Saddest Death on TV

Comments

• KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so much Joyce's death in Buffy, but the entire episode "The Body" which focused on the immediate aftermath. I found myself welling up a few times.

When Julie Walter's character died at the end of "A Short Stay in Switzerland" - really heart-renching.

Bobby in NYPD Blue - even my dog seemed to be crying!

Mark Greene in ER.
  • noniejnoniej Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    Mitchel when George staked him and said i am doing this because i love you on Being Human
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel Skinner, EastEnders.

I was watching EastEnders Greatest Exits the other night, I was in floods :(:o
  • wigstofwigstof Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I've got a few - I love a bit of a blart to the TV (does that make me odd??) Anyway;
    Lillie - Single, Married, Other
    Todd Landers - Neighbours
    Jack & Vera - Corrie
    Alma - Corrie
    Rachel - Cold Feet
    Nana - Royale Family
    Meg (Blakes girlfriend) - Home & Away
    Jen - Dawsons Creek
    Adrianna - Sopranos. I know it didnt really do "sad" as a show but I was mortified watching it and really upset! lol.
    Charlie - Lost
    Sun & Jin - Lost... Was devestated with that one!!
    Juliet - Lost... Can barely even type this one without welling up.... Gawd, am such a cry baby!!!! :D
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penny Valentine in Holby City........ even though we didn't see it. The other characters faces were so sad.

Oh and Maddy in Holby as well
  • babbababba Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Nan in the royal family was in bits so well done..
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Greene's beach death episode. Harrowing to watch, heartbreaking!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Corrie in the slightest but Jack Duckworth has a very special send-off.

^^ I agree. Stopped watching Corrie a while before he left but tuned in for his exit. Everything about it was perfect - he got to be with his friends and family one last time in the pub before slipping away quietly and of course the return of Vera was brilliantly handled. Jack and Vera were always one of my favourite pairs on Corrie largely because they reminded me of my grandma and granddad so it made it extra sad for that reason :cry:.
    Actually that reminds me. Blanche dying in Corrie was quite sad (at least the funeral was), mainly because of the actress Maggie Jones who played her died.

Agree again - Blanche/Maggie was one of the few reasons I watched Corrie - her remarks were always dark, cutting and witty but deep down you could tell she cared for her family and friends (both on and off screen). Corrie was never the same once she went.
    Grandad - only fools and horses the way del says "families hold you back and let you down.. then they go and break your bloody heart

Another one I agree with. John Sullivan always managed to balance the comedy and drama elements so well even though the show was supposed to be a sitcom. That scene is easily one of the best from the show as the writing (especially the quote) and the delivery and emotion of the line from David Jason as Del Boy is brilliant. In fact that whole episode is amazing - both funny and sad at the same time :cry:
    lollycoops wrote: »
    Max from Hollyoaks

Haha oh dear - another one I would also agree with. This was when Hollyoaks were at their best. Max and O.B are certainly two of my favourite characters in the shows history and their double act and friendship reminds me so much of me and my one of my mates. The scene itself was so unexpected at the time and is very sad indeed. Yet at the same time the scene is brilliantly filmed, funny and the performances are amazing - who said people on Hollyoaks cannot act?? Imo Hollyoaks is the soap that does the best soap death scenes (the majority of the time).

I would also add:

Niall Rafferty (Barry Sloane) from Hollyoaks. Another character from when Hollyoaks were at their best and another great villain if he could be portrayed as that. The whole back-story and ongoing plot for this character is so sad and tragic you cannot help but feel for him despite all the bad things he has done and his death is just as tragic and as sad as his life - disowned by his family, his mother and the one woman he loves. His death scene is also spectacularly filmed/shot and very well acted, especially by Barry Sloane. Another character as proof that Hollyoaks can create and write sad, tragic and flawed characters and very good villains.

