Options

car park collision

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
yesterday as i parked my car in asda car park, a car tried to park right next to me in a rush, my rear passenger opened the door (seeing no car) which scratched his rear quarter wing as he was reversing. Who s fault is that? Is it 50/50? Thank you for all the advise I can possibly get

Comments

• Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have thought it would depend on the relative position of the cars at the time your passenger opened the door. If the other car hadn't begun their manoeuvre, it would be the fault of that driver.

On the other hand, if the car was nearly into the space, it would be the fault of the passenger for not checking.

Any position between those two fault would be arguable.

What do you mean by "seeing no car"? It wasn't there, or they didn't look?
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say 50:50. Certainly one should drive carefully into a parking space and expect someone to do something silly. But sadly, we're not all blessed with patience and common sense.

Having said that, my one and only driving offence back in 1974 was opening my door without looking as carefully as I should have. Because it happened across the road from a police station, the other driver was furious enough to get a copper out, who had to charge me under Constriction & Use Regs. I was fined £5 and got an endorsement.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I'd have thought it would depend on the relative position of the cars at the time your passenger opened the door. If the other car hadn't begun their manoeuvre, it would be the fault of that driver.

On the other hand, if the car was nearly into the space, it would be the fault of the passenger for not checking.

Any position between those two fault would be arguable.

What do you mean by "seeing no car"? It wasn't there, or they didn't look?

I'm not so sure. I think that its a bit fuzzy when one of the vehicles is stationery at the time of collision. If it was the passenger of the vehicle that was stationery, even more complex.

Traditionally, the moving vehicle is responsible for any collision with a stationery one.

Personally, I'd say 50/50 but its a grey area.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Traditionally, the moving vehicle is responsible for any collision with a stationery one.

True - the rules of origami are quite clear on this point. ;-)
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's either going to be 50/50 or the other drivers fault, even though really it should be your fault.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yesterday as i parked my car in asda car park, a car tried to park right next to me in a rush, my rear passenger opened the door (seeing no car) which scratched his rear quarter wing as he was reversing. Who s fault is that? Is it 50/50? Thank you for all the advise I can possibly get
    Your passenger did not look correctly. You didn't look to ensure they could alight safely.

The onus is on YOU, the car driver to ensure all your passengers can alight safely and without hindrance to other road users or pedestrians.

It's as simple as that.

It would be the same as your rear passenger opening their door into the path of a cyclist. 100% your fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    True - the rules of origami are quite clear on this point. ;-)

I'm on my smartphone, it auto corrected in error. Am normally so careful with that word too.

used to pass a shop on the way to work that had a sign stating it sold Stationary...it always annoyed me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    Your passenger did not look correctly. You didn't look to ensure they could alight safely.

The onus is on YOU, the car driver to ensure all your passengers can alight safely and without hindrance to other road users or pedestrians.

It's as simple as that.

It would be the same as your rear passenger opening their door into the path of a cyclist. 100% your fault.

Wrong! Stationary vehicles are rarely at fault in any collision with a moving one.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong! Stationary vehicles are rarely at fault in any collision with a moving one.
    E.g. If you were parked on the side of the road, and your passenger opened their door into the path of another vehicle YOUR vehicle (the driver) would be at fault.

It happened to a colleague of mine several years ago.

He was parked, his passenger in the offside rear opened the door fully, into the path of a moving vehicle. It ripped his door off, damaged the moving vehicle, the driver (my colleague) was sued for the damage. The 3rd party won, hands down.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The car was stationary but the door was not - it was moving. I suspect it will be considered 50:50, not least because it didn't take place on a road but in a (private?) car park.
  • Options
    fw750xfw750x Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    A person from were i work had someting similar happen to him.He had parked his car in a public park,It was on the roadway leading to the parking places "They were all filled and the additional cars were parked on the roadway" He had just put on the Hand brake and while taking the keys out his Small Daughter opened the car door just as another car was passing,Result a long scrape the full length of the other car,s side,He thought 50 _ 50 but the Insurers said no,He was totally in the wrong as his door hit the other car.
  • Options
    Malc LondonMalc London Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except when you open a door which hits another vehicle.

100% your fault from what I understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My understanding here is that a car door was opened into ehat was an empty car parking space(the door was open and no longer moving) and another car reversed into the space in a rush and didn't see it. Examples of car doors being opened on a road into the path of road users moving along the highway is irrelevant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I cannot see how a car can reverse so quickly into a parking space. IMO, the person that opened the door is completely at fault and the only reason there was 'no car seen' was because the person that opened the door didn't actually look.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Sorry, but I cannot see how a car can reverse so quickly into a parking space. IMO, the person that opened the door is completely at fault and the only reason there was 'no car seen' was because the person that opened the door didn't actually look.....

both scenarios are perfectly plausible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    both scenarios are perfectly plausible.

I guess. If the driver of the reversing car was doing a very well controlled backward handbrake donut.....
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the door had not been opened nothing would have happened...therefore it's down to the driver of the car that was stationery...what the other vehicle was doing, the direction it was going and at what speed is somewhat irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess. If the driver of the reversing car was doing a very well controlled backward handbrake donut.....

or, less dramatically, they position themselves to reverse into a space and do so at a speed that doesn't give them time to thoroughly check for obstructions or potential hazards.

it really isn't that difficult to see that possibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the door had not been opened nothing would have happened...therefore it's down to the driver of the car that was stationery...what the other vehicle was doing, the direction it was going and at what speed is somewhat irrelevant.

And if the other car hadn't been reversing, or neither cars had been there, or the supermarket wasn't there...it wouldn't have happened.

If a car door is obstructing ie already there and you don't see it, you are not absolved. The moving vehicle has a duty.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I would say if the door was opened and scratched the side of the moving car then it is the fault of the passenger/stationary car. They opened the door into the other car without looking and caused the damage.

However if the moving car drove into the already opened car door then it is the fault of the moving car, as then they are the ones who were not looking.

In this case it sounds like the first scenario is what happened.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member

No, YOU are wrong! My friend was found to be the one at fault when she had parked up and opened her car door on a cyclist who smashed into the door (and this was in England so am not talking Scots law just in case you are wondering).

A quick google tells you that the stationary driver is at fault too in this scenario.
  • Options
    michael37michael37 Posts: 2,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an offence to open a car door where it would cause a danger or collision (see Highway Code Rule 239) . For this reason it is generally the case that a collision caused by such would be considered to be the fault of the person opening the door. There will, of course be exceptions to that but I don't see that they would apply in this case.

To answer the OPS question, assuming the passenger was an adult the responsibility for the damage is likely to be down to your passenger, due to them opening the car door without checking that it was safe to do so. You will need to decide if you wish to ask your insurer to cover them (if you have a comprehensive policy it will) or leave them to compensate the owner of the other vehicle themselves. If the passenger was a child the responsibility is likely to fall to the driver of the vehicle.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm no 'legal eagle', but that would be my take on it too, i.e. didn't look.
    When I was a black cab driver it was "almost" always happening.
    I'd stop at the fare's destination, and they'd never bother to look, they'd just reach for the door handle.
    Fortunately, it's impossible to open the doors on a black cab while the footbrake is being applied.
    I'd always raise my voice and say, "WAIT." then release the brake when it was safe to open the door, or I'd say, "Can you get out kerbside please?"
    Mind you, they'd rarely look if they were getting out kerbside either, just open the door causing pedestrians to step aside to avoid being struck.
  • Options
    oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Hi

There is no such thing as50/50 liability what are are you suggesting someone parked badly or someone opened the door without looking