AA Gill Has Died

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Three weeks after he revealed he was battling cancer, aged 62. Love him or loathe him it's still sad news. At least he left an impression on the world. Be it good or bad.

Comments

• BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad, nothing to dislike about him. Not all writers have to be carbon copies of each other, politically correct or whatever. I'd always turn to his restaurant columns first, on a Sunday morning.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I used to enjoy reading his TV column in the Sunday Times even though it was 90% negative. He was a TV critic who didn't seem to like television.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't agree with 99% of his views, but he was a fantastically acerbic writer. That sounds incredibly quick - which I suppose is merciful in some ways.
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    I used to enjoy reading his TV column in the Sunday Times even though it was 90% negative. He was a TV critic who didn't seem to like television.

I often found myself agreeing with his column! RIP Adrian.
  • Betty MiddlingBetty Middling Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beanybun wrote: »
    Sad, nothing to dislike about him.

Well, I mean, that isn't correct.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loathsome man... I adored his column and he will be sadly missed. Hearing this news brought a tear to my eye. RIP.
  • Horace WimpHorace Wimp Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    RIP, I always loved the Pooh Bear stories.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,888
    Forum Member
    Sad, nothing to dislike about him.

Well that would depend if you were from Wales, The Isle Of Man or Norfolk.

Or whether you agree with the shooting of Baboons for sport.

Or whether you think it's ok to refer to a gay person as 'a dyke on a bike'.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that would depend if you were from Wales, The Isle Of Man or Norfolk.

Or whether you agree with the shooting of Baboons for sport.

Or whether you think it's ok to refer to a gay person as 'a dyke on a bike'.

He also shared in the prejudice a lot of southern, posh, well paid columnists have towards Liverpool and people from Liverpool...

...but having said that, he could be a very amusing writer and it sounds like he had a particularly nasty form of cancer. So, rest in peace.
    Forum Member
    He also shared in the prejudice a lot of southern, posh, well paid columnists have towards Liverpool and people from Liverpool...

...but having said that, he could be a very amusing writer and it sounds like he had a particularly nasty form of cancer. So, rest in peace.

Yes I liked him, just found it unfortunate that he said some things. I was more pointing out there was quite a few reasons not to like him.
  • viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    Didn't agree with 99% of his views, but he was a fantastically acerbic writer. That sounds incredibly quick - which I suppose is merciful in some ways.

Agree. The quality of his writing 'pardoned' a lot of his views.

I also admire him for his earlier recovery, his active decision to make the most of the new life he found after addiction, and his matter-of-fact approach to death. Regardless of whether people liked him or not, that takes enormous courage. RIP.
  • EadfrithEadfrith Posts: 5,048
    Forum Member
    Agree. The quality of his writing 'pardoned' a lot of his views.

LOL what??? How does that work? :confused::confused:
  • joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird how my post got deleted but other people have pointed out negative attributes and that's fine??

Edit: Actually it didn't - there is another thread on this in 'Print Media'.
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe some of these childish posts.

The guys dead.

Its hardly a crime to take the piss out of Wales, or the Isle of Man, or wherever.

It appears that satire died with him.

Get a sense of humour, a life or preferably both...
    Forum Member

The guys dead.

Its hardly a crime to take the piss out of Wales, or the Isle of Man, or wherever.

Who said it was a crime? He said a lot of quite nasty things about large groups of people so there's probably a reason why there are a number of people who aren't that upset about his death.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The guys dead.

You're having a go at people for expressing their opinions, whilst defending the man for doing the same. :confused:
  • Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hes not a showbiz
  • dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP, I always loved the Pooh Bear stories.

Wasn't that AA Milne :)
  • Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He always did me a good quote on my car insurance every year