Goodbye Sky Broadband, Hello BT Infinity...

124»

Comments

• simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is 300GB a lot of useage

I have received an e mail for the first month useage of 17GB against a monthly allowance of 10GB at a second / weekend location

I usually go through 700-800GB a week but most of it is work related downloads/uploads.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    simon194 wrote: »
    I usually go through 700-800GB a week but most of it is work related downloads/uploads.

See I knew there was someone who used more bandwidth than me :)

I think BT are going to find, as the Infinity roll out continues, that the number of actual users who reside in their so called top 1% of users, will only increase.

I don't consider 300GB or even 500GB in a month unreasonable or unfair use for a 40Mbps fibre connection. BT say I am in their top 1% of users, and deemed a "heavy" user. Ok, fair enough, but I thin BT are going to find that 75% of their BT Infinity users will probably end up in that top 1%.

So in time, BT are going to have to relax their policy, and increase the 300GB threshold on BT Infinity Option 2, maybe up to 800GB or 1Tb. Much more reasonable.

Glenn
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I knew there was someone who used more bandwidth than me :)

I think BT are going to find, as the Infinity roll out continues, that the number of actual users who reside in their so called top 1% of users, will only increase.

I don't consider 300GB or even 500GB in a month unreasonable or unfair use for a 40Mbps fibre connection. BT say I am in their top 1% of users, and deemed a "heavy" user. Ok, fair enough, but I thin BT are going to find that 75% of their BT Infinity users will probably end up in that top 1%.

So in time, BT are going to have to relax their policy, and increase the 300GB threshold on BT Infinity Option 2, maybe up to 800GB or 1Tb. Much more reasonable.

Glenn

When they roll it out in my area I'll take one of the two business packages so the volume won't be an issue. After all £45+VAT pm for the top package is a very reasonable price compared to other companies that provide up to 40Mbps using bonded ADSL2 connections.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Goodbye Sky Broadband, Hello BT Infinity...

Well it's a sad day. I've now left Sky Broadband for BT Infinity. I've been with Sky Broadband now for probably 3 years. They've served me well during that time.

I've been getting 4Mbps, which is about the limit for my line, and even though I signed up for their Mid package (now Everyday), which has a 10GB monthly cap, I've regulary exceeded that averaging around 1500% over quota i.e. 150GB per month.

Thanky you Sky!! :-) Not once have they sent me a warning email, or even upgraded me to the Unlimited package (if they had I'd have asked them to drop me back down to the Everyday package again anyway).

I've been very pleased with the service from Sky Broadband, and will happily go back to them when they are able to offer me a fibre broadband service. I signed up to the Sky Fibre broadband trial, but as of yet they do not seem to be running any trials in my area, and when I telephoned them to query when they would be offering trials in my area, or even a full fibre broadband service (over BT's network), they we're unable to give me an answer...apart from 6 months +

So from Thu 9th Sep I'll be on BT Infinity Option 2 at £24.99 a month, with 40Mbps download / 10Mbps upload, and a 300GB limit before they reduce the speed during peak hours for 30 days. No doubt I'll hit the 300GB limit occasionally, and no matter, as off peak I'll be going full speed ahead.

If Sky get their act together and offer an comparable alternative, then I'll be back.

Glenn

So you weren't prepared to pay £7.50 a month for sky unlimited but now you are going to cough up £24.99 per month!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you weren't prepared to pay £7.50 a month for sky unlimited but now you are going to cough up £24.99 per month!

I think the point is that Glenn wanted a higher download speed than the 4Mbps that he was getting from Sky BB.

I'd love more than the 10Mbps I currently get but at the moment in my area the only option is to go with the likes of Cerberus that provide a bonded ADSL2+ service which would cost me over £100 a month and give me around 18Mbps down and 2.6Mbps up depending on the quality of the two lines.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the point is that Glenn wanted a higher download speed than the 4Mbps that he was getting from Sky BB.

I'd love more than the 10Mbps I currently get but at the moment in my area the only option is to go with the likes of Cerberus that provide a bonded ADSL2+ service which would cost me over £100 a month and give me around 18Mbps down and 2.6Mbps up depending on the quality of the two lines.

It all sounds nice, all this high speed, but I wonder how many people really need it?
    i get about and it does everything I want, I can watch you tube, BBC Iplayer, download stuff, ok so it takes a bit longer than it would if I was getting say 40Mbits.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i get about and it does everything I want

Never mind that... what speed is your broadband connection? :p:D
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never mind that... what speed is your broadband connection? :p:D

Sorry, i get about 4Megabits, I am pretty sure I typed that, very strange.
    Forum Member

Yeah I appreciate that - but is it worth an extra £17.49 a month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Yeah I appreciate that - but is it worth an extra £17.49 a month.

Well with Sky I didn't bother to pay for the "unlimited" package, because Sky never chased me for it. It wasn't that I wasn't prepared to pay it :) I was on the everyday package, but averaging 150GB per month, with one month being an exceptional 300GB.. If Sky let me get away with paying less, that's was their problem not mine.

As for is 40Mbps with BT Infinity wor the extra £17.49 a month.. I'd say yes, definitely. For me more bandwidth = more usage. Previously downloads that would have taken me 7days or more, not taken hours. For me that means more downloads, as well as the usually streaming on iPlayer, Sky Player, XBox 360 etc.

As for the 300GB threshold, when BT speed restrict you. Well it took me 7 days to reach that, and yes I'm restricted to 2Mbps between 5pm and midnight, but that's only 7 hours a day. The rest of the day its back to 40Mbps, so for me the speed restriction doesn't hurt too much. I can easily see myself reaching 600GB or so a month..

To be honest 300GB is too low a limit for the bandwidth. I saw the other day that in Canada they have launchd 120MBps broadband, with a 100GB cap. Use more and they carge you per GB.. Rip off!!

Even though I think the 300GB limit should be increased. BT is by far and away the best you can get for a fibre broadband deal..

Glenn

Glenn
    Forum Member
    Well with Sky I didn't bother to pay for the "unlimited" package, because Sky never chased me for it. It wasn't that I wasn't prepared to pay it :) I was on the everyday package, but averaging 150GB per month, with one month being an exceptional 300GB.. If Sky let me get away with paying less, that's was their problem not mine.

As for is 40Mbps with BT Infinity wor the extra £17.49 a month.. I'd say yes, definitely. For me more bandwidth = more usage. Previously downloads that would have taken me 7days or more, not taken hours. For me that means more downloads, as well as the usually streaming on iPlayer, Sky Player, XBox 360 etc.

As for the 300GB threshold, when BT speed restrict you. Well it took me 7 days to reach that, and yes I'm restricted to 2Mbps between 5pm and midnight, but that's only 7 hours a day. The rest of the day its back to 40Mbps, so for me the speed restriction doesn't hurt too much. I can easily see myself reaching 600GB or so a month..

To be honest 300GB is too low a limit for the bandwidth. I saw the other day that in Canada they have launchd 120MBps broadband, with a 100GB cap. Use more and they carge you per GB.. Rip off!!

Even though I think the 300GB limit should be increased. BT is by far and away the best you can get for a fibre broadband deal..

Glenn

Glenn

Fair enough, 40 mbps is a great speed but the restriction to 2mpbs for the evenings is a joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Fair enough, 40 mbps is a great speed but the restriction to 2mpbs for the evenings is a joke.

Totally!, if they drop a ADSL connection to 2mb then they should at least double that for fibre, id say a fair speed drop would be 8mb though, and i would say it should be for 7-14 days because there is no way heavy users will affect light users on fibre the same a ADSL connection would.