after, and she reported the same thing. We couldn't move as the cinema was full, I think it was. Bitches!

As for disabled people at movies, I agree they can be noisy sometimes, even if it sounds selfish and nasty to say so. When I went to see We Bought A Zoo last year, I had such a lady sitting just further along from me, constantly, loudly commenting on everything that was happening! I know she couldn't help it, but by God, it didn't half get annoying after a while!
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a cinema manager while I was at Uni so for me to experience a bad cinema experience is extremely frustrating as I don't have the power to do much other than complain.

I am used to going to Curzon cinemas for independent/art films and Cineworld (through Unlimited) and I never ever surprisingly have any issue with Cineworld audiences. They're well behaved, quiet and sat watching the film.

Odeon and VUE for whatever reason seem to house the noisiest and rudest customers, and this is coming from someone who has worked at VUE. It seems everytime I go to one of the cinemas to see a film there seems to be some issue from someone sitting in my seat, being on there phone or constantly chatting/laughing loudly.

I agree with what you say about Vue.

I don't know if they have a no confrontation policy, but they just don't seem to reinforce rules in my experience.

My bad experience detailed earlier was at a Vue & my other tale of woe was also at Vue again when I went to watch Paul, which was a '15' had a load of parents with their children who were quite obviously under 15, but were still sold tickets & allowed to go in.:confused:
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reply to comments about Vue, for me the choice is - in order of convenience - Vue, Odeon, independents, Cineworld. I gave up on the Cineworld when I went to see Hot Fuzz and found whole rows of seats with "do not use" signs on, presumably because they were unsafe. The Odeon is very pleasant and has excellent picture and sound, but sells out at the drop of a hat so no good for spur-of-the-moment filmgoing. Independents are great but usually only have one film a week so there's less choice.

So, Vue: horrible atmosphere, always long queues and the ticket machines don't always work properly. The sound is ludicrously loud, way above the "sweet spot" where the volume is comfortable and you aren't distracted by noises from the audience or other screens. The picture is often mediocre, with motion blur if you sit in the wrong seats.

The audience can be good or bad. I've had a row of teens in front of me, chatting noisily until the film starts and then sitting in silence. I've also had a group of twentysomethings spend the whole film updating Facebook. And a couple of blokes settle down to eat what smelled like a delicious takaway - Thai, I think.

So yes, Vue has the least visible staff presence. Except when they burst into the cinema during a quiet moment, stand and watch the audience for a minute, then slam the door on their way out.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Watching a late night screening in Staples Corner cinema in 1992.................when an IRA bomb blast happened just down the road. The electrics blew, the screen went off leaving everyone in pitch black and the ceiling started falling in on us. It was blind panic, people screaming, very scary.

You win the internet. Well done.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    I think we have a winner. :o
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    td1983 wrote: »
    In all my years of going to the cinema, I'd never once had a film snap on me-until recently, that is. I went to see Despicable Me 2 at the Empire Cinema in Newcastle, and, about three-quarters of the way through, the film went off, and lights came back up. Turned out that the workmen working on the entrance renovation as you come in had knocked a switch which triggered the emergency alarm. All the films in a modern multiplex run on a computerised loop, you see. Anyway, the film finally came back on where it stopped after about 15 minutes or so! I also was at a film there recently where there was no picture on the screen during the adverts for about ten minutes after the curtains opened! Someone had to go and inform a member of staff I think to get the projector up and running properly again!

Also, when I went to see Little Fockers a few years back after Christmas, someone was throwing popcorn in my direction! Wonder if they knew me? Also, when I went to see Three Men And A Little Lady when I was a kid, some teenage girls sitting next to me kept telling me to shutup when I was talking to my mum, even though we were whispering to each other, or at least talking fairly quietly here and there about what was happening in the film-bear in mind I was only seven years old at the time. Eventually, the girl sitting next to me clipped my ear with a bus ticket, so I swapped seats with my mum to get away from her. I asked my mum how it was going soon after, and she reported the same thing. We couldn't move as the cinema was full, I think it was. Bitches!

As for disabled people at movies, I agree they can be noisy sometimes, even if it sounds selfish and nasty to say so. When I went to see We Bought A Zoo last year, I had such a lady sitting just further along from me, constantly, loudly commenting on everything that was happening! I know she couldn't help it, but by God, it didn't half get annoying after a while!
    Last point yeah it does sound it to be fair sorry.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    td1983 wrote: »

Disabled folk are like anyone else, they dont want special treatment so why is it selfish or nasty to get annoyed at something they do that IS annoying? why are they excused from possessing the same potential for being illmannered or inconsiderate as the rest of us?

That said, my pet hate is the stream of people - always couples - who come in after the film has started and the lights are out. They walk a few steps up the aisle and then stand discussing where to sit, turning this way and that, whispering and deciding. As I always sit on the aisle seat they block my view of the screen and I feel like shouting 'look there's two seats over there now sit in them you morons!!!'.
    And I always, always will them with all my strength away from my row...:D
    People who are late should sit in the front :mad:.

