World Wrestling Entertainment Discussion XXII (Spoilers)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
Administrator
bad1609 wrote: »
Baring in mind the arena is open top and therefore going to lose 99% of the crowd noise as a result, I thought he got a very good reception. If that arena had a roof, they'd have blown it off.

Oh and for someone who just accused the WWE of falling short for years and not liking the matches, your admittance of going live next year says otherwise. Very conflicted post really...
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1624046

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
      Forum Member
      Brock Lesnar. RAW. Tonight. PLEASE!
    • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Happy new thread, all. We made it through Wrestlemania then!
    • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Having Wrestlemania outdoors is a terrible idea, like the other poster said, it affects the sound. The Rock/Cena match didn't have any proper dualling chants beyond the people on ground level, presumably because the sound didn't travel as well so the folks in the nosebleed sections couldn't hear them!
    • decemberboydecemberboy Posts: 3,840
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Watching the HHH v Undertaker match again. In my opinion it's better than last year's. Often a special guest referee distracts from what the match is about but. and I said it last night, Shawn Michaels really does add so much to the story.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Watching the HHH v Undertaker match again. In my opinion it's better than last year's. Often a special guest referee distracts from what the match is about but. and I said it last night, Shawn Michaels really does add so much to the story.

Shawn has always been good at despite being a cocky arrogant character, he can turn himself into a conflicted, weak, troubled character. Its brilliant by him.

His pre-match interview was all about how he had the power, but then he was in the match and he saw that he didnt want that power - he didnt want to be the decision maker in either of these guys respected careers.

The story told for all 3 guys was brilliant. Takers Streak, and the fact it was he who had to help HHH to the back resolving last year. HHH who did everything he could in his true brawler style, and it only hit home right at the end that he had nothing left and couldnt do it. HBK with his conflict of power and just not wanting to end this for 2 guys he respects so much.

A story 16-17 years in the making to be honest, and it showed as emotional strain for the fans was phenomenal.

Great match, great story, great work from 3 legends, and totally the right ending. Respect.
    • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
      Forum Member
      i thought it was a good wrestlemania.

sheamus v d bryan, was pointless though happy to see the Sheamus win.

kane v orton, was surprised Kane got a victory especially a clean win

rhodes v big show, like big show so glad he got his Wrestlemania moment.

divas match, terrible enough said.

Undertaker v HHH, this was the only reason I ordered Wrestlemania and cant say I was disappointed. it was well done and it was the end of an era. there will never be another 3 superstars like these guys. good to see the respect between the three at the end.

team teddy v team johnny, i thought this was an elimination tag match but was wrong expected the awesome one to get the pin but was a pointless match.

jericho v punk, cant comment as fell asleep during this match, seen it start but dont remember anything until some terrible singer/rapper was telling us john cena was an underdog.

cena v rock, thought this was a very good match and ended the right way, the most electrifying man in sports entertainment had to win though had my doubts when super cena showed up.

did think the whole night that the atmosphere was lacking though thats what happens when they hold it outside
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Shawn has always been good at despite being a cocky arrogant character, he can turn himself into a conflicted, weak, troubled character. Its brilliant by him.

His pre-match interview was all about how he had the power, but then he was in the match and he saw that he didnt want that power - he didnt want to be the decision maker in either of these guys respected careers.

The story told for all 3 guys was brilliant. Takers Streak, and the fact it was he who had to help HHH to the back resolving last year. HHH who did everything he could in his true brawler style, and it only hit home right at the end that he had nothing left and couldnt do it. HBK with his conflict of power and just not wanting to end this for 2 guys he respects so much.

A story 16-17 years in the making to be honest, and it showed as emotional strain for the fans was phenomenal.

Great match, great story, great work from 3 legends, and totally the right ending. Respect.

Great post, brilliantly put.

Also, I had no problem with Big Show winning, it was the only logical finish considering Rhodes has been humiliating him for weeks. And I don't think it will harm Cody Rhodes as he's probably outgrew the IC belt and is being moved up the card.
    • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      To be honest after watching Wrestlemania last night I still feel that the best match out of all of them was Undertaker and HHH. I also thought that the rest of the matches was just mediocre. During the CM Punk and Jericho I ended up having a 10 minute power nap as I got that bored with it. If anything I think the Undertaker and HHH match should have been top of the bill.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,255
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      Very disappointed. Poor start to the show and it picked up from the HIAC match which was fantastic. Only that, the Punk, Jericho match and the Cena, Rock match delivered. I wasn't looking forward to Cena vs Rock but it was fantastic, and the outcome was perfect as I was backing The Rock, the arrogant Cena got put in his place :)

Can't begin to tell you how pissed I am with the treatment of my boy D Bryan. It was actually disgusting. Good way to treat your most over heel of the night WWE, really makes sense that. Also the way the crowd chanted his name in 2 different matches and also did the wonderful YES! chant was awesome and showed what they thought of that. Thanks for bumping your best wrestlers ring time to let The Funkasauras dance with a bunch of freaks, jerks.

