My cat died last night - devastated!

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lemonhunny wrote: »
    My 19 yr old cat was put to sleep on Sept 1st, and I still look for her greeting me when I come home from work. I know I did the right thing for her, and I would have been very selfish to have made her go through ops and recovery at her age.

Her 18 yr old daughter is pining badly, and with feline renal failure and senility (according to the vet), I'm not expecting her to last much longer either.

I'll never have pets again - I adopted these two 16 yrs ago when neighbours were moving - because I am not going through this again.

I understand your felelings so well, and sympathise with you.

It's 8 years since we lost "our babies".

Our cat was 14 and died of feline renal failure, and our dog was 13 and died of heart failure. I have never been able to adopt another.

Reading this thread you'd have to have a heart of stone to not cry, and to everyone posting in this thread I wish peace and comfort.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 19 yr old cat was put to sleep on Sept 1st, and I still look for her greeting me when I come home from work. I know I did the right thing for her, and I would have been very selfish to have made her go through ops and recovery at her age.

Her 18 yr old daughter is pining badly, and with feline renal failure and senility (according to the vet), I'm not expecting her to last much longer either.

I'll never have pets again - I adopted these two 16 yrs ago when neighbours were moving - because I am not going through this again.

But surely it's worth it for all the love and happiness they gave you? I know how much it hurts to lose them, but there are so many poor little cats that need a loving home.

Please give it time and then perhaps you will reconsider and give a rescue cat (or two) a good home? They are so worth it.
  • OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    Sadly, and inevitably, I have read (and been PM'd) by others who have suffered the same loss with their pets recently. I wish I could only sympathise, but unfortunately I empathise because I completely understand what everyone is feeling.

An envelope came through the post about 10 days ago, which I instantly recognised to be from the vets, and which almost certainly contains the bill. The envelope felt like fire in my hands and I threw it onto the table as if it had burnt me. I'm ashamed to admit that I have tried not to look at it much less open it since it arrived. I know it's there, but it signals the finality of it all. Makes it real. I feel a bit angry every time I catch a glimpse of it. I'm dreading having to open it and deal with the contents. My stomach lurches and the gut wrenching feeling of grief that I have desperately been trying to suppress washes over me all over again. I miss him.

On a lighter note, my other cat is undergoing what can only be described as a personality transformation. She is turning into an incredibly loving cat! Previously, she was very fickle and sometimeish, but now she's by my side almost constantly. She doesn't sleep with me, she sleeps on me and if that's not possible she's right there next to me until she can find a path to a comfortable spot on my person again. She's a lot more agreeable and bless her, she's made things a bit easier for me. The dynamics have obviously changed and she seems quite pleased that I no longer have to share my affections. She was always the more vocal one and she does make me laugh, especially when she protests if I dare to change position whilst she's trying to get comfortable on top of me. Of course, I am her loyal servant. Ha!

Thanks for listening as always.
  • ShuttermazeShuttermaze Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I've been reading this thread on and off tonight. Had to close the thread a number of times, as I needed to dry my eyes. I am so sorry to those who've lost their darling pets recently, it's such a painful hurt, and one I know only too well unfortunately.

I've had to say goodbye to a few members of the feline family now, and it's horrid. It gets better, in time; but you never forget them.

Lemonhunny; I can totally understand where you're coming from, but you're dealing with the rawness of it at the moment. But in time, and more likely when you least expect it, you'll find yourself giving a home to another cat or dog. If I had a penny for every time I'd said never again.... well, lets just say, I'd rather have sod all money, and the love of my cats for comfort.

OGB. (hugs)
    Try not to look at the letter from the vets as the final curtain, that will never happen, you'll always have so many wonderful memories. But it's not something you can hide from either. Give it a day or two, open it, do what you have to do and even though it'll hurt, you know you did the right thing. (hugs again) Your other cat has sensed your sadness, and is comforting you in such a wonderful way. I had a cat, sadly no longer with me; that used to come running if he heard me crying. And would nuzzle my on the face till I stopped. So intuitive, cats; they always seem to know.

I really am so sorry for everyone, and I've got to stop now, as I need to dry my eyes.

*hugs all*
    Forum Member
    Also, as a little thought to try to bring a smile to those feeling sad right now; at having to say goodbye to their cat. Would you mind if I recommended a book?

The Cat Who Came In From The Cold, by Deric Longden. It's a wonderful, wonderful book, and it's heartwarming. Give it a go, you'll smile; I promise.

*hugs*
    Forum Member
    what a lovely,lovely post

Isn't it. Poblet, that was lovely..
  • gemchickengemchicken Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know how horrible it is losing a pet you love, although people say 'they're just an animal and get over it' that's not true, a real pet is part of the family, who give unconditional love and cuddles. I feel so sorry for anyone going through this loss and I wish I could wave a magic wand and make all the hurt go away.

I can't put into words how anyone is feeling, but I can offer this video, which is just so beautiful when you're going through an awful time like this:

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Please watch it, and take comfort in it xxx
  • PobletPoblet Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a lovely,lovely post
    Isn't it. Poblet, that was lovely..

Aww bless, thank you.:)

I keep coming back to this thread because of how real it is, and the genuine thoughts and experiences.

It was my first cat's 2nd anniversary of his death on 7th Sept. I still have his picture on the wall, his hairbrush, a little photo and his best toy in a zipper bag. I didn't cry, I smiled about what we had.

All I can say to those who have loved and lost a feline friend, whatever age, is that it is natural to grieve, it is a bereavement, and if you didn't it indicates it didn't mean much. I have been through what many posters have, in my own way and will never forget him, why would I want to?

And to those who say they will never have another, it is a personal choice, but I say given time you will be able to open up again. My kittens are now 5 months old, and I treat each day with them as special, because the fact is you never know what will happen, as with anyone. I have just picked my boy up and given him a squeeze after catching up with this thread because I had to. They give me so much joy,and I really was adamant about never having another because it hurts too much when they go. If they went tomorrow (God forbid) I would be out of action for weeks again, but would be glad they had been with me.

Grieving hurts like hell, but it is natural, and it does ease. And in time, who knows? Another companion may come your way. If you are loving, it's almost inevitable.

Sorry for another long post:o (((Hugs)))to everyone going through a loss.
  • mazeymazey Posts: 137,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OGB wrote: »
    I just thought I'd come back and say a HUGE thank you to every single one of you who posted on this thread. To all of you who PM'd me, I'd also like to say thank you. It's been a few week now and whilst I am by no means over it, I am back in the land of the living.

So that's it really, just THANK YOU to everyone. And I can now add one of these > :) because it's been a long time.

:)

Happy you have turned the corner, it is hard to see at the time but you will always have memories. :)
    hi chessie he had cat flu as a kitten and it left him with many problems one being when he ate he took a lot of air too this recently started building up in him last time they managed to disperse it but this time he was too weak i knew he wouldn't live a long life but expected a bit more than this

That is a very short time, but as another FM has said you gave him the best you could. Share that with another cat when you can, not easy if your OH is ill. ((SG))

I'll never have pets again
    - I adopted these two 16 yrs ago when neighbours were moving - because I am not going through this again.

Your pain shows you are a loving cat servant, (owner is not the right word :o ) please think again, you have had all those years of joy, 19 is a very good age for a cat, there are many cats and kittens looking for good homes.
  • mazeymazey Posts: 137,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OGB wrote: »
    Sadly, and inevitably, I have read (and been PM'd) by others who have suffered the same loss with their pets recently. I wish I could only sympathise, but unfortunately I empathise because I completely understand what everyone is feeling.

An envelope came through the post about 10 days ago, which I instantly recognised to be from the vets, and which almost certainly contains the bill. The envelope felt like fire in my hands and I threw it onto the table as if it had burnt me. I'm ashamed to admit that I have tried not to look at it much less open it since it arrived. I know it's there, but it signals the finality of it all. Makes it real. I feel a bit angry every time I catch a glimpse of it. I'm dreading having to open it and deal with the contents. My stomach lurches and the gut wrenching feeling of grief that I have desperately been trying to suppress washes over me all over again. I miss him.

On a lighter note, my other cat is undergoing what can only be described as a personality transformation. She is turning into an incredibly loving cat! Previously, she was very fickle and sometimeish, but now she's by my side almost constantly. She doesn't sleep with me, she sleeps on me and if that's not possible she's right there next to me until she can find a path to a comfortable spot on my person again. She's a lot more agreeable and bless her, she's made things a bit easier for me. The dynamics have obviously changed and she seems quite pleased that I no longer have to share my affections. She was always the more vocal one and she does make me laugh, especially when she protests if I dare to change position whilst she's trying to get comfortable on top of me. Of course, I am her loyal servant. Ha!

Thanks for listening as always.
    My vet does not charge for final treatments if the animal dies, last time I lost a pet it was the PTS and cremation fee only.

She had had lots of tests and hours of staff time while family came to say farewell, ask questions, cry, three of us were with her at the end, then they left us for a final goodbye. It was 8 pm when we left after a 4 pm appointment. :o

My other cat became a new cat after that. Like yours, previously semi-detached now she is queen cat, lying beside the keyboard as I post. Enjoy and be happy she is getting her moment in the sun, :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I am so sorry to hear about your cat. My beloved Monty was ' put to sleep' late last night and I am so heartbroken. I keep looking at this beautiful sunny day and wish Monty was here to enjoy it. He was my most loyal friend and gave me so much love, and hapiness. I cannot stop crying and was so reassured to read that there are others who feel the same pain.

I have 2 cats left and know that one day I will have to go through this again. However, you must keep thinking of all the wonderful memories you had with your beloved pet. This is what will keep me going. I have to tell my 31 year old son this evening and am dreading it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    waterhg wrote: »
    I am so sorry to hear about your cat. My beloved Monty was ' put to sleep' late last night and I am so heartbroken. I keep looking at this beautiful sunny day and wish Monty was here to enjoy it. He was my most loyal friend and gave me so much love, and hapiness. I cannot stop crying and was so reassured to read that there are others who feel the same pain.

I have 2 cats left and know that one day I will have to go through this again. However, you must keep thinking of all the wonderful memories you had with your beloved pet. This is what will keep me going. I have to tell my 31 year old son this evening and am dreading it.

Same happened to me 2 months ago and came out of nowhere. I know you must feel absolutely gutted. But you are correct you can take comfort in the wonderful memories you have.

I took the decision to get a kitten quite quickly. It was a very bitter sweet time. It turned out to be the right decsion for our cat household because it stopped my Bengal girl form pining.

I got the ashes back for my beloved Fluff. I am going to find a nice decorative potted tree to put him in so he can be with us always.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    waterhg wrote: »

I'm sorry to hear about your Monty, last October we had our man of the house put to sleep as he had a tumour, it wasn't too unexpected as he had been going downhill for about a week. What did actually send me off the rails a bit was that within a week his sister died very suddenly from renal failure, she died on my bed while I was lying with her and it devastated me. They were both 18 but I had grown up with them.

We still have one kitty left, she is 17, in slow renal failure, has epilepsy and is completely deaf but she is magic, she is completely senile, loves staring at doors and potters along happily in her own little world - she is crackers and I love her to bits but know she is on borrowed time :(

Her mum and uncle are in decorative urns and I swear she goes to talk to them. You will feel better, you will always miss him but you will remember the good times and know that he is now out of pain.

Take care and chin up, it honestly does get better :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    OGB, I think we all feel your pain, I am having a little snivvle as I write. I have 4 cats aged 15-16 so I know that at some point in the not too distant future I am going to be making similar decisions.
    As for the timing of what happened....There is a saying that it is better to be a day too soon than a day too late. Cats bear pain with fortitude and do not show suffering till it really is unbearable...so you really did do the kindest thing. If you had taken her home she would have picked up on your vibes and felt stressed herself.
    Take comfort, she had a great life with you.

' Oh, I have slipped through the surly bonds of earth and danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings '