Is there any FREE uk smart DNS?

davordavor Posts: 6,874
Forum Member
I was wondering if there is some free UK smart DNS service to use with my TV?

Comments

• oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not try google first.

The simple answer is yes.(almost certainly). I found about 4 (claiming free smart dns) in less than 60 seconds! However, bear in mind the term free often only means the download of the software is free (big deal) but you still have to pay to use it, or (better) there is a free trial. So you need to check carefully,.

Also bear in mind, free systems are often virus infested, or malware/spyware infested. or what I call crapware (not malicious as such but does irritating thinks like changing your default search engine from google say to another lesser known/inferior engine.

As to whether any free uk smart DNS apps are any good or not is a different question.

Taking the oldest adage in the world "you only get what you pay for".

Firms like overplay and vpnuk have a big infrastructure (many high speed servers) and are very reliable, and are still quite cheap (overplay smart dns approx c. £3.33 per month - no long term contract.

Any free ones are much more likely to be unreliable (unavailable) or overused (timeouts) You won't get a 24/7 helpline etc.

Of course, you can be lucky and hit a gem, and if you do we would be glad of any feedback so we can give a more positive answer to similar requests.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I think you misunderstood what I want. I don't need a software-based VPN like HideVPN or Hotspotshield. I need a smart DNS like SmartyDNS or Overplay. Smart DNS doesn't require any software to be downloaded. They just give you an IP address of their servers and that's all. Are there any services like that that are free to use? Of course I've tried google before I posted this thread.

P.S: We all say Google, or Google it, but I actually use Duckduckgo search engine.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood what I want

. I need a smart DNS like SmartyDNS or Overplay. Smart DNS doesn't require any software to be downloaded.

The person who responded mentioned Overplay.

QUOTE=davor;72101318]

P.S: We all say Google, or Google it, but I actually use Duckduckgo search engine.[/QUOTE]

You can hoover with a Dyson :D
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you misunderstood what I want. I don't need a software-based VPN like HideVPN or Hotspotshield. I need a smart DNS like SmartyDNS or Overplay. Smart DNS doesn't require any software to be downloaded. They just give you an IP address of their servers and that's all. Are there any services like that that are free to use? Of course I've tried google before I posted this thread.

P.S: We all say Google, or Google it, but I actually use Duckduckgo search engine.

What do you actually want to achieve?
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    What do you actually want to achieve?

I want to be able to watch catch up tv apps on my tv and that is only possible if I use a UK based smart DNS. I have found a few, but they are paid services. As I dont have a credit card, I was wondering if there are some free (ad supported) uk smart dns.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to be able to watch catch up tv apps on my tv and that is only possible if I use a UK based smart DNS. I have found a few, but they are paid services. As I dont have a credit card, I was wondering if there are some free (ad supported) uk smart dns.

If your issue is just a lack of credit card, then a paypal account linked to a debit card or bank account may be a suitable option for your needs.

Even if you do not have a bank account and live as a "cash only" person, you can buy pre-paid debit cards (you would have to search web).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I was wondering if there is some free UK smart DNS service to use with my TV?
    No there isn't any free Smart DNS services for UK TV access at the moment. Not that I can find anyway and I have been looking for days!

I hope this comment helps. At least you got a straight answer from me.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've not purchased any of the services myself buy I believe these services do offer a client so that DNS settings can be changed on an application by application or DNS lookup basis rather then changing DNS values system wide so all DNS requests go to their DNS servers.

As for 'free' DNS server, there are a plenty of IP addresses posted online if you want to change your system setting, however be aware that many of them either redirect your ad sites or worse to phishing sites.