Multi-region overlaps

Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 729
Forum Member
✭✭
In parts of the Fens it is possible to receive Sandy Heath (BBC East / ITV Anglia), Waltham (BBC East Midlands / ITV Central) and Belmont (BBC East Yorks & Lincs / ITV Yorkshire) although on most rooftops you would be unlikely to see more than 2 aerials. Are there any other three-region overlap areas (under normal reception conditions)? Parts of Cheshire maybe?

Comments

• DigifreakDigifreak Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    South Essex is a good area, as you get absolute clear reception from Bluebell Hill over in Kent (the towers of which can be seen from the South Essex seafront), and news coverage from Meridian South East is thrown in to boot (but not the BBC). You can get reception just about as far as Havering where I live.

Also (and judging from the aerials) most people opt for Crystal Palace, as South Essex tends to have more affinity with London, as it is commuter-land and both BBC and ITV London news includes South Essex generally.

Thirdly, in most of South Essex (though a bit more in land really) you can get reception from Sudbury, for which news coverage has been known to cover as far to Brentwood. I find getting the East regions impossible where I live.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,731
    Forum Member
    When I lived in Kidlington in the analogue days - I could get:
    Oxford - Central TV/ATV
    Hannington - TVS/Southern
    Crystal Palace - Thames/LWT
    Sandy Heath - Anglia

In those days ITV was truly regional so you could have quite different schedules on each.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walt Ham wrote: »
    In parts of the Fens it is possible to receive Sandy Heath (BBC East / ITV Anglia), Waltham (BBC East Midlands / ITV Central) and Belmont (BBC East Yorks & Lincs / ITV Yorkshire) although on most rooftops you would be unlikely to see more than 2 aerials. Are there any other three-region overlap areas (under normal reception conditions)? Parts of Cheshire maybe?

I would imagine there are parts of Cheshire that could possibly get Moel Y Parc, Winter Hill and either the Wrekin or Sutton Coldfield.
  • GOGGLES109GOGGLES109 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Here in Swindon I get BBC1 West from Mendip and BBC1 Oxford from Oxford but no ITV Meridian from Oxford most probably due to interference from 4G on UHF Ch 61. as the Multiplex which carried ITV etc is on Ch 60. Shame really do miss Fred Dineage waving goodbye to his audience after the local news finishes.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My aerial is in the loft it points to London can get London Live plus the signals from Sudbury and Dover also BH even.
    The BBC News HD channels comes up on my TV but does not work most the time.
    At least most the others are OK signal.
    I find best signals from CP on channels like Realy and Dave & Pick TV.
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kings Lynn gets FOUR http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/PE30+1JW/corn/0/NA
    BBC East(E), BBC East (W), BBC Yorks& Lincs and BBC East Mids.

Parts of the Isle of Man get FOUR (assuming Scotland in HD works)...
    http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/IM7+5AQ/church/0/NA
    Granada/BBC Manchester - Northern Ireland - Border / BBC Newcastle - Scotland

Worksop gets Belmont, Emley, Waltham and Bilsdale in some parts. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/S81+0RS/post/0/NA

There are many, many places like this... just think about the transmitter network and find a suitable postcode to pop into the predictor.
  • JezRJezR Posts: 1,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents in Leicester get reception of Waltham, Sutton Coldfield and Belmont from a single aerial, including the 'local' Nottingham MUX. Although a few years old fortunately their TV follows a 'strongest signal' tuning method, otherwise an automatic tuning would be all over the place.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Digifreak wrote: »
    South Essex is a good area, as you get absolute clear reception from Bluebell Hill over in Kent (the towers of which can be seen from the South Essex seafront), and news coverage from Meridian South East is thrown in to boot (but not the BBC). You can get reception just about as far as Havering where I live.

Also (and judging from the aerials) most people opt for Crystal Palace, as South Essex tends to have more affinity with London, as it is commuter-land and both BBC and ITV London news includes South Essex generally.

Thirdly, in most of South Essex (though a bit more in land really) you can get reception from Sudbury, for which news coverage has been known to cover as far to Brentwood. I find getting the East regions impossible where I live.

Bluebell Hill carries BBC South East Today as regional news programme, so should be available alongside Meridian News in most of South Essex.

