Something wrong with the car or my driving?

DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I just got my first car (after 15 months of passing my test and not haven driven in between at all) so I'm a little rusty to say the least.

I got a Manual Ford Fiesta Finesse 2005 and generally get on with it. The only problems I am having is with reversing.

Three times now I have been reversing (so obviously handbreak is off and it's in the right gear) and it will just stop, dead in its tracks, doesn't matter how much adjustment on the clutch or accelerator, it refuses to go anywhere, I have to put it in first and move forward a little, then try reversing again. I thought maybe this was because I was reversing very slowly?

The third time which just happened was the worst. The steering wheel completely locked up, and everytime I tried to reverse it just went forward! I made sure about 3 times it was in reverse and it was definitely in gear. Then even going forward the wheel was incredibly stiff/almost locked and would stop. I had to keep stopping and starting the car to eventually get it going, once it was it was fine.

Am I doing something wrong or is it the car???

If it is me I never did this once during my year of learning with my instructor (in a new Ford Fiesta).

Comments

• tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Dynopia wrote: »
    So I just got my first car (after 15 months of passing my test and not haven driven in between at all) so I'm a little rusty to say the least.

I got a Manual Ford Fiesta Finesse 2005 and generally get on with it. The only problems I am having is with reversing.

Three times now I have been reversing (so obviously handbreak is off and it's in the right gear) and it will just stop, dead in its tracks, doesn't matter how much adjustment on the clutch or accelerator, it refuses to go anywhere, I have to put it in first and move forward a little, then try reversing again. I thought maybe this was because I was reversing very slowly?

The third time which just happened was the worst. The steering wheel completely locked up, and everytime I tried to reverse it just went forward! I made sure about 3 times it was in reverse and it was definitely in gear. Then even going forward the wheel was incredibly stiff/almost locked and would stop. I had to keep stopping and starting the car to eventually get it going, once it was it was fine.

Just get a friend or family member who drive to try to reverse it, if they can then that would point to your driving being the problem, if they have the same problem would seem to be a fault with the car.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Just get a friend or family member who drive to try to reverse it, if they can then that would point to your driving being the problem, if they have the same problem would seem to be a fault with the car.

But I can reverse ok sometimes? I'm not doing anything different on these occasions.
    Forum Member
    But I can reverse ok sometimes? I'm not doing anything different on these occasions.

Well you could get family or friend to sit in the car with you and you do so reversing moves, either way it can hurt as it will help out either way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you could get family or friend to sit in the car with you and you do so reversing moves, either way it can hurt as it will help out either way.

Yeah, my dad is having his friend come over tomorrow and have a go with it, see if he can see anything.

Fact of the matter is tho if I have ever made a mistake like stalled or something, I start the engine up and off I go again. It's never taken me about 5 attempts to get a car moving no matter what I do, with the steering locked up, it just felt like something was majorly off with the car.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, my dad is having his friend come over tomorrow and have a go with it, see if he can see anything.

Fact of the matter is tho if I have ever made a mistake like stalled or something, I start the engine up and off I go again. It's never taken me about 5 attempts to get a car moving no matter what I do, with the steering locked up, it just felt like something was majorly off with the car.

Dont forget your car is nearly 10 years old, as you said you learnt to drive in a new Ford Fiesta). so there will be differances between the 2 cars, just because of the age and being taught in a newer model which things will have been designed with more modern engine gearbox cluch, al these things can make a differance, even more so when you are a new driver who has only driven 1 type or make of car
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont forget your car is nearly 10 years old, as you said you learnt to drive in a new Ford Fiesta). so there will be differances between the 2 cars, just because of the age and being taught in a newer model which things will have been designed with more modern engine gearbox cluch, al these things can make a differance, even more so when you are a new driver who has only driven 1 type or make of car

Well, a part of me hopes it IS me, so that I can see where I'm going wrong and correct it. Another part of me hopes it's the car so I don't feel so paranoid about going out in it and and get it fixed.

This has been such a stressful experience.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    and everytime I tried to reverse it just went forward! I made sure about 3 times it was in reverse and it was definitely in gear.

If it goes forward then its obviously not in reverse gear ! I don't know the layout of the gear selector but maybe you are putting it in 4th gear not reverse.
  • brentfordpetebrentfordpete Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I've got a Fiesta Finesse as well, 2003 model
    I find that finding reverse gear sometimes isnt that easy - it just doesn't seem to 'take' if that makes sense.

The gear stick needs an extra bit of a shove to get into reverse.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My old fiesta sometimes didn't go into reverse properly, even with the gearstick in the right position it wasn't always right and I would have to take it out of gear again and make sure it really went into place with a bit of force. Were you on any kind of incline? Perhaps the car was rolling forwards when you took your foot off the brake?