The rest of the show was almost filler, the GM tag match should of been elimination without any shadow of a doubt but it did what was expected, Eve's involvement perplexed me but hopefully they take it somewhere. Show vs Rhodes? If they really wanted to give him his moment then job Khali to him, not one of your best up and comers. Divas... Lets not go there. And finally Kane vs Orton, average match but at least Kane picked up the win.

As you can tell, certain parts of WM pissed me off.
    • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
      Forum Member
      Ooh, a shiny new thread. I wonder how many pages the old one grew by during Mania last night? :D

OK, my Mania thoughts...

Sheamus vs Bryan: Well, what can you say really? Although my thoughts have slightly changed now that I've got some sleep. Could they have had a decent 10 minute match? Of course. But in a way, I think this will do Bryan's character a world of good. He's been squeaking out wins for months now, so to have him beaten so decisevely is a good payoff to his title reign. He can now become even more of a weasel and blame AJ for the loss. It's all well and good moaning 'They could've cut out the music acts and/or Brodus' but the truth is that Wrestlemania has changed into Entertainmentmania in the last few years. They will get a rematch at Extreme Rules, probably No-DQ, which should be a lot of fun. And it's not like this match was 'cut short', it was apparantly planned a few weeks ago to be a squash, so there's no point bitching about the other segments being too long.

Kane vs Orton: I felt bad for Orton going into Mania this year, he's had some cracking feuds and matches since last WM, so to have him in such a slapdash feud this year was disappointing. The match itself was not bad per se, it just suffered from me not giving much of a crap about the feud, so I was only half paying attention to it. I was very surprised to see Kane get a clean win though. When was the last time a heel beat a face totally clean 1-on-1 at Wrestlemania? I honestly can't remember, so it must be a good few years!

Rhodes vs Show: And here was me they'd have a Big Show win via count-out or DQ, therefore giving him his Wrestlemania win whilst keeping the strap on Cody. Surprised a veteran like Show is champ, but I suppose he does seem to float around not doing a lot on Smackdown these days, so this will give him a bit of direction. The match was decent enough for its place on the card, felt more like a Smackdown main event match, but that's not really a big complaint. Rematch at Extreme Rules or will they do it on Smackdown this month?

Beth/Eve vs Kelly/....Someone: Bog standard filler Divas match. Most fake tan I've seen on my tv screen maybe ever! Beth wore feathers on her head and got pinned by ....Someone. Yes, the Divas Champion got pinned by a Z-lister. And who said titles are worthless in WWE these days?! :D Eve has a cracking arse when she does that booty shake thing, just a shame about the rest of her (sorry Eve fans, I just think she looks terrible!). I also found it amusing that a celebrity with bad ribs (she injured them on Dancing With The Stars apparantly) was able to withstand a bearhug from a woman as strong as Beth :p

HHH vs Taker HIAC: SO happy they got JR in for this. He really does make every match he calls like the most important match ever. Entrances were cool as expected. I was expecting a fully bald Taker, so the mohawk was a nice surprise. I think it actually quite suits him. I'm gonna watch this match again later, but on first viewing last night it took about 10-12 mins for me to get into it. It seemed too similar to last year. But damn, did it ever improve? By the end, I was on the edge of my seat. This is what wrestling should be, gently ramping up the excitement and by the end you are on the edge of your seat, totally going made for the false finishes. The image of HHH on the floor, and Taker putting his foot on the hammer was fantastic! A total switch from last year, when it was HHH standing over Taker. I forgot HBK was ref a lot of the time, not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing though. The whole 'ring the bell' thing they did with HHH and HBK I wasn't a fan of until the match was over, then it made a lot more sense in the story of the match. And for the first time since Wrestlemania 21 (when Orton countered the chokeslam with and RKO) I genuinely thought the streak was over. When the SCM/Pedigree moment happened, I actually leapt out of my chair yelling something like.. 'HOLY *BLEEP*, IT'S OVER, IS IT GONNA END??, IT'S GONNA END!!!....WOW!!!'. I wasn't even like that for HHH's Tombstone last year! The cell wasn't really needed, I think it was just a way of making the match seem bigger than last year. But I have to applaud whoever came up with that aftermath. Just a classy ending. If I was Vince, I'd never have Taker, HHH, or HBK wrestle ever again. Just a perfect way to end the in-ring careers of the three guys, considering what's gone down at Mania the last 4 years. Definitely my favourite Wrestlemania match since Taker/HBK at WM25, it may even surpass it. I'll decide once I've rewatched it.

