winter hill com 7

2»

Comments

• JefUKJefUK Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I have not seen any of the glitches since Christmas. Last night I carefully checked a couple of recent BBC4 recordings and they were clear of any problems.

Fingers crossed...........
  • BearboydaveBearboydave Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Of course, silly me mixing my Beebs up
  • RonaldwayRonaldway Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    pilgrim42 wrote: »
    Signal strength isn't an issue as they are all good (broadly similar to those quoted) and never vary. Com7 reception is also extremely good except for the dropouts.
    I'm beginning to wonder if there's some sort of beam effect making the fault directional. I don't know if that's even possible. If I saw this problem on other muxes then the finger would point at my aerial system, but that.'s been checked out, and all flyleads replaced with no difference at all. If it's some local pulse interference then it's frequency-specific and doesn't just interfere but totally destroys the signal momentarily. And since this is still the same issue that Arquiva admitted existed i believe they haven't got it completely right yet.
    Mike

I live in north Blackpool and have four tvs with Freeview HD fed from two tv aerials that are each split three ways. All tvs have 90+% signal strength and 100% quality on Com 7. I was aware of the dropouts but have not observed any since the fault was rectified.
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on Mendip and it seems that BBC4 HD drops out completely on weekends.

All the episodes of Spiral have failed, so I record them in SD as well, which is annoying.
  • pilgrim42pilgrim42 Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Ronaldway wrote: »
    I live in north Blackpool and have four tvs with Freeview HD fed from two tv aerials that are each split three ways. All tvs have 90+% signal strength and 100% quality on Com 7. I was aware of the dropouts but have not observed any since the fault was rectified.

I can't explain it, but since having glitching problems last Saturday, I have done several test recordings, and, for the first time in months, they are all clear of problems. So it looks like Arquiva have fixed it, and I am indeed experiencing some local interference.
    Sod's law, or voodoo: take your pick.
    Mike.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched Spiral from BBC4 HD last saturday all was well.
  • PrestonianPrestonian Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Are there any plans to boost the power from COM7 at Winter Hill ? I ask because, although I am less than 15 miles from WH and with a clear line of sight, my HD PVR is increasingly failing to pick up a signal for BBC 4 HD, BBC News HD etc.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No as they are only temporary muxes ....
    Ending roughly in 2019....
    But then you ought to get BBC four HD in full strength
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prestonian wrote: »
    Are there any plans to boost the power from COM7 at Winter Hill ? I ask because, although I am less than 15 miles from WH and with a clear line of sight, my HD PVR is increasingly failing to pick up a signal for BBC 4 HD, BBC News HD etc.

There are no plans that I'm aware of to either increase the power of COM7 at any site, or expand it beyond the present 30 sites.

What aerial are you using, a legacy Group C/D or a Wideband ? COM 7 is way out of band
    for a Group C/D, which until COM 7 came along was the existing analogue and DTT aerial group that Winter Hill used.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member

Look up null fill !

Clear line of site if it is not a null fill issue ,should provide you with a margin of at least 10 times .
    It is normall in planning to provide a margin of 9-10dB and sometimes more to overcome vegetation and building attenuation.
    Plus standard planning criteria provides for rooftop antennas with 10db or so of gain with
    2 or 3dB of coax loss 10-15m ,.
    The reality is many rooftop antennas have 15dB of gain ,so at your location it should be coming out of your antenna in a blue haze .
    It could just need an attenuator ?
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm 18 miles to the south in Altrincham, also line of sight, with a large loft aerial and no problems. At 24kW it's about 6db down on the main services but as Mark says it is out of band for a group C/D aerial. You don't say what type of PVR you are using but if it is a Humax Fox T2 on the signal detection page of the menu I get most services with a signal level of about 75, com 7 is about 68 all at 100% quality. If there is a larger discrepancy between com 7 and the other services you may well have an older group C/D aerial. The best solution in that case would be to have it replaced with a wide band one. This winter has been quite wet recently so water in the system could be another possibility as could the recent gales moving the aerial out of alignment. I assume you have done the usual checks for loose connections etc.
    Forum Member
    As ever, many thanks for the speedy and informative responses on here - it's certainly an education!
    My aerial(external) was last replaced 6 years ago so I think it must be a group C/D one. The PVR is a Vestel and all non-Com7 strengths are excellent.
    I think it must be down to the aerial type, although a remaining puzzle in my mind is that the built in Freeview on my 2 year old Samsung TV does pick up Com 7 signals!
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As ever, many thanks for the speedy and informative responses on here - it's certainly an education!
    My aerial(external) was last replaced 6 years ago so I think it must be a group C/D one. The PVR is a Vestel and all non-Com7 strengths are excellent.
    I think it must be down to the aerial type, although a remaining puzzle in my mind is that the built in Freeview on my 2 year old Samsung TV does pick up Com 7 signals!

It's probably not as 'deaf' as the Vestel PVR. However what model PVR is it ? There are some that bizarrely can only store one DVB-T2 mux ! ?
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    It's probably not as 'deaf' as the Vestel PVR. However what model PVR is it ? There are some that bizarrely can only store one DVB-T2 mux ! ?
    Thanks, it's a T7650.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »

There's a firmware update for that: http://www.vestelpvr.futaura.co.uk/news.php?id=1396547227
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »

Thanks but not appropriate for the T7650.