It would also slip out of gear if it wasn't pushed in far enough, that may be why yours stops?

I can't think of an explanation for the third thing you mention though, that sounds odd.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen brentfordpete's post above mine, that's what I'm talking about too. I also had a finesse 2003 model.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Is there anything near the top of the gear stick that you can lift up to enable getting into reverse, some cars have this ... I don't know about yours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If it is me I never did this once during my year of learning with my instructor (in a new Ford Fiesta).

BIB - From that it sounds like your front wheel is hitting something (kerb maybe). this is stopping you going back & the forward motion when you try is the tyre bouncing off whatever you are up against.
  • Black BoxBlack Box Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mean to be rude OP, but how did you even get a driving licence? You shouldn't be allowed to be in control of a car judging by the lack of knowledge in your posts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Box wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude OP, but how did you even get a driving licence? You shouldn't be allowed to be in control of a car judging by the lack of knowledge in your posts.
    Very unfair.

Obviously he deserved to pass his test and the vast majority of people on the road haven't got any knowledge at all regarding how cars work.

The only thing he hasn't got is experience and we all start like that.

We haven't driven the car.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh, it sounds like a fault with the car to me, maybe something to do with gear linkage wearing out.
    Also the other posts appearing to mirror the same or similar thing.

.....I might be reading this wrong, but it sounds as if the steering lock is activating when the engine cuts out....is this correct...thing is the ignition would still be on so the steering lock shouldn't activate - that should only happen when removing the key.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Tbh, it sounds like a fault with the car to me, maybe something to do with gear linkage wearing out.
    Also the other posts appearing to mirror the same or similar thing.

.....I might be reading this wrong, but it sounds as if the steering lock is activating when the engine cuts out....is this correct...thing is the ignition would still be on so the steering lock shouldn't activate - that should only happen when removing the key.

I was just going to ask the OP whether the engine is actually cutting out when the car is not going anywhere, or is the engine running? It's not clear from the post.

OP please could you clarify?

If the engine is cutting out, it might just be that the steering wheel feels stiff because of the lack of power steering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O yes, with the engine off the steering will be heavy. How much depends on the design or type of power steering used on your car. Older systems rely purely in hydraulics and if the engine cuts out its going to be very heavy. On many modern cars inc my one its part hydraulic part electric steering, so without the engine the steering is still more heavy than normal but not as bad as with hydraulic only steering. More and more cars are now using electric only steering and the motor for it will be on with the ignition nothing relying on the engine, so would still be ok if the engine stalled (ignition still on).

Obviously if everything is off, ignition switched off, the steering wheel will be very heavy regardless of which system your car uses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be an idea to have a look on google or YouTube to see if others are reporting same problem.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Quick look on google says its probably the gearbox.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

OP,
    1 Just do as Tim says.
    2 Ignore Black Box.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Box wrote: »

Well since you know it all, why don't you share some of your superior knowledge with the OP to help them?

Oh wait, you can't, because you haven't got a clue either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    I was just going to ask the OP whether the engine is actually cutting out when the car is not going anywhere, or is the engine running? It's not clear from the post.

OP please could you clarify?

If the engine is cutting out, it might just be that the steering wheel feels stiff because of the lack of power steering.

I turned the engine on and off about 5 times, at all times the steering was very stuff.

Thank you to all the replies everyone, My dad had his friend have a look and we drove around and it seems to be ok, I'm just going to have to keep an eye on it I guess!!
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you to all the replies everyone, My dad had his friend have a look and we drove around and it seems to be ok, I'm just going to have to keep an eye on it I guess!!
    Keep an eye on what though?
    You asked if it was the car or your driving.
    The car appears to be ok, so ....... who's keeping an eye on you? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drove one of these when new, a 2006 diseasel and it was a pain to get into reverse, some cars are. Sometimes it can help selecting 5th then reverse (obviously keep the clutch pedal pressed down). Gearboxes with a syncromesh on reverse are nice, but rare (eliminates that problem).

The steering problem will almost certainly be unrelated to the gearbox, but it's hard to understand what you mean. IIRC these have hydraulic power steering, is there a squeeking/squealing noise when pulling away? I'm thinking a slipping aux belt affecting the amount of assistance the power steering is giving, though this is a complete guess.

You really shouldn't see THAT much difference between driving a ten year old Fiesta and a new one, it's not like we're talking going from a 1950s car with crash gearbox and the like. I still think of these as modern cars!
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    I drove one of these when new, a 2006 diseasel and it was a pain to get into reverse, some cars are.

This is likely to be the cause of most of the OP's problems.

He thinks that he has selected reverse gear but the gear hasn't properly engaged, or it engages initially but then slips out of reverse and back into neutral.

The "locking" of the steering is harder to diagnose without a clearer description.