Is anyne using an iphone 4. ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not 4S, but the 4. The reason i ask is i'm thinking of getting one, even though its an "older" model. I only use a phone for calls, texts, internet browsing,checking emails and calendar. I don't watch films or play games. Don't download apps.

Is it still up to the job?

Mypresent phone is a Blackberry Pearl, but i'd like a larger screen.

Comments

• Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still up to the job for all those things that you require. I still own one but it no longer has a SIM card, so effectively it's now an iPod touch with GPS, but still works fine on wifi and would work fine on 3G if I put the sim back in.

Unless its a real bargain, you can probably get entry level Android phones cheaper than even a nearly three year old iPhone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had an iphone, and after Nokia and Blackberry i'd like to try one.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It still seems to be good enough for my mum. She took out a new contract on December for the s3, yet she is still using her iPhone 4 now and hasn't got round to cancelling her contract with 3 lol The s3 is at the moment a very expensive paperweight. Anyhow I think it's a decent phone still and it would be a good intro to a smartphone/iPhone for you. If you only want to send emails, surf the net and makes calls then I don't see the need to have the latest and greatest phone out there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Going for an older phone if often a good way to get a high quality phone for a cheap price.

Don't know how much you are paying for an iPhone 4 but have you considered a Nokia Lumia 800 running Windows Phone 7.8? That's a good quality phone as well and has a slightly larger screen from the iPhone 4.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you dont want to download latest apps or want the any OS from the last 2 years it will be fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as you dont want to download latest apps or want the any OS from the last 2 years it will be fine.

Are they very many apps that don't run on the iPhone 4 though? Apps are usually iOS version dependent, and the iPhone 4 can run iOS 6. Obviously they might be a bit slow though.

EDIT: I just had a quick look at the current Top 20 apps, and the first 20 results in the New and Noteworthy section. They're all compatible with the iPhone 4.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will run all apps fine, just the newer 3D games won't run smoothly, by he doesn't want it for that anyway.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

iPhone 4 is still supported (for now) It'll only be next year when support starts to dwindle in the way you've mentioned above. So the iPhone 4 isn't out of date just yet.

But for the price you can buy an android phone or windows phone thats about 3x better. Especially if you're getting it on contract. It'll work out cheaper and you can do the same things on these phones that you can do on an iPhone. For some reason people still think iPhones are magical but actually android and windows can do the same if not more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they very many apps that don't run on the iPhone 4 though? Apps are usually iOS version dependent, and the iPhone 4 can run iOS 6. Obviously they might be a bit slow though.

EDIT: I just had a quick look at the current Top 20 apps, and the first 20 results in the New and Noteworthy section. They're all compatible with the iPhone 4.

I mean more in the future. The OP isn't buying for todays apps (they dont want apps anyway), but for tomorrows. Apple forces devs to update to the latest XCode which doesn't support older iOS' which dont support older devices. iPhone 4 is old now.
    Forum Member
    I mean more in the future. The OP isn't buying for todays apps (they dont want apps anyway), but for tomorrows. Apple forces devs to update to the latest XCode which doesn't support older iOS' which dont support older devices. iPhone 4 is old now.

I actually read the OP's first post properly and the guy doesn't even want apps or smartphone features.

No point buying an iPhone then. You can pick up a good smartphone that'll do what you want for under £130. Stick in an ovivo sim or a £7pm sim only and your sorted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    I actually read the OP's first post properly and the guy doesn't even want apps or smartphone features.

So did i. Hence my bit in brackets. "they dont want apps anyway".
    Forum Member
    So did i. Hence my bit in brackets. "they dont want apps anyway".

oops, that came out wrong :p

What i meant was i just read it myself properly and agree with what you're saying about the apps. :)

It's late, feels like i've been up for an extra hour :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, I get you. The iPhone 4 will be three years old come June.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops, that came out wrong :p

What i meant was i just read it myself properly and agree with what you're saying about the apps. :)

It's late, feels like i've been up for an extra hour :D

Hang on, i know its BST, but has the clock change on my PC without telling me? :eek:
    Forum Member
    Hang on, i know its BST, but has the clock change on my PC without telling me? :eek:

Yeh my PC did that. I swore it was 12:55 when i last looked and when i looked again it was 02:03....
  • frappyfrappy Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I got my iphone 4 of "The Deal Channel" and it is a cracking phone albeit refurbished. Looks like and feels like brand new.:)
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if you're after a phone with that sort of build quality (some people might want the iphone for that reason and making calls) then a £130 android phone doesn't come close. Even an S3 isn't in the same league when it comes to build quality, ie heavy, metal/glass etc.
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have my iphone4 and love it. I thought at first I would not use all of its features, but I certainly do now. I have never found an app that was not suitable for 4.

You must make sure you keep everything up to date. Always back up your phone first on itunes. Then update itunes updates first followed by the iphone updates. Always update the apps too when prompted.

Warning....itunes is ghastly, really hard to get used to. I found the help menu was of very little help. The best way of solving itune problems is to enlist googles help. You will always find someone who writes in an understandable way how to solve your problem.
    Forum Member
    But if you're after a phone with that sort of build quality (some people might want the iphone for that reason and making calls) then a £130 android phone doesn't come close. Even an S3 isn't in the same league when it comes to build quality, ie heavy, metal/glass etc.

Buy a cheap nokia asha, buy a cheap android, buy an iPhone4. Chuck em against a wall a couple of times and you tell me which one has glass shattered everywhere and dents.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a cheap nokia asha, buy a cheap android, buy an iPhone4. Chuck em against a wall a couple of times and you tell me which one has glass shattered everywhere and dents.

How cheap should he go? You can get an Android handset for as little as £27.99 brandnew,
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    How cheap should he go? You can get an Android handset for as little as £27.99 brandnew,

True, but you can get smartphones with the same size screen as an iPhone 4/5 for well under what apple charge and they do the same thing. If not better if you look at some phones. All i'm saying (and this is coming off the back of other threads the OP has made) that there is no point paying £17pm and £250 upfront if the OP only uses 60 minutes a month and less than 100mb data.

So why pay for an expensive smartphone with all the bells and whistles if you're not going to use it for it's purpose (iPhone 4s). You can get cheaper phones without the high tech cameras or gaming processors etc... that save on cost. Look at the Galaxy Ace 2 or Nokia Lumia 620 for example which can be had for £130 or the Galaxy S3 mini/Nexus 4. These are much better phones than the iPhone 4 and easy to use. Especially the windows phones.

And then rather than paying £17pm on a contract for stuff he doesn't need it would make sense to pay nothing with ovivo every month for 150 mins, 150 texts and 400mb data and he can top up credit when he needs too.

Unless it's a business customer i see no reason why Ovivo won't work. If the OP started his previous thread saying that he uses over 500 mins per month, uses a lot of data, downloads apps/games/music etc... then i'd recommend an iPhone 5. I suspect the OP is just seeing the iPhone as a luxury brand as per his previous posts and so thats why he wants one when it doesn't suit his situation at all. But he's chosen to ignore me so thats fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not ignoring you, just taking it all in. Thanks.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably the iphone as the others aren't made with metal and glass but the OP hasn't said he wants a phone that he can chuck at a wall!

I can see why someone might want an iphone and just use it for texting and phone calls, just like I can see why they might buy a macbook pro for emailing and internet when cheaper alternatives are out there.

Not everyone wants a cheap product.
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

More half truths and unsubstantiated nonsense, the iPhone 4 supports all the top apps. I don't know any that won't run on the iPhone 4 Infact.