The Day the Immigrants Left - BBC1

Comments

• AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell I'm beginning to understand why the country has gone to the dogs, so to speak. These unemployed surely aren't really that workshy, or am I just being naive.
  • Snow MartianSnow Martian Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    DB5 wrote: »
    This programme is making me so angry - and ashamed to be English.

The BBC strikes again......probably their intention all along.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he did make an effort even if he only lasted half a day:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Wow! BBC shows that some Brits are lazy whingers and people on this forum equate that to an attack on the country. What utter utter morons and even more of an embarrassment to our nation. Sod immigration, these idiots here make a great ad for emigration.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    It seems to be an educational problem - they don't seem to have run into anyone who told them what to do or they were wrong or who made them work. The educational system seems now to diagnose a lot of them as having ADHD and just get rid of them as soon as they can and pretends they taught them something. It should have been sorted out in the first year at school. Presumably it gets worse as they pass on their issues to their children.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC strikes again......probably their intention all along.

No different to right wing propaganda we get fed in the press every day.

Maybe this documentary was a little one-sided but so are other media outlets, only in reverse.
  • bunnydsbunnyds Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to ask, but has anyone ever seen non-Indian person working in an Indian Restaurant?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The asparagus pickers bless 'em :(

I can see what the farmer is saying, but they probably did try very hard..
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bunnyds wrote: »
    Have to ask, but has anyone ever seen non-Indian person working in an Indian Restaurant?

yes and have also seen a non-chinese person working in a chinese restaurant
  • pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That ashley seems like a nice kid, waiting is tough when you're not used to it. Ali is a sweetie for feeding him.
    The rest of the younger people seem to resent being told what to do by their bosses:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have, a young woman behind the bar, once many years ago.
    I have not been back to that particular restaurant so cannot say how long she was there for.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the "ZOMG, I don't believe the BBC!!" argument is that those on the far-right take the words of the Daily Mail and Nick Griffin as being gospel while everything else is a conspiracy against white folk.
  • Snow MartianSnow Martian Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    No different to right wing propaganda we get fed in the press every day.

Maybe this documentary was a little one-sided but so are other media outlets, only in reverse.

You can expect that from the gutter press, but NOT from the BBC. This "documentary" was exactly what I thought it would be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    starsburn wrote: »
    Oh, look. The BBC attempting to totally demonize white English people. What a shock. Of course they are featuring the most unsavoury white people they can find so they can keep rentlessly pushing their agenda.

I thought the White Season they did was bad enough. What IS their f***ing problem? They are totally obsessed with their pro-multicultralism to the point of looking like total t*ssers.

As a white working class licence fee payer I'm sick to the back teeth of this rubbish.

I would love to agree with you BUT I can't. I worked with the long term unemployed for a few years and many are unemployed because they don't want to work. I constantly came across people that wouldn't do certain jobs because it was beneath them, yet taking benifits obviously wasn't beneath them. I was told on more than one occasion that if somebody had their benifits stopped they would go out and mug old ladies, and that it wouldn't be their fault it would be mine.

nope it's a fact that many English just don't want to work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So they applied for jobs but there have been 'no suitable vacancies'

bastards :mad:

just gone and turned the program into a farce
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that to do many of these low-paid jobs you must live a life similar to that in a third world country.

I thought Britain had moved on in the last 100 years so that ones work would allow a decent life for a person and his/her family.

Hard work to just manage to survive is rather 1870s you know. The problem is the pay, not the work.

But it seems that others disagree. Certainly your average underpaid BBC executive has an altogether more Dickensian viewpoint.
  • AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

But I bet if an immigrant arrived looking for a job then one would miraculously appear. :mad:
  • suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member

Yes actually, in our local Indian restaurant here on the CDS they regularly employ English staff as waiters etc. great reataurant & it works very well - (never seen Spanish staff though :p)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

Seconded. :mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the "ZOMG, I don't believe the BBC!!" argument is that those on the far-right take the words of the Daily Mail and Nick Griffin as being gospel while everything else is a conspiracy against white folk.

I dont vote BNP or read the Daily Mail, am I lumped into that as well?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    The problem is that to do many of these low-paid jobs you must live a life similar to that in a third world country.

I thought Britain had moved on in the last 100 years so that days work would allow a decent life for a person and his/her family. Hard work to just manage to survive is rather 1870s you know. The problem is the pay, not the work.

But it seems that others disagree. Certainly your average underpaid BBC executive has an altogether more Dickensian viewpoint.

It makes me sad, because I think most of the BBC Execs, the presenter, the production staff etc. probably wouldn't do or be able to do any of that work either.

Nor half the people that are criticizing!
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I can understand why some of the more long term unemployed are having problem. It really must be a shock to go from getting up at noon and not doing a lot to doing a full days work. With some jobs it would be the physical effort for others it would be trying to learn all that new stuff. After all, a lot have just been letting their brains turn to mush watching daytime TV. It would be like expecting them to run a marathon having never run in their lives.

Saying that, a lot of them really do give in at the first setback which is absolutely no way to act if you want to get anywhere in life. They might feel like they are hard done by and say they want a job, but I see a bunch of people who don't understand that the word 'work' is an alternative to job for a reason and there are very few jobs that require no work, in fact I can't think of any that fall into that category.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

I thought Britain had moved on in the last 100 years so that days work would allow a decent life for a person and his/her family. Hard work to just manage to survive is rather 1870s you know. The problem is the pay, not the work.

Agreed to an extent, but it's also about living within your means.

If a lot of these people cut out **** and booze from their life (which I consider luxuries), then they might be able to make a reasonable living for themselves.

I don't see why I have to fund their existence with my taxes just because they are too proud/lazy to give up a lifestyle they are accustomed to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    You can expect that from the gutter press, but NOT from the BBC. This "documentary" was exactly what I thought it would be.

What a coincidence. Your "post" was exactly what I thought it would be.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    But I bet if an immigrant arrived looking for a job then one would miraculously appear. :mad:

Bet they wouldn't.