Options

The 12 year old Shopaholic... - Channel 5

2»

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,591
    Forum Member
    g4jc wrote: »
    They all seem to use possessions or how much cash is spent as a measure of their own worth. Wonder if this is how they will grade other humans? Got the feeling they regarded themselves/others as different life forms.

Tragic, children learning so early to shift blame, "I don't force her/him" when talking about their parents.

Even the parents, buying their children's love and simply not taking any responsiblity for themselves "That's just the way I am" etc. Oh yes and so very touching - 'I'm in arrears with my rent but have bought a pony' (Ok I've paraphrased bit >:( ) Just wait till you get the vet bills in :o never mind 'all the rest'

I felt at times the parents really did not know what to do or how to be involved with their children. Seemed as there was no play, no friends, just fill the time in by throwing money at them.

Just watched this and I thought the same thing.

There was no love with their children from what I saw just buying the affection which lasted till the next present was brought.

Awful spoilt brats and like others have said .. where does all the money come from? They must be in debt up and over their heads.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    The couple in rent arrears buying a pony and all that expensive stuff for it! For a start, having owned a couple of horses (nag types, not thorougbreds and not till I was in my thirties), they obviously hadn't bothered to find out anything about the horse world. Kids of her age don't wear long riding boots for any event they enter - they wear short leather jodhpur boots. But if thrown out of an event because of it, the parents will say (as I've heard many times), "But I've only just bought them!" The horse world has many daft rules, but if you're going into it, you need to learn them. That couple looked and sounded like they'd do what they want regardless of rules (or common sense). And the sequinned evening dresses for pageants! Please let her be a child with friends. Mum admitting there was no food in the fridge! I do hope they get evicted - it might just be a wake-up call.

The woman with three jobs seemed to spend all her money on the fat older girl while the younger one seemed to get left out. That older girl is in for a real shock when she gets older. Doesn't look like she has any friends now, and as for the mention that she's self-concious of her body image! Get off your backside, get out and do some exercise instead of lusting after those clothes you don't even take the tags off!

The whole programme made my blood boil.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why buy so many expensive clothes for a child, when they just grow out of them so very quickly?? It just seem rather pointless!

You might as well just get the money and put it down the nearest drain, as that is precisely what you are doing!

There is a right way to bring up children, and then there is this sort of way, which is wrong in every single way.

Giving into children's demands, just ruins them for a life after childhood, what happens when they have to get their first minimum wage job? They won't be able to afford all this nice stuff then, and they will soon realise how pointless it all is!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why buy so many expensive clothes for a child, when they just grow out of them so very quickly?? It just seem rather pointless!

You might as well just get the money and put it down the nearest drain, as that is precisely what you are doing!

There is a right way to bring up children, and then there is this sort of way, which is wrong in every single way.

Giving into children's demands, just ruins them for a life after childhood, what happens when they have to get their first minimum wage job? They won't be able to afford all this nice stuff then, and they will soon realise how pointless it all is!
    They'll just get cards or so-called pay-day loans. Getting into debt obviously means nothing to the parents so it won't to the children.
  • Options
    kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member

What on earth would you know about raising a child, d'ya fancy giving women advice on how to give birth next?

You're in your 30's and as far as far as I've seen your parents/mum still pay for your sports subscriptions, you have been given a house and probably everything else, do you even pay rent, when was the last time you had to work a minimum wage job?

Nothing wrong with that per se, but when you start lecturing others in a sort of know all patronising manner about how a child should or shouldn't be raised you make yourself look like a total clown.

Seriously, a grown man who seemingly can't even commute after dark, who has/gets given everything by his parents is sat there in his ivory tower lecturing people on how to raise a child or what real life is like, you have absolutely no understanding or concept of what real life is like for people beyond persuading your mother to add BT Sports to your TV subscriptions.

Can't believe what I just read.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Batdude, as a child did you not ever badger your parents for anything, not even once.

Because if your answer is no, im sorry I don't believe you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    The couple in rent arrears buying a pony and all that expensive stuff for it! For a start, having owned a couple of horses (nag types, not thorougbreds and not till I was in my thirties), they obviously hadn't bothered to find out anything about the horse world. Kids of her age don't wear long riding boots for any event they enter - they wear short leather jodhpur boots. But if thrown out of an event because of it, the parents will say (as I've heard many times), "But I've only just bought them!" The horse world has many daft rules, but if you're going into it, you need to learn them. That couple looked and sounded like they'd do what they want regardless of rules (or common sense). And the sequinned evening dresses for pageants! Please let her be a child with friends. Mum admitting there was no food in the fridge! I do hope they get evicted - it might just be a wake-up call.

The woman with three jobs seemed to spend all her money on the fat older girl while the younger one seemed to get left out. That older girl is in for a real shock when she gets older. Doesn't look like she has any friends now, and as for the mention that she's self-concious of her body image! Get off your backside, get out and do some exercise instead of lusting after those clothes you don't even take the tags off!

The whole programme made my blood boil.

Agree with you 100%. I am an ex horse owner and no way do you have to pay that much for yourself/child or for the horse/pony.
  • Options
    Forum Member

BIB. That was proved with that girl getting rid of clothes she had never even worn >:(

These children will be in for a shock once they have to stand on their own 2 feet unless mummy and daddy have a massive account for them for the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Batdude, as a child did you not ever badger your parents for anything, not even once.

Because if your answer is no, im sorry I don't believe you.
    As a child I tried badgering my parents for things, but I didn't get them. They didn't have the money and certainly wouldn't have got into debt - I wouldn't have wanted them to. I still had a great deal of love and respect for my parents - more than I would have had if they had given in to my every whim.