Team Johnny vs Team Teddy: My first two thoughts when this match came about... Damn, the Bellas are fit, and 'Wow, are they gonna wrestle in those stupid tshirts?!'. Glad Team Johnny won, Teddy's routine has been so tired for so many years now (although I will miss him making 'TAG TEAM MATCH!''s all the time :D). I feel bad for Ryder, he works his arse off to get over with the crowd when The Powers That Be weren't giving him a chance, he manages to get on tv, and win the US Title, but since then he's just been made to look like a chump! In a way, this might have been Vince's way of saying 'You have the nerve to push yourself, this is what you get!'. The match itself was fine for what it was, a clusterf**k multi man match put on after the best Wrestlemania match in years. Nothing offensive, I'd just someone else take the fall than Zack. At least his stupid storyline with Eve seems to have ended now.

Punk vs Jericho: Was looking forward to this. Jericho's jacket is still awesome. They started the match off as a slow-burn, which I think killed the crowd a little bit, though they did return for the last 5 mins. The whole DQ stipulation seemed a little pointless after the first 5 minutes of Jericho baiting Punk to whack him with the chair. The match grew and grew and got better as it went on. Some very nice counters, and it was good to see Jericho bust out a proper Walls Of Jericho/Liontamer for once. Glad Punk retained. Now give these guys a ladder for the Extreme Rules rematch. That could be amazing!

Brodus Clay dance skit: Anyone bashing this needs to get a sense of fun! Over the last few years, Mania has always had comedy skits (usually backstage though). This was just fun filler. I loved the shot of the guy in the crowd on the phone :D, and the dancing mama's really made me crack up.

Music acts: Some tattooed skinny white dude in a vest rapped a bit. He was crap. Flo-Rida (I only know one of his songs, that Low song) sung a couple of songs, he was better but still not very good and too long.

Rock vs Cena: A years build up. Promos of varying quality. One of the most hyped matches of all time. Did it deliver? .....Erm.....sort of! The crowd wasn't as loud as Rock/Hogan but I think that might be because this Mania was in an outdoor arena where a lot of the crowd noise is lost. The match itself was not terrible, but I think they made a mistake putting restholds in early, it seemed to kill the crowd for a few minutes. I was surprised to see Rock pick up the win, seeing as I expect he'll barely be around this year. And I thought the finish was rather odd, with Cena (a babyface) acting like a dick and doing a People's Elbow. I'll be interested to see what they do with Cena now. Rumours going around he'll be feuding with Lord Tensai/A-Train who should be debuting soon.

So, overal a mostly enjoyable Wrestlemania, much better than last years, with some strange booking decisions (squash WHC match, Rock winning). Could've done without the music acts but that's the way Mania is these days.
    • Conor McHaleConor McHale Posts: 718
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Triple H - Undertaker was a great match, thought the ending was great too. I think that will probably be Undertaker's last match at Wrestlemania now - if they give him another one next year, it will be very difficult for him to top last night's performance. The cell did seem to be a bit unnecessary though.

Punk - Jericho started off slowly was a bit boring at first, but I think the ending redeemed it for them, I liked the high pace and numerous counter towards the end. Expecting Jericho to go back to touring with Fozzy soon, but I hope we get to see a rematch between them first.

Completely shocked to see The Rock beat Cena, although I'm not quite sure what the purpose of it actually is. Rock's not going to stick around and I thought it was more of a passing the baton sort of match, but you won't see me complaining about a Rock win anyway! :p

Still can't believe they made Cody drop the title to the Big Show though :( I was convinced he would become the longest reigning IC Champion - hopefully this means Cody will get a push to the main event though!
    • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,656
      Forum Member
      SteelEdge wrote: »
      Ooh, a shiny new thread. I wonder how many pages the old one grew by during Mania last night? :D

OK, my Mania thoughts...