A very close second are people who cannot go two hours without checking their bloody mobile for messages and the glow from the screen creates a blast of light....when I saw The Kings Speech a woman sat 2 rows in front and to the right kept checking her phone every few minutes and even played a game on it a one point - all muted but the light from it drove me mad. People who do that deserved to be sneezed on very hard and very messily....:cool:
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always considered the cinema to be a public place in which other people are bound to interrupt your viewing to some extent. I don't see the point in being upset that someone is eating when cinemas need food sales to survive; and I don't really care if people want to check their phone quickly or say a couple of things to a friend as long as they are being reasonable.

Maybe there should be dedicated screenings for people that want to be 100% concentrated on the film but otherwise I say c'est la vie.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all cinemas do this.

I recall seeing Saving Pte Ryan on its first release and needing to put my hands over my ears because the opening sequence was so uncomfortably loud and it went on for almost half an hour.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main reason I only go to the cinema a few times a year (besides the crazy prices) - if that - is because of the behaviour of other patrons and spineless ushers who won't ever do anything about it no matter how badly people are acting.

It's awful how we've let the lunatics take over the asylum, but that's what's happened and it will only get worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always considered the cinema to be a public place in which other people are bound to interrupt your viewing to some extent. I don't see the point in being upset that someone is eating when cinemas need food sales to survive; and I don't really care if people want to check their phone quickly or say a couple of things to a friend as long as they are being reasonable.

Maybe there should be dedicated screenings for people that want to be 100% concentrated on the film but otherwise I say c'est la vie.

Nah... if you've paid for a ticket, and nowadays that means anything from £12-15 upwards, you should be able to watch the film without having to put up with other people messing about. Basic good manners isn't something that needs special screenings. Maybe there should be special screenings for rude people to sit and chat through.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disabled folk are like anyone else, they dont want special treatment so why is it selfish or nasty to get annoyed at something they do that IS annoying? why are they excused from possessing the same potential for being illmannered or inconsiderate as the rest of us? :

You just have to be careful in today's politically correct climate as to who you direct criticism at-that's all. Plus, it does seem a little bit insensitive to say it, that is my personal opinion. The woman I descibed kept on clapping her hands regularly as well, her carer was telling her to be quiet, but she wouldn't listen, it was not for the want of trying, you know!

That said, I agree with you.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the screening of Merrily We Roll Along last week, I had a could sitting behind me making out non-stop. Thing is, the man was practically eating the lady's face. You could hear him slurping over her non-stop, and then panting because he forgot to breath... seriously..
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few months back we went to see a Monday afternoon showing of This Is The End near the end of its run.

Got there for the start of the adverts and trailers,sat in the back row and realised we were the only ones in the cinema.

Great we can enjoy the film in peace.

Then as the Kevin Bacon advert was coming to an end,the doors swung open and a guy in a wheelchair and his carer came in!

After much commotion the carer put the guy in the seat next but one to us! In an empty cinema!!

The guy,who obvious suffered from mental problems,proceeded to bark and grunt and eat a six pack of crisps noisily.Then the carers mobile went off and he answered it and started telling someone where they were!

Not wanting to seem un-PC and uncaring,after all it wasn't the poor man's fault and he seemed to be enjoying himself we didn't move but I cant remember anything of the film due to the number of distractions.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    A few months back we went to see a Monday afternoon showing of This Is The End near the end of its run.

Got there for the start of the adverts and trailers,sat in the back row and realised we were the only ones in the cinema.

Great we can enjoy the film in peace.

Then as the Kevin Bacon advert was coming to an end,the doors swung open and a guy in a wheelchair and his carer came in!

After much commotion the carer put the guy in the seat next but one to us! In an empty cinema!!

The guy,who obvious suffered from mental problems,proceeded to bark and grunt and eat a six pack of crisps noisily.Then the carers mobile went off and he answered it and started telling someone where they were!

Not wanting to seem un-PC and uncaring,after all it wasn't the poor man's fault and he seemed to be enjoying himself we didn't move but I cant remember anything of the film due to the number of distractions.

As someone with mental health problems myself (though nowhere near that level) I would be as appalled as you. An empty cinema yet they go out of their way to inconvience the one person there? Ludicrous...and mobiles should be banned full stop from cinemas, not just people talking but people who play with their phones cause me enough grief. The lights are more of a distraction than these selfish t*ssers think, no matter how far away from me they are sat.
  • satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My worst and satisfying experience was about 10 years ago me and a mate watched a movie (forgot what it was) and kept being kicked from behind so after about 10 times I got up and smacked him a couple of time resulting in the kicking stopping !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I'm not too keen on is when you go to take your allocated seat, and the person behind has his (it's usually a man) feet up on your seat back. It's particularly offputting when he has his bare feet up on your seat back and you have to put your head where his naked feet have just been.