What would clubs these days think of the old Intertoto cup

jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Clubs these days moan about having to play in the Europa League these days, how would they feel if the Intertoto cup was still running, where if you finished outside the European position you could apply to enter the Intertoto.

Would any clubs actually apply to enter it these days, with most managers not taking the Europa League seriously, the Intertoto meant more fixtures during Pre Season, I remember Bradford taking part in it, when they were a Prem League side, think they played Zenit, which had a very young Andrei Arshavin playing for them.

It was either Wimbledon or Tottenham, who actually went and loaned players to take part in there campaign one season if I remember correctly

Comments

• Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    Was it scrapped because teams couldn't be bothered to take the competition seriously?

I suspect it would get in the away of their marketing/PR trip to the Far East or America now..

Quite a few big teams played in it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Intertoto_Cup
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Was it scrapped because teams couldn't be bothered to take the competition seriously?

I suspect it would get in the away of their marketing/PR trip to the Far East or America now..

It was scrapped, and in replace of that, more clubs were entered into the expanded Europa League qualifying so says Wikipedia.

But I regularly remember the club finishing like 9th would get through, and like I say I remember one season Bradford got in that way, and the only season they stayed up they finished 17 so im confused
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say it as if the Intertoto cup was a ye olde times competition. Clubs moaning about fixtures has been going on for years.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    You say it as if the Intertoto cup was a ye olde times competition. Clubs moaning about fixtures has been going on for years.

True - particularly in this country but it was a good chance to get into European for those who did treat the competition with respect.

Think Bradford got through via the Fair-play system...
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few teams used to decline entering. Palace qualified by finishing bottom which I hadn't realised

It was a lot of work just to get into the UEFA Cup (though thats when the UEFA Cup was decent)
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Quite a few teams used to decline entering. Palace qualified by finishing bottom which I hadn't realised

It was a lot of work just to get into the UEFA Cup (though thats when the UEFA Cup was decent)

Didn't a lot of people call it in inter two bob cup, I made this thread this morning, as it came into my head, and wondered what views would be
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the only thing Newcastle has won in the last 45 years (won it in 2006 I think) but it's still not mentioned so that shows how highly thought of it is.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    It's the only thing Newcastle has won in the last 45 years (won it in 2006 I think) but it's still not mentioned so that shows how highly thought of it is.

A delighted Newcastle captain, Scott Parker with the prestigious....erm certificate
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    A delighted Newcastle captain, Scott Parker with the prestigious....erm certificate

If only. They cared that much about it they dragged a fan into accepting it for them :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/6431299.stm
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i remember when playing in europe was special, now unless its champions league its worthless to some fans.

not me though im glad to say, the europa is great to watch imo.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing has really changed though man United will probably need two rounds to get to the Europa league group stages if they finish high enough.

For anyone who gets in via fair play it's four rounds