Options

Ipod on car CD player

MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bit of random one.....

New car has a pretty elderly CD player, which doesn't work very well.

Is there a way to get my Ipod Shuffle to work on it?

Maplins said there was something you could get to plug into the cigarette lighter, but car doesn't have one.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would help if you told us the make and model of the car, and if the stereo is a standard factory fit or an aftermarket stereo.

If an aftermarket stereo is fitted, the make and model will be helpful as well. (this should be shown on the front of the stereo somewhere)
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so the only thing you can plug into a cigarette lighter would be a charger. You will need a radio with a tape player or a aux port. so you can plug a wire from the headphone socket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I don't think so the only thing you can plug into a cigarette lighter would be a charger. You will need a radio with a tape player or a aux port. so you can plug a wire from the headphone socket.

The thing that plugs in will be a FM transmitter. I have never heard of car not having a 12v plug unless its really old
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an '06 Corsa and CD player is factory fit. :)

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    It's an '06 Corsa and CD player is factory fit. :)

Thanks

You should have a 12v socket then that a FM transmitter can plug into
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, reserved one from Halfords :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all, reserved one from Halfords :)

Is that a Fm transmitter? Which one did you go for as i had a look at halfords site and they range in quality for only a couple pound more. Also please tell me that you checked for a 12v socket first and didnt just take my word(and a quick look at a corsa 06 manual online) for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    panixs wrote: »
    Is that a Fm transmitter? Which one did you go for as i had a look at halfords site and they range in quality for only a couple pound more. Also please tell me that you checked for a 12v socket first and didnt just take my word(and a quick look at a corsa 06 manual online) for it.

Lol yes I did check.... I always wondered what that thing was. :blush:

I was going for the £24.99 tbh, to see how well it worked tbh, before spending any more.

Open to suggestions though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This one?
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=780953&langId=-1&categoryId=165635

That was going to be the one I recommend. I used to have one before I upgraded my car. Used to work very well and will charge your ipod as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep that one :)

Thanks again x
  • Options
    highwayman_nehighwayman_ne Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I have always found that the FM transmitters are not very good in my area.

If the car CD player an aux in and your device is bluetooth enabled (not sure if an i-shuffle is or not) then a bluetooth receiver is an alternative.

I use this with my i-phone in the car and dont get the static interference i do with an FM transmitter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Bluetooth-Wireless-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B004TKCFM8/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1422962366&sr=8-26&keywords=bluetooth+car+transmitter
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of problems with FM transmitter type devices,

First if the frequency is not adjustable then you may get interference from radio stations
    Check the location of your ariel, mine is at the back of the car which reduces the quality from the transmitter

Check the specifications of you stereo, vaxhull specific forum would probably be a good bet. Many have aux in connector on the back and you may just need a cable.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol yes I did check.... I always wondered what that thing was. :blush:

I was going for the £24.99 tbh, to see how well it worked tbh, before spending any more.

Open to suggestions though :)

If your going to spend £24.99. You can get a radio with aux input on Amazon for £49.99. With that you can guarantee a decent sound without interferance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KD-R331-Stereo-Front-Playback-Red/dp/B006L151LU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422963843&sr=1-1

I had one of these on my old car Citoren Xsara Picasso. Worked fine, The Ford Focus I now have has a USB port for the IPOD.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    If your going to spend £24.99. You can get a radio with aux input on Amazon for £49.99. With that you can guarantee a decent sound without interferance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-KD-R331-Stereo-Front-Playback-Red/dp/B006L151LU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1422963843&sr=1-1

I had one of these on my old car Citoren Xsara Picasso. Worked fine, The Ford Focus I now have has a USB port for the IPOD.

I was going to suggest getting a replacement stereo. Just a few things to bear in mind, you will probably need an adapter for the fascia and wiring, seen some on ebay for around £15. And if you have steering wheel controls, you will probably need an adapter for that if the stereo supports remote control.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    If the car CD player an aux in and your device is bluetooth enabled (not sure if an i-shuffle is or not) then a bluetooth receiver is an alternative
    If the player has as AUX In then may as well plug the device in direct rather than bother with a Bluetooth receiver.

BTW you can get an FM transmitter which is battery powered if you are in the situation where there is no AUX Power socket (aka cigar lighter).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM transmitters are complete shite in my experience. Sound quality is rubbish, even if you can find a clear station. (same as if you listen to a CD vs the radio) I had a Griffin iTrip years ago that switched itself off to save power if it couldn't detect a signal from your iPod or whatever, unfortunately for me my iPod was the first model that the EU decided that the sound output volume should be limited on to protect people's hearing. That caused a frustrating cycle of the iTrip shutting off because the volume was too low, and unplugging it/plugging it back in to make it wake up again would cause it to wipe the memory of the frequency it was told to broadcast on. It went in the bin after a couple of uses.

It might be worth checking if your factory fit radio can be fooled into taking an aux input - for example my Fiat factory fit radio can be fooled into using the CD changer in socket on the back with an £8 cable off eBay. I hate aftermarket stereos but it might be the way forward for you if this isn't an option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, did turn out to be a bit crap tbh.

Worked outside Halfords OK, but as soon as we moved, lost signal, so returned it.

Local place is going to have a look at for me next week, try to sort something out.

Nice guy in Halfords fixed the CD player though lol, needed cleaning :blush: