The Adele Appreciation Thread

Comments

• molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Number 2 for Someone Like You this week.

You know, for all the discussion and sales figures we go through on here, it's incredible that, for me, at least, that song just never gets any less beautiful. I must have heard it around 200+ times now and it just never gets old. You know a song's pretty good when after 7 weeks in the top two and constant airplay you still don't want it to end. :)

I agree, I love the song as much now as I did when I first heard it. Certain times when I listen to it it actually makes me feel very emotional and quite reflective, it's sort of a touching song but I wouldn't class it as a 'sad song'. It's (I presume) a song that everyone will have had/will have an experience about in their lives. Beautiful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems there is really no stopping Adele... How long have 21 and 19 been at #1 and #2 for now..?

Great album, great artist... She is exactly the kind of person to be breaking these records and having these sales..
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Eejit wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the record is for the highest ever album sales in a calendar year btw...? :o

It appears to be Back to Bedlam by James Blunt, at 2,367,658 copies in 2005. Adele is only 600k away from this and has 9 months to do it in, but she'll probably do it in 4 weeks.

So basically, 21 will indeed have the highest ever UK album sales in one year pretty soon.:eek:

EDIT: This is for the UK. If you meant the world, I have no idea how to find that out. :p
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    If the %tage increase quoted by MW (65%) is correct then the actual figure is approx 257k.

This album will have surpassed Blunt's record by early Summer late Spring IMO.:eek::eek:
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It appears to be Back to Bedlam by James Blunt, at 2,367,658 copies in 2005. Adele is only 600k away from this and has 9 months to do it in, but she'll probably do it in 4 weeks.

So basically, 21 will indeed have the highest ever UK album sales in one year pretty soon.:eek:

EDIT: This is for the UK. If you meant the world, I have no idea how to find that out. :p

I don't think 21 will stop until every possible record is broken :D
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks! :)

I was indeed meaning for the UK - I'm slightly amazed it's not higher than that actually! I can't see Adele not breaking that particular record now, given it's only April! :eek: :D
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    250k !!!
    Oh my lord....that's huge and in its 10th week!!. 3 million by the year end is a distinct possibility.

Adele now has the YTD top 2 albums and top YTD single.
    Forum Member
    Eejit wrote: »
    Thanks! :)

I was indeed meaning for the UK - I'm slightly amazed it's not higher than that actually! I can't see Adele not breaking that particular record now, given it's only April! :eek: :D

Well, I got that from here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_by_year_%28UK%29 - and there are a lot of blank years so it's not gospel unless anyone else here knows it to definitely be James Blunt. :p

But yeah, it doesn't really matter if it isn't, because she's surely going to have passed it by the end of May! :eek: I think it's possible we could be looking at 3 million+ sales for 21 this year, which is truly incredible for the UK alone.
  • casualtyno1fancasualtyno1fan Posts: 2,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    250k in its tenth week? There is actually no stopping this woman is there? Although it is DEFINITELY deserved... best album of recent times in my opinion. Tbh, I genuinely don't think Foo Fighters will dethrone her :/
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's now been officially confirmed as 257k. :)
    Forum Member
    Anyone know how much she's sold in the US this week? This could be an absolutely enormous week if Mother's Day has had the same effect over there.
    Forum Member
    Anyone know how much she's sold in the US this week? This could be an absolutely enormous week if Mother's Day has had the same effect over there.

Her HDD prediction is 90-95k. Her WW weekly sales could be 440,000, which may even keep Britney off the number 1 worldwide weekly sales position in her first week of release!
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Her HDD prediction is 90-95k. Her WW weekly sales could be 440,000, which may even keep Britney off the number 1 worldwide weekly sales position in her first week of release!

I dare someone to go into the Britney thread if this happens and announce that Adele is officially bigger than Britney, and watch the fireworks fly. ;):p

Just kidding, but that reallly is amazing. I can picture Adele swearing her head off when she was told this week's amount. :p
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, definitely. Absolutely everyone knows the song by now and barely anyone seems to not like it. The first time I heard it I was just floored by it, I'll never forget the feeling. :)

Same here. I cried like a little girl. :D

Mother's Day isn't until mid-to-late May in the US, or thereabouts.

Anyway - quarter of a million copies in a week is just madness. My gob is officially smacked. :eek:
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is absolutely unbelievable - of course it will be mainly due to the Mothers Day effect but... WOWZAS. Congratulations to Adele. It is a really great album. Beautiful lyrics, and you really feel the emotion when you listen.
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the first time I really heard 'SLY' properly. I deffinatly shed a tear and will remember my thoughts as I heard it. A nice moment (in an odd way).
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molybecks wrote: »
    I remember the first time I really heard 'SLY' properly. I deffinatly shed a tear and will remember my thoughts as I heard it. A nice moment (in an odd way).

Same here :)
  • Red22Red22 Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow well done Adele! amazing numbers
    It's good being an Adele fan right now lol I'm loving it :D
    Forum Member
    http://www.everyhit.com/recordalb.html - Very useful way of putting the sales into perspective.

If it does hit 3 million by the end of the year, it'll be the 15th most successful album in the UK ever!
    Forum Member
    http://www.everyhit.com/recordalb.html - Very useful way of putting the sales into perspective.

If it does hit 3 million by the end of the year, it'll be the 15th most successful album in the UK ever!

It could conceivably be at 3 million by the time the new series of X factor starts! Then what? Unless the Earth tilts on its axis she's clearly going to be a special guest, there will clearly be loads of croaking versions of RITD and SLY being seen/heard through the auditions to boot camp to final. Wouldn't surprise me if she's booked for the final, either. (whisper it) if these things happen, 4 million by year end is possible. Didn't say probable, please note.
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    It could conceivably be at 3 million by the time the new series of X factor starts! Then what? Unless the Earth tilts on its axis she's clearly going to be a special guest, there will clearly be loads of croaking versions of RITD and SLY being seen/heard through the auditions to boot camp to final. Wouldn't surprise me if she's booked for the final, either. (whisper it) if these things happen, 4 million by year end is possible. Didn't say probable, please note.

Well... that's optimistic. :p She hasn't reached the 2 million mark yet so that might be slightly hasty. :D But I do actually kind of agree. Thinking about it, I think she'll at least go way beyond with 3 million, which could put her level with bloody Thriller. :eek:

And I certainly agree that the X Factor are going to milk every last drop out of SLY. I think they could use it in an audition to create a SuBo moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YTD albums sales, courtesy of Buzzjack

1 - Adele - 21 - 1754319
    2 - Adele - 19 - 465829

3 - Rihanna - Loud - 441323
    4 - Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops & Hooligans - 414600
    5 - Jessie J - Who You Are - 254200
    6 - Plan B - Defamation Of Strickland Banks - 225600
    7 - Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More - 209000
    8 - Cee-Lo Green - Lady Killer - 195800
    9 - Tinie Tempah - Disc-Overy - 181400
    10 - Rumer - Seasons Of My Soul - 164600

To compare, this is the top 5 ytd albums from this time last year.
    1 Lady Gaga Fame 478200
    2 Paolo Nutini Sunny Side Up 425400
    3 Florence & The Machine Lungs 425000
    4 Alicia Keys Element Of Freedom 406200
    5 Andre Rieu Forever Vienna 280200
    Forum Member
    There's every chance that the 3 year old debut '19' could be Top 5 in the Year End Sales Charts. Which would be extraordinary.
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Who is still buying this crap???:eek::confused:
    She'll be yet another forgotten nobody in 5 years time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    Who is still buying this crap???:eek::confused:
    She'll be yet another forgotten nobody in 5 years time.
    Me!..I'm buying this 'crap', and I love it. Only I don't think its 'crap', my opinion, just like you have an opinion.
This discussion has been closed.