Stingray Timmins (Ben Nicholas) from Neighbours. For me its not the storyline leading up to it that’s sad it’s his final scene that is extremely sad as he passes away looking on to his family and friends partying and celebrating the return to health of his niece. This is then followed by the start of the next episode where the family and friends find his video recording of him saying goodbye etc - just so sad :cry:

Jack (Matthew Fox) from Lost. I liked the character to start with but went off him big time around the mid-point in the story but by the final series he turned it around and I really liked him again. His death for me was really sad (not least because it was the end of the series :cry:) but also because the acting (especially in the scene with Jorge Garcia - Hurley) is amazing, the way his death scene plays out is brilliantly written, edited and shot and the music as well heightens the emotion - just brilliant yet so sad :cry:

Charlie (Dominic Monaghan) from Lost. Anyone who watched this show knew it was coming as it had been referenced so many times in the lead up to it but to actually see it is heartbreaking. The whole lead up with Charlie saying goodbye to Hurley and Claire without them knowing, his whole list of the best experiences in his life, and him knowing he is going to sacrifice himself to save his friends and the woman he loves is so sad. The scenes between Charlie and Desmond (Henry Ian Cusack) are also some of the best of those final few episodes of that season and again the music is perfect if very sad :cry:

John Locke (Terry O' Quinn) from Lost. By no means the best death on the show but it was extremely shocking to see it especially for how and who killed him :eek:. The death also suits the character's storyline very well indeed imo. The character from the off was tragic and had many set-backs in his life and even in death this guy cannot get a break - his death was as tragic as his life :cry:. The scenes are also made better by the fact that the character and the other one present at his death are easily two of the best ones on the show and the acting is brilliant. The darkness of the scene also adds to the grimness and tragicness of the death imo.

Blackadder & Company from Blackadder Goes Forth. As with John Sullivan and Only Fools, Ben Elton and Richard Curtis manage to balance the comedy elements with the drama especially in this final series which is easily the show at its best. The final episode itself is so funny (and true) and leads up to that saddening moment where they all go over the top so well that you feel for these characters even though they are fictional. The saddest bit is when the end goes all slow motion (including the theme tune) and the scene fades to a field of poppies. The perfect ending to the series and a real tribute to those heroes that died in the war.

Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) from Doctor Who. After bringing show back with a bang and winning over many new fans (including myself) with his dark, haunted but humouress portrayal of the Doctor it was sad to see Eccleston and his Doc go after just one series :( and even though technically the character does not die he changes the "death" of the ninth doctor is so sad and the lead up in his final episode is fantastic. The whole end scene in the TARDIS leading up to the regeneration is perfectly acted, filmed and written and it’s very sad to see him go. His final words are also very fitting for his version of the character, much better than Tennant's and the writing is easily Russell T. Davies at his best while he was on the show.

Ray Carling (Dean Andrews) & Chris Skelton (Marshall Lancaster) from Ashes To Ashes. Spoiler concerning the plot may follow............ All of the deaths in Ashes To Ashes are sad but to me the deaths of Ray and Chris are the most tragic in the show and in relation to both Ashes and Life On Mars. This is because we always thought them as these good coppers trying to keep the streets clean and especially for the best part of the shows we thought them as side-kicks/background characters to Gene/Sam/Alex etc but really they are just as complex and deep as those other characters. Ray's death in particular is very sad as I, like him, have issues regarding my father especially my father's views on the career path that I have chosen. Then you have Chris who has been this bubbling idiot for the majority of the shows and once you see his death you understand why and that too is very sad :cry:. On top of this you have the brilliant acting from Marshall and Dean in those scenes, the tragic way they see their fates and the lighting and smallness of the office manage to add to the sad nature of the scenes.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Spartacus having to kill Varro on 'Spartacus - Blood and Sand' Just because of the emotion that Andy Whitfield (Spartacus) and Jai Courtney (Varro) put into it ...

An odd choice maybe, but I love an emotional man, especially when he's gorgeous! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I agree with the previous posts about ER. Dr. Pratt & Dr. Greene :(
    Also Elliot's wife in Holby City.

2 more to add to the list:
    Selena's death in Casualty, when her newborn baby died shortly after she did. so sad
    Lorna's suicide in Waterloo Road, the early days with Tom and Izzie there too :(
  • HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Does Jim Davidson count ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Technically not deaths but all Doctor Who:

1.Rose Tyler is confirmed dead in the doctor's universe and has to say goodbye, and he doesn't get a chance to say I love you.

2.Donna Noble's mind has to be wiped of all the wonderful things she did with the Doctor, to save her from dying and he can never speak to her again, or she'll die.