The Rouncefall transmitter near Wickford was launched at digital switchover to improve reception of BBC East/ITV Anglia in parts of South Essex, but not towards London.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOGGLES109 wrote: »
    Here in Swindon I get BBC1 West from Mendip and BBC1 Oxford from Oxford but no ITV Meridian from Oxford most probably due to interference from 4G on UHF Ch 61. as the Multiplex which carried ITV etc is on Ch 60. Shame really do miss Fred Dineage waving goodbye to his audience after the local news finishes.

If you could pick up the BBC B MUX and the HD channels with it form Oxford then you would be able to get ITV Meridian HD.
  • DigifreakDigifreak Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    Bluebell Hill carries BBC South East Today as regional news programme, so should be available alongside Meridian News in most of South Essex.

BBC South East is available alongside ITV Meridian in South Essex. What I was referring to was the local news programmes. ITV Meridian SE news does cover south Essex, as I have often seen stories about Southend and Basildon, but unlike Meridian News, BBC South East news does not cover South Essex (at least not according to Wikipedia or from what I have seen. Instead it's covered by BBC London).
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    JezR wrote: »
    My parents in Leicester get reception of Waltham, Sutton Coldfield and Belmont from a single aerial, including the 'local' Nottingham MUX. Although a few years old fortunately their TV follows a 'strongest signal' tuning method, otherwise an automatic tuning would be all over the place.

In parts of South Nottinghamshire it is possible to get reception from these three transmitters from one aerial (on a good day and only the strongest multiplexes).
  • gwrbristolgwrbristol Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At my parents in Yeovil, with one aerial pointing at Mendip they get BBC West, BBC South West. The tv in the spare room often makes a break for independence and tunes in to BBC Wales.

They have 'local' news covered from Anglesey to Guernsey!
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to an ITV Sales Map I have, the recognised 'three region' areas are:

A small area of the Fens north of Peterborough inc. Spalding & Grantham (Anglia / Central / Yorkshire)

An area around Reading / South Oxfordshire (London / Meridian / Central)

Far South East Essex north from Southend to the Blackwater Estuary (London / Anglia / Meridian)

Of course there are other places where you could get three regions, but these are the ones where the average viewer probably has an equal chance of receiving any of the three.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An area around Reading / South Oxfordshire (London / Meridian / Central)

Yes, as I lad I lived just to the SW of Reading, and we had three UHF aerials,
    Hannington (Southern TV), Crystal Palace (Thames/LWT) and Oxford (ATV).

I remember watching Tiswas, when it started out only as a local ATV programme :D
  • Walt HamWalt Ham Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to an ITV Sales Map I have, the recognised 'three region' areas are:

A small area of the Fens north of Peterborough inc. Spalding & Grantham (Anglia / Central / Yorkshire)

Not sure how ITV would claim Grantham for the Anglia region, unless we're talking pre-the 1974(?) switch of Belmont from Anglia to Yorkshire. Sandy Heath (Anglia) doesn't get much further north beyond Peterborough and Spalding is on its limit.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    I remember watching Tiswas, when it started out only as a local ATV programme :D
    Ah, Sally James in those leather trousers. Every teenage boy's dream. :D
  • marbles333marbles333 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm from Wrexham, where Winter Hill (Granada), Wrekin (Central), Wrexham-Rhos (Wales) and occasionally Sutton Coldfield (Central) are easily available. Moel-y-Parc is generally blocked by Hope Mountain.

Now living in Colwyn Bay, in the hot weather, we occasionally receive Emley Moor (Yorkshire) in Winter Hill's line of sight!
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    Ah, Sally James in those leather trousers. Every teenage boy's dream. :D

It's probably why I have to wear glasses now. :D

Sally James, pre Tiswas, was the presenter of LWT's Saturday morning show, Saturday Scene I think it was called (Not that I was stalking her round the ITV regions !)
  • upthemaggiesupthemaggies Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    In analogue days at the Northern edge of Nottingham city, fairly high up on a hill, I could get Central (Sutton Coldfield and the local relay), Yorkshire (Belmont and Emley Moor) and Tyne Tees (Bilsdale). With atmospherics I could also pick up HTV Wales (Moel y Parc).