*Snip*
      Think you put exactly my thoughts on the show too. (With one exception - Eve looks great, and is infinitely more entertaining than Ryder ;)).

Overall, a much better show than last year.
    • Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      I've come to the point where I'm fine with Bryan losing in the fashion he did, I woke up this morning and thought it was the perfect commupance for his character and he can invoke his rematch clause and still come out strong, I think I read that Vince and the booking team were going to make sure he wasn't going back to Midcard status and if the reaction of last night is anything to go by I.E 'YES YES YES' chants and 'DANIEL BRYAN' during Kane/Orton and the Divas matches.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      SteelEdge wrote: »
      When was the last time a heel beat a face totally clean 1-on-1 at Wrestlemania? I honestly can't remember, so it must be a good few years!

I think, funnily enough, it was when Khali beat Kane at Mania 23.

On a similar subject does anyone know when John Cena was last beaten clean in a singles match?
    • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I think, funnily enough, it was when Khali beat Kane at Mania 23.

On a similar subject does anyone know when John Cena was last beaten clean in a singles match?

Cena was last beaten clean by HBK in 2007, can't think of anything later than that.

Also Jericho v Edge at Wrestlemania 26 was the last time a heel won one on one clean. I will discard Cody win against Mysterio last year based on using an object to win the match.

As it was mentioned in the last thread and not picked up, that WHC match is now the shortest match in Wrestlemania history at all, Kane v Chavo is and will take some beating to make a match any quicker.
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      vampirek wrote: »
      Cena was last beaten clean by HBK in 2007, can't think of anything later than that.

Also Jericho v Edge at Wrestlemania 26 was the last time a heel won one on one clean. I will discard Cody win against Mysterio last year based on using an object to win the match.

As it was mentioned in the last thread and not picked up, that WHC match is now the shortest match in Wrestlemania history at all, Kane v Chavo is and will take some beating to make a match any quicker.

Thanks for that; so nearly five years ago, that's some record!

Also I did think of that match but thought Jericho hit Edge with the belt before pinning him?
      Forum Member

HBK vs Cena was a face vs face match really though. And I've not seen the match in a while but I swear Jericho used a belt shot to the head during that match with Edge. So I don't count that as a clean victory.

decemberboy is right, I think it was Khali beating Kane at WM23, which I watched last week funnily enough.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,444
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I actually forgot about Brodus Clay and the bridge club! That was just surreal, in a funny way though.

Think I will record WM next time I'm watching on sky because staying up so late really ruins some parts. Me and a lot of my friends were just praying for punk/jericho to end! And the music acts were killing me slowly, but I'm sure people enjoyed it that were there.
    • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      What bugs me now is the lack of backstage interviews! They would rather show montages and video packages...it doesnt allow the characters to be built! Surely a D Bryan interview straight after the match would have been good :) (All he would have had to say was NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!)...

I miss how it used to be, and I see why they are struggling to build characters. You had about 20 people involved in that team Teddy V Team Johnny match, and barely any of them you REALLY wanted to win or lose...

Theres barely a heel in wrestling that I see that I want to get his comeuppance - D Bryan was/is on that path and possibly the Miz when he gets time - apart from that they all blend in together.

Oh and did Brodus just look totally disinterested dancing last night! I love the gimmick, but I dont think its going to last!
    • Johns63Johns63 Posts: 539
      Forum Member
      ✭✭

no he wasn't. He won at wrestlemania 23:p
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Johns63 wrote: »
      no he wasn't. He won at wrestlemania 23:p

I think he means the match on Raw in London the next night...
    • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I think he means the match on Raw in London the next night...

Was Raw really in London the night after WM23 that was in Detroit?
    • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

The two met again on a Raw after Mania which HBK won. Wasn't the first Raw after though.
      Forum Member
      The two met again on a Raw after Mania which HBK won. Wasn't the first Raw after though.

Yeah, the UK tour is usually 2-3 weeks after Mania. I remember that match though, it was an hour long and was absolutely fantastic! I even turned down tickets for that Raw cos I had other plans! Regretted it ever since, what a match that must've been to see live! :cry:
      Forum Member
      ✭✭

Ah, I assumed it was the night after, I knew they had an hour match in London though, was around Mania xD. Shawn won clean.
    This discussion has been closed.