3. When David Tennant's Doctor had to sacrifice his own life to save Wilf. Thought it was fitting that he was reluctant to do so because the audience wanted him to live too. Thought it was cruel to think he would survive before Wilf's 4 knocks. I'll always remember 'I don't want to go'.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenny Henry. Last night. Dying on his arse with his new 'comedy' show.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morse in Morse when Lewis kissed his body in the morgue.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not people but the greatest impact of deaths I have seen. BBC1 had a series about the work of the RSPCA. The final scene of one programme was one of their staff unloading dogs that had been put down from the back of his van for incineration - they were all in black plastic bags but it was obvious what was in the bags. When the BBC1 Scotland continuity announcer came on after the programme she was in tears and could barely read out the details of the next programme.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Lenny Henry. Last night. Dying on his arse with his new 'comedy' show.

For "dying" in that context, surely no one has equalled Gervais when he had to fill in for a couple of minutes at a charity concert and was completely lost without something scripted. I think someone else had to come on and ad lib because he could not.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall a BBC documentary about a vet, and the last few minutes concerned a loved family dog being put to sleep, the camera lingered on the dog and his owner as it peacefully breathed its last... then the titles came up.
    This was where the BBC Scotland continuity announcer should have announced the next trail, it was obvious she had been watching the pooch's last moments...........she could hardly speak for sobbing. Poor lass.

I remember that, they played a song about pain and sorrow as the credits rolled, sung by Barbara Dickson. - I think it was a BBC Scotland programme.

The song was called Time After Time, about mans inhumanty to animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLv-I_PxjUI
  • ofniofni Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, one of the most shock-emotional moments in (fictional) TV history has to be the end of Blackadder Goes Forth when they went "over the top" (presumably to certain death) and the scene dissolved to a field of poppies - as I realised it was being shown just before Remembrance Sunday.

Such an astounding contrast to all the funny business which had preceded it merely highlighted the cruel joke which was the carnage of WWI.

I know that the dramatic device of descending from the sublime to the ridiculous is called bathos. Does anyone know what the reverse process is called, because that's what this incredible few moments was.
  • ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stanley Ogden.
    Hilda crying as she put Stans spectacles away brought a tear to my eye.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    uberman wrote: »
    Stanley Ogden.
    Hilda crying as she put Stans spectacles away brought a tear to my eye.

Agreed, much the same as the demise of Minnie Caldwell's cat Bobby, though the body was never recovered.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enzuigiri wrote: »
    Following on from the movie thread of the same name.
    Started this as I wanted to give credit to two of the most poignant TV Deaths ever.
    1. The last scene of Blackadder Goes Forth when they all go 'over the top'
    2. Victor Meldrew in the last ever 'One Foot In The Grave'.
    Brilliant TV moments.

Hated that foot in the gracve episode they didnt need to kill him off they should of just left it alone.

Sadest death I dunno cant really think of one. Does Short Circuit 2 cound at the end where he is dying before coming back to life?

If not then for me was finding out Pro Wrestler Owen hart had been killed on Live TV. That was pretty shocking watching that PPV and it being announced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jan Meyer in Forbrydelsen - sobbed and sobbed. And another vote for Dr Greene in ER, heartbreaking. Saw it again recently and still blubbed.
  • I Trust in God.I Trust in God. Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thames Television.
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spooks has racked up quite a few sad and shocking deaths: Colin, Jo, Danny and, especially, Ros and Adam.

All spooks deaths are sad and potentially shocking. I think the most shocking was season 1 episode 2, where they killed off a main character 2 episodes in, in that infamous deep fat fryer incident.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Many from Lost, they were fantastic at death scenes. Especially:

Charlie - one of my favourite TV characters of all time... and just at the point where you were convinced he really had cheated death against all the odds. I found it unbearably sad, especially the look on his face when the penny dropped (pardon the pun). And the music where they play the death theme just as he realises. :'(

Sun and Jin - so unexpected and characters we had followed for 6 years, and they died in the most tragic way, leaving their daughter an orphan... when Jin tells Sun he's going to stay with her, as he can't live without her, was so moving.

Jack - because it brought such a finality to the series. I cried absolutely buckets during the final sequence, and anyone who's seen it understands why the last few shots are so powerful to so many people, even if they don't agree!

Also outside of Lost:

Nana - The Royle Family
    Jack Duckworth - Corrie
    Molly Dobbs - Corrie

Did anyone watch "The Street"? The last episode with Timothy Spall's wife...god, that was horrendous to watch. :(