I can't get a digital signal from Bilsdale, which was very weak on analogue as it was battling to come through with The Wrekin on the same frequency and so it was normally a snowy picture in black & white with lots of interference.
  • BearboydaveBearboydave Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I'm on the Cheshire / Shropshire border - The Wrekin, Winter Hill and Moel all fly in, including the HDs, usually just with a Granada aeriel. With an aerial pointing towards it Emley Moor is generally ok if preferred - in the analogue days it came in on many Granada aerials side-on. A friend of mine lives on a hill in Staffs (Werrington) and is blitzed with signals - she cheerfully admits to having no idea where some of them come from!
  • tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am in Wickford were in the past we were all getting TV from Crystal Palace ( London ) with Thames TV and LWT at weekend from Friday evenings then Thames was taken off and Carlton took over..
    A few people got view Anglia at good times ( weathers etc. )
    But over time with the buildings here and around London some were pushed to go over to Bluebell Hill transmitter and we saw a growth second or third aerials on roofs and this was down too that people started to get TV in bedrooms.
    Then in mid 1998 I got news that testing for DTT, so at the end of October 1998 I got hold of the first boxes ( Phillips ) and by 3rd November I got to see the testing and I got free sky movies, Carlton cinema etc at times and 0n 7pm Sunday 15th November 1998 came the big switch on. I then started my testing to find which transmitters I could pick up from my home over time it switched from London & Bluebell hill mainly as Anglia DTT was so low powered like all DTT was for years ....SO I have always had two regions and DTT is built with EPG that allows this at 800's
    I now have two main transmitters of London & Bluebell Hill but now I have Anglia light with Rouncefall transmitter but I do have them coming into different TV's or boxes .

Multi regional TV is around on Freesat, Sky and Virgin too these days BUT sadly ITV regions are slowly joining together with more shows aired at the same time so regional TV is not as it was ....

will be nice to see this year the BBC regional in England get plus hour channel like ITV, Ch4 & Ch5 and hope this bring on regional HD too.
    Also Com 8 to go live, which is a year behind com7 which has only four more years to the contact to bring Ch5 HD along with Film4 HD.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvmad-alan wrote: »
    BUT sadly ITV regions are slowly joining together with more shows aired at the same time so regional TV is not as it was ....
    That's history and happened many years ago.
  • mill9mill9 Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here in Horsham I get Crystal Palace and Midhurst and in the early days of UHF only had LWT / Thames before the local transmitter came on air. In the 405 lines days I could get Chiltern Down / Rowridge, Crystal Palace / Croydon and Membury (ATV) where I too found Tiswas when it was only shown in the Midlands. It then came in colour on LWT first in this area. The Membury signal was weak but very watchable. I went on holiday once to Herne Bay and using a portable TV on UHF could get Anglia / London / TVS regions. Of course today can get all BBC / ITV regions on satellite and do watch X-Ray on BBC One Wales. New series starts next Monday!
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my uni halls (north west Nottingham) an indoor tv aerial gave you Emley Moor (Yorkshire), Nottingham (Central East), Belmont (Yorks & Lincs), and Sutton Coldfield (Central West) - although to be fair only Nottingham gave "perfect" picture (the others we watchable). When I got a cable to use the socket in the room I found it was Nottingham and Waltham only (Central East).

At one of my student digs the roof aerial (aligned on Sutton Coldfield) gave you Sutton Coldfield (Central West), Nottingham (Central East), Stanton Moor (Central East), Belmont (Yorks and Lincs), Waltham (Central East) - and over on the then new Freeview Central East from Nottingham and Waltham, Central West from Sutton Coldfield, and a hint of a signal from Belmont.

The house I was in the previous year (just round the corner butdown hill) on the other hand could only get Nottingham, and the one I was in before that Lichfield (i.e. only Channel 5 :eek: - fortunatly we had a spare NTL port and just connected the aerial cable to that which ran round the house giving us Look North and YTV and a fuzzy East Midlands version of BBC ONE and ITV - annoyingly FM gave you Lincs FM and Galaxy on 102.2 depending which way you pointed the aerial!)

Waltham and/or Nottingham, Sutton Coldfield, and Belmont is far from uncommon round here - and most TV's have some channels in the 800s even if they are intermittent.
  • mrdtvmrdtv Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since DSO here in high NW London we get Hannington (all muxes) all the time although E39 drops out in lift conditions. In lift conditions we get Mendip as well. Over at Highgate at the top they get Bluebell Hill, Sudbury, a bit of Oxford, Midhurst and CP. Not bad for the highest parts of London. Manual tuning is essential otherwise Sally Taylor commandeers the 1830 BBC1 news!