Options

Can you make lean minced beef

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
We are on a mission to start eating more healthly. Now for our spag bol we shold have lean meat but it's expensive. Is there a way of getting the cheaper mince leaner by boiling the fat of somehow?

Comments

• Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    If you could stretch to investing in a mincer, you could buy cheap cuts of beef from the butcher, trim off the fat and make your own lean mince. Otherwise, tweak your usual recipe a bit. Use less mince and bulk it out with things like mushrooms and lentils. Or maybe try out a few new, healthier recipes. I love a spag bol, but it's not really something you want to eat too regularly if you are are trying to be healthier...
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really need a mincer. I'm lucky to have a kenwood major with a mincer attachment. I must admit, I only ever buy good quality meat to mince- always topside/ rump, never cheap cuts. I haven't bought shop mince for over 7 years- the difference with the home made mince is incredible.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    We are on a mission to start eating more healthly. Now for our spag bol we shold have lean meat but it's expensive. Is there a way of getting the cheaper mince leaner by boiling the fat of somehow?

Same trick for all mince recipes. You lightly fry up the mince in a nonstick pan - no oil - for a few minutes, boil some water, add the water to the mince and then drain into a sieve which leeches away the rendered fat., Put the mince back in the hot pan to quickly steam off any spare water, then once it is dry again set aside and add to your recipe when needed.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same trick for all mince recipes. You lightly fry up the mince in a nonstick pan - no oil - for a few minutes, boil some water, add the water to the mince and then drain into a sieve which leeches away the rendered fat., Put the mince back in the hot pan to quickly steam off any spare water, then once it is dry again set aside and add to your recipe when needed.

Wouldn't you lose a lot of flavour doing this? I'dve thought the buying lean meat and mincing it to be the best way.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Wouldn't you lose a lot of flavour doing this? I'dve thought the buying lean meat and mincing it to be the best way.

Well, of course you lose flavour if you throw away the fat.....
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Substitute some of the mince beef with a healthier alternative, such as soya mince.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'd go with the filler route. Bulk up your meal with more veg or pulses and use regular mince (not too lean but not overly fatty).
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just buy extra lean mince from the supermarket.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I cook my Bolognese for 3-5 hours all the fat renders out and I just skim it off at the end.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    As I cook my Bolognese for 3-5 hours all the fat renders out and I just skim it off at the end.

3-5 hours :eek:, around 20-30 mins in our house :D
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »

I hour absolute minimum for me. I usually aim for at least two. You'd be amazed how much more flavour you get when you cook it long and slow.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »

Do what I always do. As soon as you go to the supermarket, head straight for the reduced section and see if they have steak mince ( 5% fat ) in there. Often they have packs of 500gm down from £4 to £2.60, with that days date on. No problem, just store them in your freezer for using later. I've always done this, and got organic steak meat at a fraction of the cost sometimes as well. I wouldn't ever buy cheap value range mince, bits of tube / gristle / bone - would rather not have beef in that case, and substitute lean pork or chicken. They make a delicious Bolognese.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A food processor is fine. It shreds beef with no problem. Use braising steak, or shin. Cook gently for several hours. Far far better than shop bought mince.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »

Seriously, cheap cuts need hours to tenderise and render down. Needs much longer. Try it, you will be amazed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fat is not your enemy. Sugar is.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    You can't boil-off fat, only water. You can pour out the water that appears after a few minutes of frying, but you'll be pouring out a lot of flavour as well as some (not all) fat.

If you buy a hand mincer (like this or this), you can then carefully select, steaks, beef joints or any other piece of meat that has less fat on it, cut it into strips (removing even more fat if you want) and mince it yourself.

A 21-day matured beef joint in Aldi costs about £8/Kg, so 500g of mince could cost £4, with no extra fat at all. That's probably comparable to extra lean minces from supermarkets, and they're probably not made from 21-day matured meat.

But something made with mince containing no fat will lack flavour and be dry.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just goto the local butcher and ask them to mince some lean meat.
    If they won't then they're not a very good butcher.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Why don't you try using turkey mince instead of beef? Deboned turkey drumstick minced and seasoned, I swear it has texture just like beef in spag bol, and it's really delicious, lean and healthy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    buy some beef, and get a hammer, cling film the beef and whack it with the hammer or mallet or whatever they use, then thread it through a mincer..don't forget to have a bowl , plate to hand for it to fall into..you then hopefully have lean mince beef :D
  • Options
    Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Fat is not your enemy. Sugar is.

Quite.